* RE: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-01 16:48   ` charlie
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: charlie @ 2001-11-01 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase, Matt Minnis; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

Did you realize that there is a "free" windows version? It has the same
license restrictions as the "free" X11 version. Currently they've only
released 2.3.0, while the X11 version is at 3.0. Anyway, if you're
interested, it can be found at
<http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html>.

VR, Charlie

From: Tony Karakashian @ 2001-11-01 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

I was wondering if someone had a copy of the cygwin patch for the above
software?  I tried a couple binary versions I found floating around, but
they all refuse to work.

Thanks,
-T

* AW: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-01 21:36     ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-01 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hi,
>
> Did you realize that there is a "free" windows version? It has the same
> license restrictions as the "free" X11 version. Currently they've only
> released 2.3.0, while the X11 version is at 3.0. Anyway, if you're
> interested, it can be found at
> <http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html>.

But this lib does not allow compiling with g++ and linking with ld.
You need msvc++ to compile qt applications with it.

> VR, Charlie

* RE: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-01 21:40     ` Matt Minnis
From: Matt Minnis @ 2001-11-01 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The problem is:
The Qt Non Commercial Edition for Microsoft Windows is a binary only
distribution requiring Microsoft Visual Studio version 6.

If one doesn't have or want to use MSVC 6, this doesn't help...

Matt Minnis

At 03:30 PM 11/12/2001, charlie wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Did you realize that there is a "free" windows version? It has the same
>license restrictions as the "free" X11 version. Currently they've only
>released 2.3.0, while the X11 version is at 3.0. Anyway, if you're
>interested, it can be found at
><http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html>.
>
>VR, Charlie

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475                      mminnis@prefres.com
St. Louis, MO
63141

* Re: Xvnc
@ 2001-11-01 22:54       ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-11-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What is it exactly that you want to do here?  The native Windows VNC server
works great, and the native Windows VNC client works great also.  With a bit
more info, maybe someone can help.

BTW, you can get the Windows versions of VNC here:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:06:04 -0500, Tony Karakashian wrote:

>I was wondering if someone had a copy of the cygwin patch for the above
>software?  I tried a couple binary versions I found floating around, but
>they all refuse to work.
>
>Thanks,
>-T
>

>--

* QT Tools
@ 2001-11-09  7:09 Matt Minnis
From: Matt Minnis @ 2001-11-09  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is anyone using QT with Cygwin with the X11 or windows free downloads?

I would like to try it, but I don't want to have to shell out $1500 for the
windows version.  :(

Thanks,

Matt Minnis

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475                      mminnis@prefres.com
St. Louis, MO
63141

* Re: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-09 10:55 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-09 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Minnis; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-10  3:12   ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-10  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

> Hallo Matt,
>
> 2001-11-09 19:33:43, du schriebst:
>
> > Is anyone using QT with Cygwin with the X11 or windows free downloads?
>
> I'm building it today;)

Which version you are building ? I'm asking because the released version of qt
(2.3)
contains currently no network support. This depends on the missing resolver lib
in
cygwin. On my workstation I have build a qt version with the resolver lib
"bindlib_w32",
but I'm not able to check if this lib works well in all cases.

Is there anyone who can help with this ?

2. Because the auto import feature is now provided by the official binutils,
it is possible to release an final update, which I thinked about to do in
the near future. But this depends on the above topic :-(

Regards

Ralf

> > I would like to try it, but I don't want to have to shell out $1500 for the
> > windows version.  :(
>
> The kde-cygwin project ported QT, you get it here:
>
> http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Gerrit
> --
> convey Information Systems GmbH                   http://www.convey.de/
>                                                   Vitalisstraße 326-328
> Gerrit P. Haase                                   D-50933 Köln
> gerrit.haase@convey.de                            Fon: ++49 221 6903922
>

> --

* Re: AW: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-10  8:39     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-10  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Habacker; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo Ralf,

Am 2001-11-10 um 12:17 schriebst du:

>>>Is anyone using QT with Cygwin with the X11 or windows free downloads?
>>
>>I'm building it today;)

> Which version you are building ? I'm asking because the released version of qt
> (2.3) contains currently no network support. This depends on the missing resolver lib
> in cygwin. On my workstation I have build a qt version with the resolver lib
> "bindlib_w32", but I'm not able to check if this lib works well in all cases.

I fetched 2.3.2 and want also try 3.0, but at first get up 2.3.2 running.
I used your patch (there is one little typo, but it builds great.
I also configured with thread support.

> Is there anyone who can help with this ?

Hmmm, don't know bindlib_w32, what is the problem?

> 2. Because the auto import feature is now provided by the official binutils,
> it is possible to release an final update, which I thinked about to do in
> the near future. But this depends on the above topic :-(

I will report.

>> http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=

* AW: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-10 13:00       ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-10 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

> Hallo Ralf,
>
> Am 2001-11-10 um 12:17 schriebst du:

> >>I'm building it today;)
>
> > Which version you are building ? I'm asking because the released
> version of qt
> > (2.3) contains currently no network support. This depends on the
> missing resolver lib
> > in cygwin. On my workstation I have build a qt version with the resolver lib
> > "bindlib_w32", but I'm not able to check if this lib works well in
> all cases.
>
> I fetched 2.3.2 and want also try 3.0, but at first get up 2.3.2 running.
> I used your patch (there is one little typo, but it builds great.
> I also configured with thread support.

Threat support works ? If had trouble compiling this

Would this speed up for example kde apps ?

> and want also try 3.0

I have downloaded qt 3.0 beta 6 some weeks ago and recognized that there are
serious
problems with the xfree libs if configuring with xft. I have tried to compile
the xft
lib, but this lib depends on some other libs and on one point compiling xlib was
broken.
After some workarounds I have gotten the related xlib compiled, but on starting
a qt
example I got an access violation error while the run time loader tries to load
some
xlibs. :-( (This are the errors, that I don't like) So I have stopped this for a
while.
Currently I have reconfigured qt 3.0 without xft so see, if there are some other
problems.

If I have any resilt I will report about this.

> > Is there anyone who can help with this ?
>
> Hmmm, don't know bindlib_w32, what is the problem?

bindlib_w32 seems to be the same lib as libresolv and is used for php4, but
ported to more platforms
including native win32 and contains some more functions like writev.c.

See http://www.php-center.de/en-html-manual/install-windows.html
"Get the source code for the DNS name resolver used by PHP at
http://www.php.net/extra/bindlib_w32.zip . This is a replacement for the
resolv.lib library included in win32build.zip."

Unfortunally both libs does not contain any test app, so I can't say if the libs
are full working or not.
So currently I can only say "it-seems-to-be-okay" but this depends on the qt
examples,
how far they use this lib. (I have configured bindlib_w32 as for a linux
system.)

Regards
Ralf

> > 2. Because the auto import feature is now provided by the official binutils,
> > it is possible to release an final update, which I thinked about to do in
> > the near future. But this depends on the above topic :-(
>
> I will report.
>
> >> http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Ciao,
>
> Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
> --
> =^..^=

* Re: AW: QT Tools
@ 2001-11-10 13:34         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-10 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Ralf,

Am 2001-11-10 um 22:05 schriebst du:

>> I fetched 2.3.2 and want also try 3.0, but at first get up 2.3.2 running.
>> I used your patch (there is one little typo, but it builds great.
>> I also configured with thread support.

> Threat support works ? If had trouble compiling this

Well, I don't know how to verify, it compiles ok.

> Would this speed up for example kde apps ?

Depends on the application, if it uses threads...

>> and want also try 3.0

> I have downloaded qt 3.0 beta 6 some weeks ago and recognized that there are
> serious problems with the xfree libs if configuring with xft. I have tried to
> compile the xft lib, but this lib depends on some other libs and on one point
> compiling xlib was broken.
> After some workarounds I have gotten the related xlib compiled, but on starting
> a qt example I got an access violation error while the run time loader tries to
> load some xlibs. :-(
> (This are the errors, that I don't like) So I have stopped this for a while.
> Currently I have reconfigured qt 3.0 without xft so see, if there are some other
> problems.

> If I have any resilt I will report about this.

>> > Is there anyone who can help with this ?
>>
>> Hmmm, don't know bindlib_w32, what is the problem?
>>

> bindlib_w32 seems to be the same lib as libresolv and is used for php4, but
> ported to more platforms including native win32 and contains some more
> functions like writev.c.

Are these additional functions needed? I found bindlib_w32 at the php site,
but they didn't include a Makefile...

> Unfortunally both libs does not contain any test app, so I can't say if the libs
> are full working or not.
> So currently I can only say "it-seems-to-be-okay" but this depends on the qt
> examples,  how far they use this lib. (I have configured bindlib_w32 as for a
> linux  system.)

I'll try with an old libresolv now.

@ 2001-11-11  8:26       ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hi,
>
> Did you realize that there is a "free" windows version? It has the same
> license restrictions as the "free" X11 version. Currently they've only
> released 2.3.0, while the X11 version is at 3.0. Anyway, if you're
> interested, it can be found at
> <http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html>.

But this lib does not allow compiling with g++ and linking with ld.
You need msvc++ to compile qt applications with it.

> VR, Charlie

* RE: QT Tools
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` charlie

From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

> The problem is:
> The Qt Non Commercial Edition for Microsoft Windows is a binary only
> distribution requiring Microsoft Visual Studio version 6.
>
> If one doesn't have or want to use MSVC 6, this doesn't help...

Would it be a good thing, if g++ could link msvc++ libs ?

Additional informations about this topic could be found unter

A note to this: name demangling is solved (see
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg00311.html)
On my workstation I have already running patched objdump and nm woith msvc name
demangling

Regards
Ralf

> Matt Minnis
>
> At 03:30 PM 11/12/2001, charlie wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Did you realize that there is a "free" windows version? It has the same
> >license restrictions as the "free" X11 version. Currently they've only
> >released 2.3.0, while the X11 version is at 3.0. Anyway, if you're
> >interested, it can be found at
> ><http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html>.
> >
> >VR, Charlie

* Xvnc