* Network Pond Racers
@ 2001-09-06 16:30 Dana Steil
From: Dana Steil @ 2001-09-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

* VIRUS ALERT - a trojan horse was spread through this list
@ 2001-09-07  1:05 ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2001-09-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,

If you've opened the attachment that came with the mail below, you've been infected with the SIRCAM trojan horse.
I have attached a fix tool from Trend Micro (propriety software - sorry folks but I think this kinda supersedes personal objections to such) to fix it.

Please keep it around in case you get the mail below again (might be in Spanish), and reply with sending this file - I've received this trojan at least ten times already.

Greetz!

Ronald Landheer
Real Life Systems < http://www.rlsystems.net >

From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-09-07  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Landheer, cygwin

Hello Roland, all,

Did you check the attachment?

         NOTE:  An executable program which was attached to your email
         has been automatically removed.
         (snip)

In any case, I know you mean well, but DO NOT attach executables to posts
to this mailing list, ever!  If you want to alert people, and tell them
about such a fix tool, please point them to a reliable source on the Web
where they can download it.
People should NEVER trust such tools that come in by email.

  - Michael

At 09:53 7-9-2001, Ronald Landheer wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>If you've opened the attachment that came with the mail below, you've been
>infected with the SIRCAM trojan horse.
>I have attached a fix tool from Trend Micro (propriety software - sorry
>folks but I think this kinda supersedes personal objections to such) to fix it.
>
>Please keep it around in case you get the mail below again (might be in
>Spanish), and reply with sending this file - I've received this trojan at
>least ten times already.
>
>Greetz!
>
>Ronald Landheer
>Real Life Systems < http://www.rlsystems.net >

     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning
     of life.  It was not what I expected.                  - Dogbert

* RE: VIRUS ALERT - a trojan horse was spread through this list
@ 2001-09-07  7:36   ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2001-09-07  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Landheer, cygwin

Very well:

find it here: http://www.antivirus.com (the Trend Micro site)
look for SIRCAM in the search box.

As for trusting tools sent by E-mail: you're right that it's generally not a good idea. (That doesn't mean the file I attached is not trustworthy, though).

Greetz!

Ronald

@ 2001-09-07  7:54     ` Cliff Hones
From: Cliff Hones @ 2001-09-07  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info; +Cc: cygwin

Ronald Landheer writes:

> Very well:
>
> find it here: http://www.antivirus.com (the Trend Micro site)
> look for SIRCAM in the search box.
>
> As for trusting tools sent by E-mail: you're right that it's generally not a good idea.
> (That doesn't mean the file I attached is not trustworthy, though).

You are in danger of upsetting a number of people on this mailing list.
The general rule is *never* respond to apparent virus or spam mailings - this
only multiplies the junk we all have to plough through.

(Sorry, I know I'm doing just that right now :-)).

And, in this particular case, if you had bothered to look at the
body of the alleged SIRCAM virus you were warning us about, you would
have spotted that the originator's email system had already stripped
out the virus - so it couldn't possibly have infected anyone.

-- Cliff