* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-21 15:29 belg4mit
From: belg4mit @ 2001-09-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>I know, I know, I've said this before!  And it's only my personal preference.
I've actually been using this, and is MUCH better.
It should be the default IMHO.
I came across it when searchign the archives for info
on changing the font in rxvt
--
H4sICNoBwDoAA3NpZwA9jbsNwDAIRHumuC4NklvXTOD0KSJEnwU8fHz4Q8M9i3sGzkS7BBrm
OkCTwsycb4S3DloZuMIYeXpLFqw5LaMhXC2ymhreVXNWMw9YGuAYdfmAbwomoPSyFJuFn2x8

* int64
@ 2001-09-25  8:38 ` Attila Csosz
From: Attila Csosz @ 2001-09-25  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

gcc/g++ under cygwin supports 64 bit integers? (long long int)

Thanks
 Attila

* Re: int64
@ 2001-09-25 13:09   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-09-25 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Csosz, cygwin

Yes.
> gcc/g++ under cygwin supports 64 bit integers? (long long int)
>
> Thanks
>  Attila
>

> --

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-21 15:24 ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2001-09-21 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: belg4mit; +Cc: cygwin

Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> What's the best way to do this?
> If you do rxvt -e tcsh (say from a shortcut).
> The user's dotfile is not parsed (seemingly because home etc. don't get
> correctly set from passwd), plus tab completion and history don't work.
>
> I've got:
> 	bash --login -i -c "/bin/rxvt -e tcsh" &
>
> But it seems like there really ought to be a way to avoid the seemingly
> unnecessary invocation of bash and having it hanging around afterwards...
>
> Of course:
> 	rxvt -e bash --login -i #from the rxvt documentation
> doesn't work properly when invoking from outside of the cygwin environment
> either; i.e. not from an exiisting bash --login -i session.
>
> PS> I'm not on the list yet so pleace (b)cc me any replies, Thanks!

I know, I know, I've said this before!  And it's only my personal preference.

But I've had good results with [Windows Shortcut]runs: rxvt [displayparams] -e /usr/bin/login MyUserName.

This way the initial shell is selected from /etc/passwd, and all the
user-associations are happy.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
nice guy.

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 12:56     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-13 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Jerrad Pierce

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 02:39:53PM -0500, Michael Hoffman wrote:
> I don't get the expected login shell behavior when using tcsh like
> this. I don't use tcsh, so I suspsect this is because I have no
> /etc/csh.cshrc or /etc/csh.profile to tell tcsh how to set the home
> environment variable.

Just for your all information.  It's not sufficient to set $HOME
in a /etc/csh.* file.  Even worse, these files are actually only
executed when tcsh has found the $HOME directory.  $HOME must
really be set before tcsh has been started.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 12:55       ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2001-09-13 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: belg4mit

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 03:39 PM 9/13/2001, Michael Hoffman wrote:
> >Obviously I have missed the penultimate message in this thread. I
> >suppose it was private to Larry.
>
> I believe this whole thread went to the list, but I didn't pay too
> much attention to that! ;-)

No, it did. It was my mistake. However, your response arrived before
the original message since you received it privately, so I didn't get
it before I replied.
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 12:49     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman, cygwin; +Cc: belg4mit

At 03:39 PM 9/13/2001, Michael Hoffman wrote:
>Obviously I have missed the penultimate message in this thread. I
>suppose it was private to Larry.

I believe this whole thread went to the list, but I didn't pay too
much attention to that! ;-)

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> > >rxvt window pops up then exits
> >
> > OK, must be a local installation difference.  Like I said, it
> > works fine here for me.  The only time that I got something similar
> > to what you describe was when I mistakenly put double quotes around
> > the "tcsh -l" in rxvt invocation I suggested.  Obviously that was an
> > error which made rxvt exit immediately...
>
>I have had similar problems in the past with bash and can reproduce
>this one with tcsh. Use an absolute pathname to the login shell to get
>it to work.
>
>Try rxvt -e /usr/bin/tcsh -l
>
>It also doesn't work for me without an absolute path, even if the
>shortcut sets the directory to C:\cygwin\bin. It _does_ work if I use
>./tcsh (or ./bash) instead of just tcsh. If it works for you, you
>probably have . in your PATH. The documentation in
>/usr/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-2.7.2-README suggests using an absolute path,
>probably to avoid issues like this.
>
>I don't get the expected login shell behavior when using tcsh like
>this. I don't use tcsh, so I suspsect this is because I have no
>/etc/csh.cshrc or /etc/csh.profile to tell tcsh how to set the home
>environment variable. I'll let people who actually use tcsh deal with
>this one. :-)

Good point Michael!  It's always important to make sure that you're
path is set up as you intend to use it.

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 12:40   ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2001-09-13 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: belg4mit

@ 2001-09-13 12:32   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-13 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

At 03:28 PM 9/13/2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 02:49:53PM -0400, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> > >What's the matter with "rxvt -e tcsh -l" ?
> > As I mentioned in the original post;
> > no parsing of .cshrc, no history, no substitution.
>
>tcsh needs $HOME set _before_ it starts. Either start tcsh using
>a batch file or set $HOME in your Windows env.

Ah.  That's the difference in my environment.  I always have HOME
set to something reasonable.

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 12:28 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-13 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-13 12:02 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-13 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: belg4mit; +Cc: cygwin

At 02:49 PM 9/13/2001, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> >What's the matter with "rxvt -e tcsh -l" ?
>As I mentioned in the original post;
>no parsing of .cshrc, no history, no substitution.

Did you try the -l flag I put in my response?  You didn't
mention it in your original message, which is why I suggested
it.  You won't get the parsing of the ~/.cshrc without it.

* Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 11:49 Jerrad Pierce
From: Jerrad Pierce @ 2001-09-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-09-13 11:35 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-13 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: belg4mit, cygwin

At 02:22 PM 9/13/2001, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
>What's the best way to do this?
>If you do rxvt -e tcsh (say from a shortcut).
>The user's dotfile is not parsed (seemingly because home etc. don't get
>correctly set from passwd), plus tab completion and history don't work.
>
>I've got:
>         bash --login -i -c "/bin/rxvt -e tcsh" &
>
>But it seems like there really ought to be a way to avoid the seemingly
>unnecessary invocation of bash and having it hanging around afterwards...

What's the matter with "rxvt -e tcsh -l" ?

>Of course:
>         rxvt -e bash --login -i #from the rxvt documentation
>doesn't work properly when invoking from outside of the cygwin environment
>either; i.e. not from an exiisting bash --login -i session.

How so?  Works fine for me.

* Running tcsh in rxvt
@ 2001-09-13 11:22 Jerrad Pierce
From: Jerrad Pierce @ 2001-09-13 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)