* RE: Problems with path resolution
@ 2001-08-27 16:49 bumps man
From: bumps man @ 2001-08-27 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

-----Original Message-----
From: "Gerald W. Shapiro" <gshapiro@cais.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:10:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: Problems with path resolution

> I just joined this list, and my question seems similar to Dan's. And
> perhaps it is a mingw group question, but here I go... joining the hoards
> of ignorant newbies bothering the list
>
> In one of the gprolog makefiles an auxiliary program takes a path
> and a filename as input. Built with cygwin1.dll, fopen() in the auziliary
> program has no problem finding /usr/local/blahblah/foo.h , but using
> -mno-cygwin, the same is not found. If I run the no-cygwin version outside
> the makefile, and provide a relative path, it works fine, but the
> no-cygwin version does not recognize the full unix-style path.  My cygwin
> installation root is c:\cygwin.
>
> Is there something dreadfully obvious that I am missing here?
>
> Gerald

I used to have similar issues with pathnames.
They were resolved when I made my root e:\
instead of e:\something\else.

A non-cygwin Win32 app doesn't understand your
cygwin root.  Making your cygwin root the
"real" root on a drive, you can take advantage
of the coincidence whereupon

/usr/local/lib/whatever

will often be interpreted as

e:\usr\local\lib\whatever

assuming that you launched whatever it is
you are running from the e: drive.

You may have to adjust / to \ sometimes.

For one thing, this allowed emacs (which
is a straight Win32 app) to jump to the
appropriate header files for the "next-error"
command.

(I assume this will work for c: as well;
I just like to have cygwin root on a different
partition.)

* RE: Problems with path resolution
@ 2001-08-27  8:04 Churchill, Dan  (MN65)
From: Churchill, Dan  (MN65) @ 2001-08-27  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christopher Faylor ', 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

> Asking a mailing list to provide you with support for a commercial
> product seems a little odd to me.

> cgf

Let me be clear.  The particular error, which I previously described as
"Fails with missing headers" is a message that says the file is not found
(my apologies, I don't have the verbatim text in front of me, nor a way to
run it again right now as I am home for the day).  The files that it says
are missing, are in fact, right where they belong.  The problem is that the
compiler can only find them if relative paths (./ ../, etc.) are provided in
the build command, not if the entire path is specified. This is an extremely
large compile, and it is not feasible, nor should it be necessary, for us to
try to change every instance of each call in all of the makefiles to use
relative paths.  As stated in my original post, the pathname specified in
the -I parameter to the compiler is correct, down to the last letter in both
spelling and capitalization.  The path does access my c: drive via the a /c
mount point, listed in the mount table in the original post, and the
suspicion was that somehow that mount point isn't functioning correctly,
either because of a misconfiguration on my part or because of a bug in
cygwin.

Since providing access to files in the file system is the job of OS, which
for this executable is cygwin, I thought it perfectly appropriate to post to
the _cygwin_ mailing list. I don't know for certain that this is a problem
with cygwin, but I certainly don't know that it's _not_ a probem with
cygwin, either. I simply wanted to go fishing for anyone who may have
experienced anything like this, with any type of application running under
cygwin.  If there is a more appropriate place to post, please let me know.
Wind River technical support is certainly a valid suggestion that I will use
if I need to.

Respectfully,
Dan Churchill

* Problems with path resolution
@ 2001-08-24 15:24 Churchill, Dan  (MN65)
From: Churchill, Dan  (MN65) @ 2001-08-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm experiencing a very odd problem with path resolution on the latest
version of Cygwin, DLL: 1.3.2, installer 2.78.2.3

Basically, the problem is the following: when we run a compiler, -I options
which include cygwin paths aren't resolving, leading to include files being
missed and dying compiles.

Attached are the mount tables and an example of the problem...

C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
\\mn65-bay2\C on /Owen/c type user (textmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (textmode)
c: on /c type user (binmode)

Compiling thus:
cd
/c/Data/Boldstroke/OCP/OCP/Infrastructure/PlatformServices/ACE_Wrappers/ace
ccppc -fno-implicit-templates

-B/c/Tornado/host/x86-win32/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/gcc-2.96/
          -DCPU=PPC604 -DVXWORKS -D_REENTRANT -ansi -fno-exceptions
          -fno-builtin -fno-defer-pop -fvolatile -nostdlib  -W -Wall
-Wno-format
          -fno-rtti
          -DACE_LACKS_RTTI
          -I/c/Tornado/target/h

-I/c/Data/Boldstroke/OCP/OCP/Infrastructure/PlatformServices/ACE_Wrappers
           -c  -o .obj/Basic_Types.o Basic_Types.cpp

Fails with missing headers which are present in the
/c/Data/Boldstroke/OCP/OCP/Infrastructure/PlatformServices/ACE_Wrappers
directory.

However, moving to the directory
/c/Data/Boldstroke/OCP/OCP/Infrastructure/PlatformServices/ACE_Wrappers/ace
in bash and utilizing the following compile line results in a partial
success(until a file needs to be included from another Cygwin directory)

ccppc -fno-implicit-templates

-B/c/Tornado/host/x86-win32/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/gcc-2.96/
          -DCPU=PPC604 -DVXWORKS -D_REENTRANT -ansi -fno-exceptions
          -fno-builtin -fno-defer-pop -fvolatile -nostdlib  -W -Wall
-Wno-format
          -fno-rtti
          -DACE_LACKS_RTTI
          -I/c/Tornado/target/h

-I/c/Data/Boldstroke/OCP/OCP/Infrastructure/PlatformServices/ACE_Wrappers
          -I..  #  <----- Note relative path!
          -c  -o .obj/Basic_Types.o Basic_Types.cpp

Any ideas why this would be happening? It seems to be a problem unique to
this machine --nobody else who uses Cygwin here has seen it before.

ccppc is a standard GCC 2.96 cross-compiler provided as part of the
WindRiver toolkit for embedded systems.

Sincerely,
Dan Churchill
Honeywell Labs