* Using gdb
@ 2001-11-08  3:54 Ignasi Villagrasa
From: Ignasi Villagrasa @ 2001-11-08  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a problem using gdb. Following information appears in screen:

D:\mc\viao>gdb -nw s:\client\mcc_cyg\cmpr\debug\cmprnt
GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-3)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) break mc_cmp
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4026f8: file /comun/src/mc_cmp.cpp, line 689.
(gdb) r
Starting program: s:\client\mcc_cyg\cmpr\debug\cmprnt.exe
/cygnus/netrel/src/gdb-20010428-3/gdb/coffread.c:472:
gdb-internal-error: sect_i
ndex_text not initialized

mc_cmp is the first line the program should execute after main. I insert
a breakpoint in order to avoid any program related error. I get then the
error and the program stops and doesn't arrive at the breakpoint.
Obviously, if I try to run without breakpoint the error occurs as well.

If I run the program directly without gdb it works properly.

This program links a mcodbcnt.dll that is not a gcc compiled dll. It's a
Watcom C++ compiled one. But it works fine without gdb.

Where am I going wrong ?

Or is there any problem ?

Thanks in advance. Ignasi Villagrasa.

* Re: Using gdb
@ 2001-11-08 21:03 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-08 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:53:37AM +0000, Ignasi Villagrasa wrote:
>I have a problem using gdb. Following information appears in screen:
>

>D:\mc\viao>gdb -nw s:\client\mcc_cyg\cmpr\debug\cmprnt
>GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-3)
>Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
>welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
>conditions.
>Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
>This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
>(gdb) break mc_cmp
>Breakpoint 1 at 0x4026f8: file /comun/src/mc_cmp.cpp, line 689.
>(gdb) r
>Starting program: s:\client\mcc_cyg\cmpr\debug\cmprnt.exe
>/cygnus/netrel/src/gdb-20010428-3/gdb/coffread.c:472:
>gdb-internal-error: sect_i
>ndex_text not initialized

This internal error has been reported on another mailing list.

Unfortunately there is no fix for it currently.  Sorry.

cgf

* Re: Using gdb
@ 2001-11-09  9:33 Ignasi Villagrasa
From: Ignasi Villagrasa @ 2001-11-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

I followed Pierre advice.

I created a directory at the same /src level and compilation worked fine.

Then I applied the patch and all worked properly.

I have not the error anymore.

I think this patch should be applied as soon as possible in gdb releases.

Thanks for helping me. Ignasi Villagrasa.

* Re: Using gdb
@ 2001-11-09  8:19     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-09  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 05:15:48PM +0100, Pierre Muller wrote:
>At 17:06 09/11/2001 , Christopher Faylor a ?crit:
>>On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:44:34AM +0000, Ignasi Villagrasa wrote:
>>>Christopher Faylor sent a message telling me there's no fix to my
>>>problem using gdb.
>>>
>>>But at the same time Pierre Muller sent me an e-mail with a patch he has
>>>tested that can be applied to gdb source before recompiling gdb.
>>
>>I've never seen this patch so I can't comment on it.
>
>See
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-11/msg00086.html
>
>I had to add some other form of .text equivalent
>to get really all DLLs to be loaded correctly.

Ah.  You sent a patch to gdb rather than gdb-patches.

That's why I couldn't find it.

cgf

* Re: Using gdb
@ 2001-11-09  8:15   ` Pierre Muller
From: Pierre Muller @ 2001-11-09  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

At 17:06 09/11/2001 , Christopher Faylor a écrit:
>On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:44:34AM +0000, Ignasi Villagrasa wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor sent a message telling me there's no fix to my
> >problem using gdb.
> >
> >But at the same time Pierre Muller sent me an e-mail with a patch he has
> >tested that can be applied to gdb source before recompiling gdb.
>
>I've never seen this patch so I can't comment on it.

See
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-11/msg00086.html

I had to add some other form of .text equivalent
to get really all DLLs to be loaded correctly.

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99

* Re: Using gdb
@ 2001-11-09  8:06 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-09  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:44:34AM +0000, Ignasi Villagrasa wrote:
>Christopher Faylor sent a message telling me there's no fix to my
>problem using gdb.
>
>But at the same time Pierre Muller sent me an e-mail with a patch he has
>tested that can be applied to gdb source before recompiling gdb.

I've never seen this patch so I can't comment on it.

>I downloaded gdb sources from CVS Cygnus server, and I'm trying to
>compile them.
>
>I have two problems. One related to bfd.h location. I have solved it.
>But following compilation, I get an error :
>
>dbxread.c: In function `dbx_symfile_init':
>dbxread.c:721: warning: implicit declaration of function `bfd_bread'
>make: *** [dbxread.o] Error 1
>
>I'm looking for bfd_bread function or predeclaration, but I don't find it.
>
>What to do ?
>
>Perhaps isn't this the mailing list to post this message ?

Correct.

>If so, where should I post it?

gdb@sources.redhat.com.

cgf

* Re: Using gdb
@ 2001-11-09  3:45 Ignasi Villagrasa
From: Ignasi Villagrasa @ 2001-11-09  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor sent a message telling me there's no fix to my
problem using gdb.

But at the same time Pierre Muller sent me an e-mail with a patch he has
tested that can be applied to gdb source before recompiling gdb.

I downloaded gdb sources from CVS Cygnus server, and I'm trying to
compile them.

I have two problems. One related to bfd.h location. I have solved it.
But following compilation, I get an error :

dbxread.c: In function `dbx_symfile_init':
dbxread.c:721: warning: implicit declaration of function `bfd_bread'
make: *** [dbxread.o] Error 1

I'm looking for bfd_bread function or predeclaration, but I don't find it.

What to do ?

Perhaps isn't this the mailing list to post this message ?

If so, where should I post it?

Thanks in advance. Ignasi Villagrasa.

* using gdb
@ 2000-02-17 18:43 Kris Thielemans
From: Kris Thielemans @ 2000-02-17 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi,

Whenever I'm using gdb to debug my C++ programmes (compiled with -g and
without any optimisations), I have a lot of trouble stopping the programme.
More precisely, I step into functions or over functions, and suddenly the
execution goes right to the end of the programme. Even putting breakpoints
at places which I know are executed does not help most of the time. Even
using 'nexti' has this problem. (Only 'stepi' does work as intended, but
that's not very convenient, is it?)

Anyone else seen this ? Suggestions ?

Thanks,

Kris Thielemans

PS:
I have cygwin b20.1, with Mumit's gcc 2.95.2, NT 4.0 sp5

* using gdb
@ 1998-02-09  2:28 Kevin Hughes
From: Kevin Hughes @ 1998-02-09  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnuwin95 (E-mail)

I am trying to debug using gdb a rather large program compiled using the egcs1.0 compiler supplied by
Mumit Khan.

The problem I have is trying to plant a stop in the failing(?) routine. I have tried b function_name but get
back

	cannot access memory at .......

I have tried to use the windows i/f but get the following problems

	gdb: unknown target exception 0xc000001d at 0x005100dc

Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.

I have also tried the non windows i/f and get similar fails.
I have tried stepping into the fail but get

[tcsetpgrp failed in terminal_inferior: error 0]

This does not necessarily stop the session BUT I appear to fail on the step - it just runs on.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

PS this code works perfectly on a solaris system

-