* Re: rxvt is broken? mutt ssh inetd mt problems
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 10:38:16PM -0500, Steven E. Bailey wrote:
> Did the latest release (downloaded today) break rxvt?  I try running it now
> and a window pops up and dies immediately.  The rxvt executable wasn't changed.

Dunno about that.

> Also running inetd pops a window for the inetd process.  I was running
> inetd through a shell using run and that put it in the background.  I never
> have been able to use cygrunsrv - I'm on a Win98 platform, I'm assuming
> that's why.

Right.

> Mutt has never worked for me either, giving a missing cygwin5.dll

You didn't follow the installation instructions for ncurses.  Reinstall
libncurses5, libncurses6 and terminfo but not ncurses6.

> Also, has anyone ever gotten ssh to work on Win98?

Yes, no problem.  Even sshd is working.

> Also, I'm trying to run mt with a remote tape drive on linux using the syntax:
> mt -f <hostname>:/dev/st0 and I get a no such file or directory error.  Is
> this not working, not working for Win98, or am I doing it wrong?

Not working for 9x/Me.  Raw block devices and tapes are supported
on NT/2K/XP only.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* rxvt is broken? mutt ssh inetd mt problems
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Steven E. Bailey
From: Steven E. Bailey @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Did the latest release (downloaded today) break rxvt?  I try running it now
and a window pops up and dies immediately.  The rxvt executable wasn't changed.

Also running inetd pops a window for the inetd process.  I was running
inetd through a shell using run and that put it in the background.  I never
have been able to use cygrunsrv - I'm on a Win98 platform, I'm assuming
that's why.

Mutt has never worked for me either, giving a missing cygwin5.dll
error.  I've actually created a mail program using something called
MailListBot through a shell, but if there is a cygwin way to mail I'd like
to use that...

Also, has anyone ever gotten ssh to work on Win98?

Also, I'm trying to run mt with a remote tape drive on linux using the syntax:
mt -f <hostname>:/dev/st0 and I get a no such file or directory error.  Is
this not working, not working for Win98, or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: rxvt is broken? mutt ssh inetd mt problems
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 tom
From: tom @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 17 November 2001, "Steven E. Bailey" wrote:

> Did the latest release (downloaded today) break rxvt?  I try running it now
> and a window pops up and dies immediately.  The rxvt executable wasn't changed.

I don't know if you run rxvt the same way I do but I had a problem
recently (after some upgrade within last couple of weeks) that sounds
similar. To get past the same problem you describe I had to change
the shortcut I use to start rxvt from this:

c:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e c:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i

to this:

c:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

I am not showing a bunch of other args I use with rxvt but am
only showing what I had to change to get it working again.
I don't know exactly why but when starting from shortcut this
is the only way rxvt is now is able to start bash (which is fine
but before it also worked the other way).
Maybe this fixes your problem too.
Best of luck,
Tomislav Goles

From: Steven E. Bailey @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks.  The rxvt problem was the shortcut used the -e option with a
windows path and, well, I'll have to do the reinstalls and take another
look at why ssh (and sshd) isn't working for me and do the reinstalls as
you suggested to try mutt.  I do really appreciate all the effort that has
gone into cygwin and use it every day both at work and at home.

Re: rxvt is broken? mutt ssh inetd mt problems

     * From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
     * To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
     * Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:23:36 +0100
     * Subject: Re: rxvt is broken? mutt ssh inetd mt problems

From: Steven E. Bailey @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  Yes, this was it, thanks.  I changed the full windows path to just bash
and it works fine.  Hadn't thought of looking at the shortcut, doh.

   * From: tom at ait-tech dot com
     * To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
     * Date: 18 Nov 2001 09:43:15 -0500