* How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin?
@ 2001-09-03 16:08 Srinivas Kommu
From: Srinivas Kommu @ 2001-09-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a C program that uses the Win32 API and some curses functions. I was
amazed at the speed at which I could develop this program with cygwin and
gcc. cygwin is a wonderful thing, indeed. Now my problem is, how do I send
this .exe to someone that doesn't use cygwin? Is there a way to get rid of
the cygwin-specific dlls out of the executable? I tried -mno-cygwin but that
seems to be something else, totally.

thanks a lot!
kommu

bash $ cygcheck a.exe
Found: .\a.exe
.\a.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
        C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL

Use -h to see help about each section

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-03 18:02 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-03 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: kommu

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 04:08:38PM -0700, Srinivas Kommu wrote:
>I have a C program that uses the Win32 API and some curses functions. I was
>amazed at the speed at which I could develop this program with cygwin and
>gcc. cygwin is a wonderful thing, indeed. Now my problem is, how do I send
>this .exe to someone that doesn't use cygwin? Is there a way to get rid of
>the cygwin-specific dlls out of the executable? I tried -mno-cygwin but that...

There is no way to remove the cygwin DLL from programs that use cygwin.  Sorry.

I couldn't find this info in the FAQ, but it probably should be there.

cgf

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-08 10:21   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 3 Sep 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
> There is no way to remove the cygwin DLL from programs that use cygwin.  Sorry.
>
> I couldn't find this info in the FAQ, but it probably should be there.

Indeed.  I'll add something.

Cheers,
David

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-21 11:26   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 3 Sep 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
> There is no way to remove the cygwin DLL from programs that use cygwin.  Sorry.
>
> I couldn't find this info in the FAQ, but it probably should be there.

Chris,

I added the following entry to the "Programming Questions" section of
the FAQ:

	"Can I build a Cygwin program that does not require
	cygwin1.dll at runtime?"

	No.  If your program uses the Cygwin API, then your executable
	cannot run without cygwin1.dll.  In particular, it is not
	possible to statically link with a Cygwin library to obtain an
	independent, self-contained executable.

	If this is an issue because you intend to distribute your
	Cygwin application, then you had better read and understand
	< http://cygwin.com/licensing.html >, which explains the
	licensing options.  Unless you purchase a special commercial
	license from Red Hat, then your Cygwin application must
	conform to the GPL.

I call your attention to the last paragraph.  I'm pretty sure it's
correct, but I don't speak for Red Hat, so someone should check that I
haven't lied.

Thanks,
David

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-21 11:28     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 07:26:08PM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Monday 3 Sep 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
>> There is no way to remove the cygwin DLL from programs that use cygwin.  Sorry.
>>
>> I couldn't find this info in the FAQ, but it probably should be there.
>
>I added the following entry to the "Programming Questions" section of
>the FAQ:
>
>	"Can I build a Cygwin program that does not require
>	cygwin1.dll at runtime?"
>
>	No.  If your program uses the Cygwin API, then your executable
>	cannot run without cygwin1.dll.  In particular, it is not
>	possible to statically link with a Cygwin library to obtain an
>	independent, self-contained executable.
>
>	If this is an issue because you intend to distribute your
>	Cygwin application, then you had better read and understand
>	< http://cygwin.com/licensing.html >, which explains the
>	licensing options.  Unless you purchase a special commercial
>	license from Red Hat, then your Cygwin application must
>	conform to the GPL.
>
>I call your attention to the last paragraph.  I'm pretty sure it's
>correct, but I don't speak for Red Hat, so someone should check that I
>haven't lied.

It's perfect, David.

Thanks much for adding this section and for all of your work on the FAQ.
It is very much appreciated.

cgf

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-21 17:28       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-09-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > If this is an issue because you intend to distribute your
> > Cygwin application, then you had better read and understand
> > < http://cygwin.com/licensing.html >, which explains the
> > licensing options.  Unless you purchase a special commercial
> > license from Red Hat, then your Cygwin application must
> > conform to the GPL.
> >
> >I call your attention to the last paragraph.  I'm pretty sure it's
> >correct, but I don't speak for Red Hat, so someone should check that
> >haven't lied.
>
> It's perfect, David.

I've a little bone to pick: It's not consistent with the licensing.html
page which permits any opensource license, not just the GPL. This will
likely create confusion.

> Thanks much for adding this section and for all of your work on the
FAQ.
> It is very much appreciated.

I second this.

Rob

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-21 18:12         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 10:29:00AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

Nice catch, Robert.  I missed this.

cgf

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-22  1:51           ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-22  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Friday 21 Sep 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 10:29:00AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

Sorry!  Here's what is in the FAQ now:

    ... Unless you purchase a special commercial license from Red Hat,
    then your software must comply with the Open Source Definition or
    the GPL.

Better?

Cheers,
David

* Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-22  6:13             ` Adrian Phillips
From: Adrian Phillips @ 2001-09-22  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning; +Cc: cygwin

    David>     ... Unless you purchase a special commercial license
    David> from Red Hat, then your software must comply with the Open
    David> Source Definition or the GPL.

Why both ? (GPL is an OSD/DFSG license)

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

* RE: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-22  6:27             ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2001-09-22  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin

Hi David,

>>> I've a little bone to pick: It's not consistent with the
>>> licensing.html page which permits any opensource license, not just
>>> the GPL. This will likely create confusion.
>> Nice catch, Robert.  I missed this.
> Sorry!  Here's what is in the FAQ now:
>     ... Unless you purchase a special commercial license from Red Hat,
>     then your software must comply with the Open Source Definition or
>     the GPL.
I'd make it ".. with the Open Source Definition, like the GPL."
                                                 ^^^^
Otherwise, ye might think GPL doesn't conform to the Open Source
Definition..

Greetz!

Ronald

* RE: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert
@ 2001-09-22 12:26               ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Saturday 22 Sep 01, Ronald Landheer writes:
> I'd make it ".. with the Open Source Definition, like the GPL."
>                                                  ^^^^
> Otherwise, ye might think GPL doesn't conform to the Open Source
> Definition..

Ah.  Well, I didn't actually *read* the OSD. :-)

Thanks for setting me straight, sorry for the ignorance.  And the
traffic.

Cheers,
David