* FW: press for cygwin
@ 2001-08-31  9:39 Mark Bradshaw
From: Mark Bradshaw @ 2001-08-31  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did contact the list.  Had the help of some members.  WinZip was an
acceptable choice at the time.  The packages weren't in bz2 format, and I
don't need symlinks, etc. for the install to work.

> > Couple of quick notes on the thread.
> >
> > 1)  Complete agreement with Jonathon Merz on the WinZip
> thing.  Going to bz2
> > just to thwart WinZip doesn't seem like a good use of
> energy.  Unfortunately
> > at the time I wrote the article bz2 wasn't in use for the
> packages.  WinZip,
> > being the most popular zip tool for Windows, seemed the
> obvious choice for
> > unzipping the cygwin packages.  You wouldn't believe how
> long it takes to
> > get an article printed. :(
>

> But you missed the point of my original response: WinZip creates a
> *broken* installation.  The necessary registry entries are
> not created,
> and many packages contain symlinks which WinZip won't recreate. I'm
> surprised you were able to get it to work at all, when
> installing using
> WinZip.  (You *did* test your own instructions on a clean
> machine, right?)

It's not broken if you're just installing ssh, which is all the article
covers.  Yes, I did test it.

> > 2)  Goes the same for the references to old versions, etc.
> The article's
> > almost a year old now, believe it or not.
>

> Well, that's forgivable, then. :-)
>

> > 3)  Yes I know it's an unsupported install, but I think the
> point was missed
> > here.  Many windows admins won't install the full cygwin
> installation, and
> > most won't have a clue what to do with bash, etc.  The
> point here isn't to
> > exclude people from a great tool, but to help make an
> intermediate step more
> > palatable.  I know many will disagree with this, with
> sentiments along the
> > lines of "They should just learn how to work with it."  I
> disagree.  I think
> > it's worth it to get telnet replaced, in whatever fashion
> that happens.
> > Bashless or not.
>

> The following reference wasn't available "back then" but it is now:
> Michael Erdeley has a nice reference on a minimal ssh/cygwin
> installation.
>
> http://tech.erdeleynet.com/cygwin-sshd.asp

Thanks for the link.  I'm aware of Michael's info.  In fact, I'm on his list
and answer questions from time to time.

> > 4)  The weird "ps &-ef" and "kill &-HUP <PID>" commands are
> not my fault.
> > <whine>  The publisher's somehow managed to screw up some
> of the command
> > lines.  </whine>  They will be corrected soon hopefully.
>

> Yeah, that's what I thought.
>

> > I apologize if I've stepped on some toes with this article.
>  I know that
> > here I'm talking to the folks who are satisfied with the full cygwin
> > install, or are knowledgeable enough about it to install
> the portions
> > necessary without the hand holding.  You aren't the target
> audience for a
> > piece like this.  I hoped to catch those people who are
> largely unaware of
> > cygwin and ssh and maybe give them a push into using it.
> >

> Our main complaint comes from this:  hand holding for newbies
> is a good
> and necessary thing -- but the instructions given need to be
> accurate.
> And if your instructions are wrong, or lead to a broken
> installation --
> *WE* (the cygwin project) get the blame for a "crappy product".  "I
> tried that piece of #@!^ but couldn't get it to work."  etc.
>
> Or, "I followed the instructions at .... and STILL can't get
> cygwin to
> work" messages on the mailing list.
>
> --Chuck

Understood.  Feel free to point them my way.  "He did it."

* Re: soapbox - was: press for cygwin
@ 2001-08-31 18:25 Ronald W. Cook
From: Ronald W. Cook @ 2001-08-31 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: rwc

I would like to thank the cygwin developers and contributors
once again for all their hard efforts and time.

Sometime in my life, I was taught "Never look a gift horse in
the mouth."  For those who don't know what that means, a
horse has teeth that are very revealing of its age.

In particular, I almost sent a letter to Harold for Test 46 and
picked up Test 47 the next day having the new, at least one
way, clipboard feature.  So, thanks Harold.

I've even had my ears burnt/boxed from sending Christopher
personal mail.  Unless you contribute or develop and are
sanctioned - that is a no, no.  Like I said, thanks.

I thought the exchange between Mark and the list went quite
well, actually, considering enlightenment of perspectives.

Thankfully lurking,
Ron

PS.  I haven't figured how to keep my mail resources from
writing stupid date formats and don't want to perpetuate them
by going to a list so, I guess I am lacking of something  - time?
cowaro.com

[parent not found: <999371103.2145.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>]