* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-18  9:29 Serge Pluess
From: Serge Pluess @ 2001-09-18  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ok

here is what I have done in the meanwhile. I installed the latest setup.exe on 2 more windows 2000 professional servers and 1 more windows 2000 server and the results are the same on each of them.

All the machines are part of an Windows NT domain with approx 300 users.
All the machines have SP 2 and all critical updates installed.
All the machines are logged in as a DOMAIN user with administrative rights

The PDC and BDC are running Windows NT 4.0 SP6

If I run mkpasswd -d or mkpasswd -d DOMAIN I get 12 entries with the first 3
being Everyone, SYSTEM and Administrators followed by the first 9 users
of the domain.

If on any of those machines I go to a share permission and click on Add I get the
full list of the DOMAIN users (~300)

I tried this being logged in as myself as a DOMAIN user with admin rights and
I also tried it with the administrator login of the domain.

Same results. I am pretty much at the end of things and time to try to get this to work.

Hope this helps, thanks

Serge

@ 2001-09-18 10:22 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-18 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:01:14AM -0700, Serge Pluess wrote:
> Ok
>
> here is what I have done in the meanwhile. I installed the latest setup.exe on 2 more windows 2000 professional servers and 1 more windows 2000 server and the results are the same on each of them.
>
> All the machines are part of an Windows NT domain with approx 300 users.
> All the machines have SP 2 and all critical updates installed.
> All the machines are logged in as a DOMAIN user with administrative rights
>
> The PDC and BDC are running Windows NT 4.0 SP6
>
> If I run mkpasswd -d or mkpasswd -d DOMAIN I get 12 entries with the first 3
> being Everyone, SYSTEM and Administrators followed by the first 9 users
> of the domain.
>
> If on any of those machines I go to a share permission and click on Add I get the
> full list of the DOMAIN users (~300)
>
> I tried this being logged in as myself as a DOMAIN user with admin rights and
> I also tried it with the administrator login of the domain.
>
> Same results. I am pretty much at the end of things and time to try to get this to work.
>
> Hope this helps, thanks

Unfortunately the above isn't exactly what I conceive as debugging.
You should build a debugging version of mkpasswd and step through it
using gdb.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-17 12:47             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-17 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 03:43:47PM -0400, Li-Kai Liu wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>>>actually, i am using ntsec. does ntsec have impact on what mkpasswd or
>>>mkgroup is outputting?
>>>

>>Nope.  It can't.  ntsec needs the passwd file which mkpasswd
>>produces.  It's a chicken-egg problem.
>>
>>Corinna
>>
>i thought so ... is there a way to make mkpasswd generate correct group
>id output?
>
>or else, i've thought of writing a small program that gracefully
>combines current cygwin setting (/etc/passwd, /etc/group) and NT setting
>(mkpasswd, mkgroup). everytime i change a user on NT requires me to
>first generate mkpasswd over existing /etc/passwd, potentially losing
>info on user shell selection, and lose the past manual corrections on
>group id. the small program will take care of automatically correcting
>group id in mkpasswd output and importing shell selection from previous
>/etc/passwd. do you think there is necessity in doing this?

I think that you should add this capability to mkpasswd and mkgroup if
it is important.

cgf

* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-17 12:43           ` Li-Kai Liu
From: Li-Kai Liu @ 2001-09-17 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>actually, i am using ntsec. does ntsec have impact on what mkpasswd or
>>mkgroup is outputting?
>>

>Nope.  It can't.  ntsec needs the passwd file which mkpasswd
>produces.  It's a chicken-egg problem.
>
>Corinna

i thought so ... is there a way to make mkpasswd generate correct group
id output?

or else, i've thought of writing a small program that gracefully
combines current cygwin setting (/etc/passwd, /etc/group) and NT setting
(mkpasswd, mkgroup). everytime i change a user on NT requires me to
first generate mkpasswd over existing /etc/passwd, potentially losing
info on user shell selection, and lose the past manual corrections on
group id. the small program will take care of automatically correcting
group id in mkpasswd output and importing shell selection from previous
/etc/passwd. do you think there is necessity in doing this?

liulk

* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-17 10:05         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-17 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-17  9:49       ` Li-Kai Liu
From: Li-Kai Liu @ 2001-09-17  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2001-09-17  9:40     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-17  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-17  9:30   ` Li-Kai Liu
From: Li-Kai Liu @ 2001-09-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 07:00:38AM -0700, Serge Pluess wrote:
>
>>Hi there
>>
>>yep, The machine is part of that domain, I am logging in as a member of the domain and this is the only domain we have.
>>
>>Both commands end up with the same results:
>>
>>mkpasswd -d
>>mkpasswd -d mydomain
>>
>>One thing I have noticed is that there are 12 entries for the local accounts for the machine. It seems that the mkpasswd -d is starting getting the right users, but stops after reaching the count of the local entries.
>>

>Sounds pretty unlikely since getting local vs. global accounts are
>different functions in mkpasswd.  I have performed three checks with
>domains with 13, 141 and 632 users and mkpasswd worked as expected.
>
>You will have to debug that problem since you seem to be the only
>person with that problem so far.
>
>Corinna

i also noticed that (with local accounts), mkpasswd outputs the users
with wrong group id. all user's group is set to 513, which when shown
from mkpasswd -g (or mkgroup), is a None group. fortunately i just had
to manually edit all 4 users and that's all i need to do. isn't this
observation interesting?

however, i'm not going to plunge into this right now. i have icecast to
work on at this moment. ;-)

liulk

* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-17  9:12 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-17  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-17  7:03 Serge Pluess
From: Serge Pluess @ 2001-09-17  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there

yep, The machine is part of that domain, I am logging in as a member of the domain and this is the only domain we have.

Both commands end up with the same results:

mkpasswd -d
mkpasswd -d mydomain

One thing I have noticed is that there are 12 entries for the local accounts for the machine. It seems that the mkpasswd -d is starting getting the right users, but stops after reaching the count of the local entries.

Hope this helps

thank you

Serge

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 08:23:49AM -0700, Serge Pluess wrote:
> Hi and thank you for your response.
>
> I am logged in as a Domain user that has administrative rights. I run the install and at the end I can see a command prompt window pop up and it runs mkpasswd with the -l option so /etc/passwd then has all the local users listed.
>
> Then I bring up the cygwin bash shell and try to run mkpasswd with the -d option. It starts to run and lists the first 12 entries of the domain list and then just stops. As these first 12 entries are still in the A's I cannot get my account to be listed (which is under the S's.

Same result with `mkpasswd -d domainname'?  Are you sure you're
in the same domain?  Or does your company have multiple domains?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-15  1:57 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-15  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-14  8:26 Serge Pluess
From: Serge Pluess @ 2001-09-14  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:53:34AM -0700, Serge Pluess wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just downloaded the latest setup.exe and wiped off my old installation first. This is on Windows 2000 Server
>
> The setup and download finish and when i double click on the Cygwin Icon on my desktop I now get the following output:
>
> "...mkdir: cannot create directory `/home': Permission denied
> bash: cd: /home/spluess: No such file or directory
>
> spluess@COURTNET /usr/bin
> $ ..."
>
> With last weeks setup.exe this didn't happen.
>
> I ran the install while I am logged in through my NT4 domain account which has administrative rights and I think at the end of the setup.exe I see a shell popup that runs mkpasswd with the -l option. I look at /etc/passwd and there is an entry there for my local account I think:
>
> spluess:This_field_is_not_used_by_cygwin_on_nt/2000/xp:1006:513:Serge Pluess,S-1-5-21-484763869-764733703-682003330-1006:/home/spluess:/bin/bash
>
> So I am thinking, let me try to run mkpasswd -d but to my suprise it only lists the first 12 entries of the domain list (which is still in the a's) and for thus I cannot get the list to include my account information (which is in the s's). There are about 300 users in the domain.

Are you logged on using a local user account of that machine, say,
Administrator or so?  If you want to ask for the list of domain users
you have to be a user of the domain.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Latest Install - Domain account - File permisssions
@ 2001-09-13 12:39 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-13 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-13 12:22 Serge Pluess
From: Serge Pluess @ 2001-09-13 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

I was having problem accessing files that I set to read/write only by the owner and started to look through the faq and archives for a couple of hours over the last week and after this newest happening I think that this is all based upon the same issue that the passwd file is created through the local user accounts and if I can get it to be generated through mkpasswd -d I guess that it might solve all this.

CYGWIN is set to binmode ntsec tty

Thanks in advance for any help/information and apologize if I overlooked it in an obivous location

Serge