* RE: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 15:27 Troy Noble
From: Troy Noble @ 2001-09-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hah!  That's good.

And I also saw Chuck's note about scp working... so maybe it's a non-issue.

This was many years ago... these rcp/rsh clients were from circa
Sun 3.x days, Apollo Domain OS 10.x, and dare I say it... Xenix on 286's.

Thought I'd bring it up, since it's one of the few things I can
remember from that long ago.   I'm just happy when a long-term memory
cell kicks in occasionally ;->

Troy

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-10 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:27:40PM -0600, Troy Noble wrote:
> Hah!  That's good.
>
> And I also saw Chuck's note about scp working... so maybe it's a non-issue.

But that's not quite true.  This was a long discussed topic on
the openssh-usinx-dev mailing list about the unluck interference
of profile output and scp... Hrm, it's some months ago, I
wonder if it's solved somehow and I didn't pay attention...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 16:39   ` Mark Gordon
From: Mark Gordon @ 2001-09-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:41:46 +0200, Corinna Vinschen
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:27:40PM -0600, Troy Noble wrote:
>> Hah!  That's good.
>>
>> And I also saw Chuck's note about scp working... so maybe it's a non-issue.
>
>But that's not quite true.  This was a long discussed topic on
>the openssh-usinx-dev mailing list about the unluck interference
>of profile output and scp... Hrm, it's some months ago, I
>wonder if it's solved somehow and I didn't pay attention...

I was recently (within the past few weeks) having problems with scp
due to this, so it is still a potential problem with some systems.

If people are seriously interested I can investigate this further. It
may be that one of the systems involved has an old version of ssh
causing the problem.

IIRC I put in some traps to prevent the output when there was no
terminal. I'm sure the same could be done under CygWin.
--
Mark Gordon - To email me replace spamtrap with mark.gordon
	A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 17:10     ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-09-10 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 01:36 11-9-2001, Mark Gordon wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:27:40PM -0600, Troy Noble wrote:
> >> Hah!  That's good.
> >>
> >> And I also saw Chuck's note about scp working... so maybe it's a
> non-issue.
> >
> >But that's not quite true.  This was a long discussed topic on
> >the openssh-usinx-dev mailing list about the unluck interference
> >of profile output and scp... Hrm, it's some months ago, I
> >wonder if it's solved somehow and I didn't pay attention...
>
>I was recently (within the past few weeks) having problems with scp
>due to this, so it is still a potential problem with some systems.
>
>If people are seriously interested I can investigate this further. It
>may be that one of the systems involved has an old version of ssh
>causing the problem.

I don't think this should be a problem - /etc/profile is only called for
login shells.

I just tested my RedHat box (running openssh 2.5.2p2), and this works as it
should:
         $ ssh machine
runs /etc/profile, but
         $ ssh machine ls
and
         $ scp machine:file .
do not.

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-11  2:19       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-11  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 02:10:00AM +0200, Michael Schaap wrote:

> > non-issue.
> > >
> > >But that's not quite true.  This was a long discussed topic on
> > >the openssh-usinx-dev mailing list about the unluck interference
> > >of profile output and scp... Hrm, it's some months ago, I
> > >wonder if it's solved somehow and I didn't pay attention...
> >
> >I was recently (within the past few weeks) having problems with scp
> >due to this, so it is still a potential problem with some systems.
> >
> >If people are seriously interested I can investigate this further. It
> >may be that one of the systems involved has an old version of ssh
> >causing the problem.
>
> I don't think this should be a problem - /etc/profile is only called for
> login shells.

Eventually I figured that out.  The problem is ~/.bashrc.   If
your login shell is bash and bash has been started by rshd/sshd,
it executes ~/.bashrc.  So the rule is, no output in ~/.bashrc.

And, IIRC, the same rule applies for tcsh and ~/.cshrc.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* output allowed in .bashrc and .tcshrc (Was: Virus Found)
@ 2001-09-11  2:44         ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-11  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

On Tuesday 11 Sep 01, Corinna Vinschen writes:
> ... If your login shell is bash and bash has been started by
> rshd/sshd, it executes ~/.bashrc.  So the rule is, no output in
> ~/.bashrc.
>
> And, IIRC, the same rule applies for tcsh and ~/.cshrc.

Just to be precise and complete...

That's almost correct.  Your *are* allowed to generate output in
.bashrc (and in .cshrc for tcsh) for *interactive* shells only.  The
usual way to test is to check for the existence of a prompt.  ($PS1 in
bash, $prompt in tcsh.)  If no prompt is defined, you must not
generate *any* output.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David

* Re: output allowed in .bashrc and .tcshrc (Was: Virus Found)
@ 2001-09-11  2:53           ` Mark Gordon
From: Mark Gordon @ 2001-09-11  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:44:32 +0100, David Starks-Browning
<starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 Sep 01, Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> ... If your login shell is bash and bash has been started by
>> rshd/sshd, it executes ~/.bashrc.  So the rule is, no output in
>> ~/.bashrc.
>>
>> And, IIRC, the same rule applies for tcsh and ~/.cshrc.
>
>Just to be precise and complete...
>
>That's almost correct.  Your *are* allowed to generate output in
>.bashrc (and in .cshrc for tcsh) for *interactive* shells only.  The
>usual way to test is to check for the existence of a prompt.  ($PS1 in
>bash, $prompt in tcsh.)  If no prompt is defined, you must not
>generate *any* output.

On the SCO box I have here with tcsh the same applies to
/etc/csh.cshrc (I just tested this).

You can (on this system at least) get away with calling stty on
non-interactive shells, although it does generate an error so one
probably should not.

Unfortunately on this SCO box (which I did not set up) it was doing
ALL of the things it should not!
--

@ 2001-09-11  3:10           ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-09-11  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 11:44 11-9-2001, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Tuesday 11 Sep 01, Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > ... If your login shell is bash and bash has been started by
> > rshd/sshd, it executes ~/.bashrc.  So the rule is, no output in
> > ~/.bashrc.

Even .bashrc is only supposed to be called on interactive shells.  (Unless
BASH_ENV = "$HOME/.bashrc" which it really shouldn't, but seems to be
commonly done.)
Unfortunately, both "ssh machine command" and "scp ..." _do_ run
.bashrc.  I have no idea why, since
         ssh machine 'echo $-'
shows that it is really a non-interactive shell.

> > And, IIRC, the same rule applies for tcsh and ~/.cshrc.

Can't comment there, not a csh user

>Just to be precise and complete...
>
>That's almost correct.  Your *are* allowed to generate output in
>.bashrc (and in .cshrc for tcsh) for *interactive* shells only.  The
>usual way to test is to check for the existence of a prompt.  ($PS1 in
>bash, $prompt in tcsh.)  If no prompt is defined, you must not
>generate *any* output.

The documented way for Bash to check if a shell is interactive is by
checking if $- contains 'i'.  For example:
         if [[ $- = *i* ]] ; then
             echo Interactive
         fi

  - Michael

--

@ 2001-09-11  3:25             ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-11  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schaap; +Cc: cygwin

On Tuesday 11 Sep 01, Michael Schaap writes:
> Even .bashrc is only supposed to be called on interactive shells.  (Unless
> BASH_ENV = "$HOME/.bashrc" which it really shouldn't, but seems to be
> commonly done.)
> Unfortunately, both "ssh machine command" and "scp ..." _do_ run
> .bashrc.  I have no idea why, since
>          ssh machine 'echo $-'
> shows that it is really a non-interactive shell.

It must be this, from the bash(1) man page:

       Bash  attempts  to  determine  when it is being run by the
       remote shell daemon, usually rshd.  If bash determines  it
       is  being run by rshd, it reads and executes commands from
       ~/.bashrc, if that file exists and is readable.   ...

So the observed behavior is documented, with sshd in place of rshd.

> The documented way for Bash to check if a shell is interactive is by
> checking if $- contains 'i'.  For example:
>          if [[ $- = *i* ]] ; then
>              echo Interactive
>          fi

Thanks for the lesson!

Cheers,
David

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-14 14:11             ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2001-09-14 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schaap, Cygwin Library General Discussion

Michael Schaap wrote:
> At 23:49 10-9-2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> Yeah! Instead of the usual advertising lies about the downsides
>> of the software you're just installing (e.g. "The new activation
>> feature helps you to avoid copyright infringements"), Cygwin's
>> setup would give some useful hints to the user:
>>
>>     "NEVER move your Cygwin DLL into your Windows directory!"
>>
>>     "Wanna use ssh? Check out /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
>>      and start ssh-user-config!"
>>
>>     "On NT, Cygwin uses the Windows password, on 9x, use `crypt'
>>      to generate passwords to put into /etc/passwd."
>>
>>     etc...
>

> Or how about a "tip of the day" feature in cygwin1.dll that shows one of
> these in a message box every time the dll is loaded?  :-)

GAAKKKKKK !  I hope that's a joke.  Tip-of-the-day messages are the
biggest insult going.  I don't need my software to say "Hey, A*****e,
you can open a file by using the Control+O keyboard shortcut."  If I
want to be insulted, there are plenty of people I can call.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
nice guy.

* RE: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-11 13:42               ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2001-09-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Landheer; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Ronald Landheer wrote:

> Oh please - do provide!
>
> Thanx!

At Chuck's suggestion I will submit it after the no-new-packages
moratorium is over. This will probably make life easier for people.

[SNIP]

--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin

* RE: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-11  0:04             ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2001-09-11  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman, cygwin

Oh please - do provide!

Thanx!

Ronald

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 19:23                 ` Jon Cast
From: Jon Cast @ 2001-09-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just to set your mind at ease...

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote on Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:17:11 -0400:

> Forgive me, if you already know this but you can't use cygwin as the
> basis of a commercial application unless you provide the sources for
> your apps and for the cygwin DLL, if you are distributing it.

Yes I know this.  The (planned) apps will be GPLed, and I will ship
full source for the entire thing.

> Also, if you are distributing the Cygwin DLL or any of its
> associated utilities, you also can't just point to the cygwin web
> site and say "Get them over there."  You must provide the sources
> for any software you distribute.  You can't rely on Red Hat to
> maintain a distribution of the sources.

I know this too.  Actually, I'm targeting absolute beginners (to
*real* programs, anyway), and I don't want them frightened by the
commandline nature of the standard Cygwin distribution :) So, I'll
mention www.cygwin.com when I mention how to get your binaries, but
not before.

> The "Licensing Terms" link at the cygwin web site goes into more
> details.

Great license, btw.  Now, if only we could get the FSF to recommend
it...

Jon Cast

p.s.  You don't need to Cc: me; I'm suscribed (disregard if this was
generated by a perl script or something)

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 18:17               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-10 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jcast

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 06:56:54PM -0500, Jon Cast wrote:
>I plan to use Cygwin as the base for some commercial apps...

Forgive me, if you already know this but you can't use cygwin as the
basis of a commercial application unless you provide the sources for
your apps and for the cygwin DLL, if you are distributing it.

Also, if you are distributing the Cygwin DLL or any of its associated
utilities, you also can't just point to the cygwin web site and say "Get
them over there."  You must provide the sources for any software you
distribute.  You can't rely on Red Hat to maintain a distribution
of the sources.

The "Licensing Terms" link at the cygwin web site goes into more details.

cgf

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 17:16               ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-09-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 01:56 11-9-2001, Jon Cast wrote:
>Michael Schaap <cygwin@mscha.com> wrote on Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:00:34 +0200:
>
> > Or how about a "tip of the day" feature in cygwin1.dll that shows
> > one of these in a message box every time the dll is loaded?  :-)
> > Instructions on how to turn that off will NOT be given in the
> > mailing list, but can only be found in the documentation and in the
> > FAQ.
>
>I don't think this is as good an idea as the `fortune' idea (or maybe
>hacking together a fortune GUI).  Simply put, you DON'T want to hear
>from the kernel if you can help it.  Furthermore, this type of kernel
>message, especially, implies one of three things: inflexibility in the
>UI (i.e., getting a Win32 message box when launching an X app), bloat
>in the kernel (``somehow'' dwiming what GUI library the user wants
>(Win32 or X), and what toolkit an X user wants, and ...), or a
>/really/ clever hack.

I can assure you that this was not a serious suggestion.  (Note the
smiley.)  :-)

And even if it was, since I suggested it without offering a patch, there's
no change of it being implemented.  ;-)

  - Michael

(Next suggestion: cygwin1.dll will monitor all traffic on TCP port 25.  If
the recipients of a mail include a Cygwin mailing list, it will check the
browser cache for http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
.  If it is not found, it won't let the mail be sent.  Watch this space for
the patch.  :-) )

--

@ 2001-09-10 16:56             ` Jon Cast
From: Jon Cast @ 2001-09-10 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schaap

Michael Schaap <cygwin@mscha.com> wrote on Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:00:34 +0200:

> Or how about a "tip of the day" feature in cygwin1.dll that shows
> one of these in a message box every time the dll is loaded?  :-)
> Instructions on how to turn that off will NOT be given in the
> mailing list, but can only be found in the documentation and in the
> FAQ.

I don't think this is as good an idea as the `fortune' idea (or maybe
hacking together a fortune GUI).  Simply put, you DON'T want to hear
from the kernel if you can help it.  Furthermore, this type of kernel
message, especially, implies one of three things: inflexibility in the
UI (i.e., getting a Win32 message box when launching an X app), bloat
in the kernel (``somehow'' dwiming what GUI library the user wants
(Win32 or X), and what toolkit an X user wants, and ...), or a
/really/ clever hack.

Finally, as a developer I would prefer this kernel message be left
out.  I plan to use Cygwin as the base for some commercial apps.  I
want beginning users of those apps to be able to mostly ignore
Cygwin's presence, but I don't see how they can ignore it if Cygwin
pops up a ``tip of the day'' message (apparently) sporadically when
they run one of the programs.  I can accept having to modify Cygwin's
settings to suppress the message, but I would rather modify
/etc/profile than some kernel setting :)

>  - Michael

Jon Cast

p.s.  List magnates: don't worry; I'll do everything in my power to
make sure users using my setup of Cygwin don't think of posting to
this list.

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 16:52             ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-10 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: cygwin

Michael Hoffman wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Charles Wilson wrote:
>

>>How about a port of 'fortune' with a custom 'tips' database?  Put it
>>in the default /etc/profile...
>>

> I thought this was a great idea. You can get fortune from:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/games/amusements/fortune/fortune-mod-9708.tar.gz
>
> Change the makefile so REGEXDEFS=-DHAVE_REGEX_H -DPOSIX_REGEX and it
> will build correctly.
>
> I created a cygwin-tips database from the source of the FAQ file
> how-using.texinfo. Works like a charm. I could easily add in the other
> how-* files and automate this with perl.
>
> Is anyone actually interested in this?

Yes.  (Although it will have to wait for the end of the no-new-packages
moratorium.)

--Chuck

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 16:32           ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2001-09-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 15:31           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Drage; +Cc: Jonathon Merz, cygwin

Nick Drage wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Jonathon Merz wrote:
>
>>That is actually a good idea IMHO.  (Though you may be right that
>>"flashing" it is not the way to go :) Putting a message about turning off
>>virus scanners early in the install (maybe something like "Turn off your
>>virus scanner during this installation, see the FAQ for more info.").
>>

> Do you really want to encourage users to disable virus programs before
> installing software?  That is *very* bad practice.

Only buggy ones like McAfee that *routinely* flags normal .tar.gz and
.tar.bz2 files as "viruses".  It would be nice if we could say "update
your .dat files" but so far, McAfee has shown now interest in improving
this "feature".

>>I certainly can't speak for everyone, I usually don't read readme files
>>until _after_ I install software unless there is something that tells me
>>it would really be in my interest to do so beforehand.
>>

> You really should get in to the habit of reading them beforehand, that way
> you get to see what you would have broken rather than what you just broke.

Well, it's not really his fault. Setup doesn't currently let you see the
README; you HAVE to install it first.  (obvious gratuitious setup
feature "suggestion" goes here).

--Chuck

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 15:26         ` Nick Drage
From: Nick Drage @ 2001-09-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathon Merz; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Jonathon Merz wrote:
> That is actually a good idea IMHO.  (Though you may be right that
> "flashing" it is not the way to go :) Putting a message about turning off
> virus scanners early in the install (maybe something like "Turn off your
> virus scanner during this installation, see the FAQ for more info.").

Do you really want to encourage users to disable virus programs before
installing software?  That is *very* bad practice.

> I certainly can't speak for everyone, I usually don't read readme files
> until _after_ I install software unless there is something that tells me
> it would really be in my interest to do so beforehand.

You really should get in to the habit of reading them beforehand, that way
you get to see what you would have broken rather than what you just broke.

--
irreversibility allotter rehabilitate

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 15:24 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Troy Noble; +Cc: cygwin

Troy Noble wrote:

>>How about a port of 'fortune' with a custom 'tips' database?  Put it in
>>the default /etc/profile...
>>

>>--Chuck
>>

> I do like that idea, however...
>
> I know some versions of Unix rcp client used to get confused if
> the shell startup scripts (like ~/.profile or /etc/profile)
> on the target machine emit any output to stdout.
>
> Don't know if scp suffers from the same malady, but making the
> /etc/profile spit out information to stdout might obviate the
> need for users of scp, rcp, rsh to go remove the fortune invocation
> from /etc/profile.
>
> introducing yet another FAQ ;->
>
> Just my $0.02, a throwback from my former Unix admin days.

No, the machines I use at work spit stuff out to stdout, and I use scp
all the time:

scp majors.htm cwilson@xxxx:
cwilson@xxxx's password:
stty: : Invalid argument
stty: : Invalid argument
scp: warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
majors.htm           100% |*****************************|   293 KB    00:04

That stty: warning is coming from the .cshrc file on the remote machine,
but it doesn't interfere with the file transfer.

--Chuck

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 15:20 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-10 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 15:16 Troy Noble
From: Troy Noble @ 2001-09-10 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Charles Wilson', cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 15:10         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-10 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 15:00           ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-09-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 14:51       ` Jonathon Merz
From: Jonathon Merz @ 2001-09-10 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> The more obvious, the better!  Do you think you can get this entry to
> flash in front for of user's when they install? ;-)
>
> Thanks David for your very helpful suggestion.  Before anyone misinteprets
> my "suggestion" as serious, I want to clarify it was not.

That is actually a good idea IMHO.  (Though you may be right that "flashing"
it is not the way to go :)  Putting a message about turning off virus scanners
early in the install (maybe something like "Turn off your virus scanner during
this installation, see the FAQ for more info.").  I certainly can't speak for
everyone, I usually don't read readme files until _after_ I install software
unless there is something that tells me it would really be in my interest to
do so beforehand.

Just my thoughts.

-Jon

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 14:50         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-10 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:37:01PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >The more obvious, the better!  Do you think you can get this entry to
> >flash in front for of user's when they install? ;-)
>
> You've got a smiley there, but I think that this actually might be a good idea.
> I'd like to add more words to the setup process like:
>
> "Turn off your virus software" and "Hey!  Check out /usr/doc for more info."

Yeah! Instead of the usual advertising lies about the downsides
of the software you're just installing (e.g. "The new activation
feature helps you to avoid copyright infringements"), Cygwin's
setup would give some useful hints to the user:

    "NEVER move your Cygwin DLL into your Windows directory!"

    "Wanna use ssh? Check out /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
     and start ssh-user-config!"

    "On NT, Cygwin uses the Windows password, on 9x, use `crypt'
     to generate passwords to put into /etc/passwd."

    etc...

I like the idea :-)

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 14:36       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-10 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 11:44     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-10 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin

       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0109101306260.15473-100000@fido.mgh.harvard.>
@ 2001-09-10 11:37   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-09-10 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-10 11:30 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0109101306260.15473-100000@fido.mgh.harvard.>
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-10 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Urbach, cygwin

At 02:08 PM 9/10/2001, Jonathan M. Urbach wrote:

>Hello!
>
>         I was installing cygwin from the internet. I believe that I was
>using the mirrors.rcn.net download site. My virus software, VirusScan,
>detected a virus in
>gdb\gdb-20010428-1.src.tar.gz.tmp\GDB-20010428-1-SRC.TAR.GZ
>
>         You might want to check on that.

You should refer to the FAQ for things like this (it makes for useful
reading regardless of course!)  Here's the appropriate entry for this
case:

The README says I should turn off anti-virus software. Isn't that dangerous?
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC10

* Virus Found
@ 2001-09-10 11:11 Jonathan M. Urbach
From: Jonathan M. Urbach @ 2001-09-10 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello!

	I was installing cygwin from the internet. I believe that I was
using the mirrors.rcn.net download site. My virus software, VirusScan,
detected a virus in
gdb\gdb-20010428-1.src.tar.gz.tmp\GDB-20010428-1-SRC.TAR.GZ

	You might want to check on that.

Jonathan

Jonathan M. Urbach, Ph.D.
Bioinformatics Group