* "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way"
@ 2001-09-10 15:44 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

One of our regular cygwin mailing list contributors (and frequent 'agent
provocatuer') has pointed me to a wonderful article written by Eric S.
Raymond.

It is entitled "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way" and it is here:

Here's the first paragraph:

"In the world of hackers, the kind of answers you get to your technical
questions depends as much on the way you ask the questions as on the
difficulty of developing the answer.  This guide will teach you how to
ask questions in a way that is likely to get you a satisfactory answer."

If you have the time, this article is, IMO, well worth a read.

If you don't have the time, and you still want to get questions answered
by the hacker volunteers who man free software projects, then you really
should make the time anyway and read this article.

cgf

* Re: "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way"
@ 2001-09-10 15:48 ` tplesco
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: tplesco @ 2001-09-10 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So do you think we should read Eric Raymond's article?

(just kidding!)

@ 2001-09-10 15:51   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-10 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:49:41PM -0700, tplesco wrote:
>So do you think we should read Eric Raymond's article?
>
>(just kidding!)

Hah.  Humor!  Hackers like humor!  It says so right in the article.  :-)

cgf

@ 2001-09-10 15:56 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-10 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bravo!  This one got a bookmark from me so I can point folks to it in the
future! :-)

@ 2001-09-10 16:20 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-10 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 06:44:11PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> One of our regular cygwin mailing list contributors (and frequent 'agent
> provocatuer') has pointed me to a wonderful article written by Eric S.
> Raymond.
>
> It is entitled "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way" and it is here:
>
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That article is really good. And so true...
I didn't know STFW so far ;-)

What about STFMLA - Search The F*cking Mailing List Archive?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-11 14:26 ` Paul G.
From: Paul G. @ 2001-09-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Excellent Article.

Worthy of being added as a standard link in all mailing lists dealing with technical questions and
answers.

	Paul G.

On 10 Sep 2001 at 18:44, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> One of our regular cygwin mailing list contributors (and frequent 'agent
> provocatuer') has pointed me to a wonderful article written by Eric S.
> Raymond.
>
> It is entitled "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way" and it is here:
>
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> Here's the first paragraph:
>
> "In the world of hackers, the kind of answers you get to your technical
> questions depends as much on the way you ask the questions as on the
> difficulty of developing the answer.  This guide will teach you how to
> ask questions in a way that is likely to get you a satisfactory answer."
>
> If you have the time, this article is, IMO, well worth a read.
>
> If you don't have the time, and you still want to get questions answered
> by the hacker volunteers who man free software projects, then you really
> should make the time anyway and read this article.
>
> cgf
>
> --

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* Re: "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way"
@ 2001-09-11 14:37   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-11 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 02:26:19PM -0800, Paul G. wrote:
>Excellent Article.
>
>Worthy of being added as a standard link in all mailing lists dealing
>with technical questions and answers.

It's already added to http://cygwin.com/bugs.html .

cgf