* Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
@ 2001-11-01  3:34 ` Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-01  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

OK, I'm upgraded now.  Thank!

ftp works, but only if I disable ZoneAlarm firewall.
ZoneAlarm does ask whether to grant access to ftp.exe,
but nothing happens thereafter.  Is cooperation with firewalls
something which requires extra stuff on the part of cygwin, or
would it be a problem with ZoneAlarm?

Fred

Fred Ma
Department of Electronics
Carleton University, Mackenzie Building
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada     K1S 5B6
fma@doe.carleton.ca

Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect

     To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
     Subject: Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
     From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:14:54 +0100

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 09:43:04PM -0500, Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma wrote:
> RE: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg00571.html
>
> Hi, Corinna,
>
> It looks like I have inetutils 1.3.2 and cygwin 1.3.3 .
>
> The top of /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README says:
>
>      This package is the actual port of inetutils-1.3.2 to Cygwin 1.3.2.
>
>      The base of that release is the port of Sergey Okhapkin.
>
>      Some additional patches are done to allow smooth working with
>      the current cygwin release and especially Windows NT service manager
>      and NT security.
>
>      Version 1.3.2-14: Revert most of the Cygwin specific patches of the initial
> [...]
> Couldn't find info on how to get the "dash" part of the version number (looked in FAQ,

That's the Cygwin subversion.  You can see it when using setup.exe.
You should update to the latest versions using setup.exe.  You are
not using the latest stuff.  As I said (and as has been announced
on this list and cygwin-announce), the latest versions are
cygwin-1.3.4-4 and inetutils-1.3.2-15.  Both contain important
bug fixes which could resolve your problem.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
@ 2001-11-01  4:33   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-01  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 01:40:16PM -0500, Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma wrote:
> OK, I'm upgraded now.  Thank!
>
> ftp works, but only if I disable ZoneAlarm firewall.
> ZoneAlarm does ask whether to grant access to ftp.exe,
> but nothing happens thereafter.  Is cooperation with firewalls
> something which requires extra stuff on the part of cygwin, or
> would it be a problem with ZoneAlarm?

Probably with ZoneAlarm due to the way ftp works.  After
authentication type `passive' to enter passive mode and
try if that works.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
@ 2001-11-01  5:51 ` Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma
From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-01  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Actually, it never gets to the point of authentication, it just
times out after never connecting.  After it times out, I tried

    passive on
    open The.Desired.Host

It still times out.

Anyway, it's not critical, I can open up a DOS window to do that.

Thanks for looking at it.

     To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
     From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:44:34 +0100

@ 2001-11-02  6:34   ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2001-11-02  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma; +Cc: cygwin

Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma wrote:

> OK, I'm upgraded now.  Thank!
>
> ftp works, but only if I disable ZoneAlarm firewall.
> ZoneAlarm does ask whether to grant access to ftp.exe,
> but nothing happens thereafter.  Is cooperation with firewalls
> something which requires extra stuff on the part of cygwin, or
> would it be a problem with ZoneAlarm?
>

> Fred

FIWI, I also have ZoneAlarm, I never disable it to run anything Cygwin,
and I do not have this problem.  I assume you DID answer "Yes" to allow
the connection and CHECK the "Remember this decision" box, yes?

Also, make sure the FTP you're picking up is the Cygwin FTP not the
FTP.EXE in %WinDir%.  Other than that, I do it all the time.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
nice guy.

* Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
@ 2001-11-02  7:44     ` Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma
From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-02  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Cobb; +Cc: cygwin

Hi, David,

Yes, I did grant permission, and asked ZA to remember it.
And I tried the DOS ftp, it works fine.  A "type" showed that
I was picking up the cygwin ftp.  I'll upgrade ZA to see.  Just
haven't had time....been a steep learning curve trying to learn
stuff to install iverilog,....cygin, mingw, gtkwave, iverilog, bash,
makefiles, different make installations, VNC &tightVNC in case
it all doesn't come together and I have to access the big machines
for verilogXL...I have to take a haitus from it all to do stuff that
I'm here for, because theflames are raging in that department.

Thanks.

"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma wrote:
>
> > OK, I'm upgraded now.  Thank!
> >
> > ftp works, but only if I disable ZoneAlarm firewall.
> > ZoneAlarm does ask whether to grant access to ftp.exe,
> > but nothing happens thereafter.  Is cooperation with firewalls
> > something which requires extra stuff on the part of cygwin, or
> > would it be a problem with ZoneAlarm?
> >

> > Fred
>
> FIWI, I also have ZoneAlarm, I never disable it to run anything Cygwin,
> and I do not have this problem.  I assume you DID answer "Yes" to allow
> the connection and CHECK the "Remember this decision" box, yes?
>
> Also, make sure the FTP you're picking up is the Cygwin FTP not the
> FTP.EXE in %WinDir%.  Other than that, I do it all the time.
>
> --
> David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
> nice guy.
> New PGP key 09/13/2001:
> :<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
> fingerprint=on>
> :<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
> fingerprint=on>
> Fingerprint=0x{E7C6_4EE2_6B75_5BA3_C52E__77FA_63C3_9366_DCFB_229B}
> "By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
> --The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
> Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
> to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!

* Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
@ 2001-11-10 18:43 Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

RE: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg00571.html

Hi, Corinna,

It looks like I have inetutils 1.3.2 and cygwin 1.3.3 .

The top of /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README says:

     This package is the actual port of inetutils-1.3.2 to Cygwin 1.3.2.

     The base of that release is the port of Sergey Okhapkin.

     Some additional patches are done to allow smooth working with
     the current cygwin release and especially Windows NT service manager
     and NT security.

     Version 1.3.2-14: Revert most of the Cygwin specific patches of the initial
                       port of rshd. Change the waiting select to check child
                       state repeatedly to avoid hanging after child's death.

     Version 1.3.2-13: Keep current environment when starting a child process
                       from rshd, except for settings for "USER", "PATH" and
                       "SHELL".

A "uname -a" gives:

     CYGWIN_ME-4.90 FMACOOP-1 1.3.3(0.46/3/2) 2001-09-12 23:54 i686 unknown

Couldn't find info on how to get the "dash" part of the version number (looked in FAQ,
cygwin manual's TOC, and mailing list search), but I downloaded the most recent version
as of just under a month ago and installed the whole thing is one shot.  Please let me
know if more information is needed, and thanks for looking into this.

     To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
     From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:32:54 +0100

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 12:57:27AM -0500, Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed cygwin 2.78.2.9 on my WinME machine,

That's the version number of the setup tool, not the version
number of Cygwin or inetutils.  The latest setup is version
2.78.2.15, Cygwin is 1.3.4-4, inetutils is 1.3.2-15.  Which
are you using?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: cygwin 2.78.2.9: ftp doesn't connect
@ 2001-11-11  2:15 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-11  8:26       ` Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma
From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Cobb; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma; +Cc: cygwin

     From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:14:54 +0100

     From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:44:34 +0100

@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Joshua
From: Joshua @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    I have cygwin version 1.3.4 with ftp version 1.3.2 and ZoneAlarm version
2.6.357.  FTP works fine for me.  BCNU//jle

To: cygwin at cygwin dot com

     From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:44:34 +0100

From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hmm.  OK, I shall upgrade my zonealarm and try again.  I have the free
version 2.6.231 .  Strange that ftp from DOS is not affected though.  I'll
check it out.  Thanks....

     To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     From: "Joshua" <jle at post dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:36:31 -0600

@ 2001-11-10  2:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-10  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-09 21:57 Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma
From: Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma @ 2001-11-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've installed cygwin 2.78.2.9 on my WinME machine,
Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop.  It works great, still going
through the pains of getting CAD tools installed.

In the process, I tried to ftp some test files from the
solaris network that I'm attached to.  ftp program
works, but never connects; the connection times out.
This is cygwin's ftp (/usr/bin/ftp), as opposed to the
windows ftp (which connects fine).  Windows ping
can ping the remote host (there is no cygwin ping).

The cygwin FAQ question index and the manual
Table of Conents do not show anything on ftp, and
a search of the cygwin mailing list turns up no threads
with "ftp" in the subject, at least on the 1st page (internal
server error prevent viewing 2nd page or beyond).
A quick perusal of the postings on the 1st page didn't
show anything that apparently relates to this ftp
error.

If anyone can suggest what can be done to track
down the cause, or even to let me know not to bother,
I'd be grateful.  Thanks.

@ 2001-11-01 14:21 Shing-Fat (Fred) Ma

     From: "Joshua" <jle at post dot com>
     Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:36:31 -0600