* ssh as SOCKS server
@ 2001-11-02  6:34 GregHolmes
From: GregHolmes @ 2001-11-02  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying out the new Dynamic port forwarding
feature of ssh, testing on the local machine.
My tired brain must be missing something.

I initiate the connection:

 ssh -vvv -D8000 localhost

enter my passphrase, and successfully begin a session.

Now I use a browser configured to use a SOCKS4
proxy at port 8000.  I try to load a URL and get
some repetitive blocks of debug messages, ending
with:

debug3: channel_close_fds: channel 2: r 8 w 8 e -1
debug1: Connection to port 8000 forwarding to socks4 port 0 requested.
debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug2: fd 8 is O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 2: new [dynamic-tcpip]
debug2: channel 2: pre_dynamic: have 0
debug2: channel 2: pre_dynamic: have 496
debug1: channel 2: zombie
debug1: channel 2: garbage collecting
debug1: channel_free: channel 2: dynamic-tcpip, nchannels 3
debug3: channel_free: status: The following connections are open:
  #1 client-session (t4 r0 i1/0 o16/0 fd 5/6)

debug3: channel_close_fds: channel 2: r 8 w 8 e -1
----
The page, needless to say, does not load.

It must be something obvious; what could I be missing?
Something to do with doing it on localhost?

Thanks,

Greg H.

* Re: ssh as SOCKS server
@ 2001-11-02  9:50 ` Shun-ichi GOTO
From: Shun-ichi GOTO @ 2001-11-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GregHolmes; +Cc: cygwin

> I'm trying out the new Dynamic port forwarding
> feature of ssh, testing on the local machine.
> My tired brain must be missing something.
>
> I initiate the connection:
>
>  ssh -vvv -D8000 localhost
>
> enter my passphrase, and successfully begin a session.
>
> Now I use a browser configured to use a SOCKS4
> proxy at port 8000.  I try to load a URL and get
> some repetitive blocks of debug messages, ending
> with:

I tried same setting and get same message.
So I change proxy setting of browser (I'm using IE6) as
setting SOCKS4 as localhost / 8000 and other entries
as ALL EMPTY. Then I succeeded.

Is this help you?

Of course, you should be able to resolve hostname on localhost.
Dynamic forwarding support only SOCKS protocol version 4 (not 4a).

--- Regards,
 Shun-ichi Goto  <gotoh@taiyo.co.jp>
   R&D Group, TAIYO Corp., Tokyo, JAPAN

* ssh as SOCKS server
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` GregHolmes

  #1 client-session (t4 r0 i1/0 o16/0 fd 5/6)

@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Shun-ichi GOTO
From: Shun-ichi GOTO @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GregHolmes; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-11  8:26 GregHolmes
From: GregHolmes @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gotoh; +Cc: cygwin

Shun-ichi GOTO <gotoh@taiyo.co.jp> wrote:

>I tried same setting and get same message.
>So I change proxy setting of browser (I'm using IE6) as
>setting SOCKS4 as localhost / 8000 and other entries
>as ALL EMPTY. Then I succeeded.

>Is this help you?

Yes!  That was it.  I had left other entries filled
in (slaps forehead).

Now if I could just figure out why sshd today refuses
remote connections, with no change to sshd_config ...
aren't computers fun ;)?

Thanks,

-Greg