* bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2001-11-14  7:28 ROUWEZ Stephane
From: ROUWEZ Stephane @ 2001-11-14  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I have reinstalled with "for all" and I have the same error.

From: ROUWEZ Stephane @ 2001-11-21  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

A : 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:53:05AM +0100, ROUWEZ Stephane wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed Cygwin on WinNT4 SP6. When I'm connected with user 'XY'
> > and I start Cygwin, It gives to me :
> >
> > bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
> > bash: /etc/profile: no medium
> > bash: /.bash_profile: no medium
> > bash-2.05$
> >
> > and I can't do anything. /tmp exist ! Can anybody help me ?

Setup gives you the choice to install "for me" or "for all" at one
point.  If you've choosen "for me" the Cygwin mount points aren't
visible for any other user.  Login as the user which installed
Cygwin and change all mount points to system mount points using
the `mount' command.  mount --help will give you a clue.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2006-12-13 17:11     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-12-13 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kenneth Nellis <knellis <at> syntek-usa.com> writes:

> I'm curious if Eric intends to reference /tmp directly, as opposed to
> recognizing environment variable TMPDIR, if defined?

Indeed, it appears that there may be an upstream bash bug - 'man bash' claims
that $TMPDIR is honored, but in reality, it is only honored in the fc builtin
(here-docs do not use it; and if cygwin did not support /proc/self/fd, the
fallback of named pipes does not use it either; there were no other instances
of tmp files created by bash).  Yes, I intend for that to be part of my fix.

If the use of TMPDIR by here-docs is not fixed, bash prefers P_tmpdir (which on
cygwin is defined as "/tmp"), then "/tmp", then "/var/tmp", then "/usr/tmp",
then "."; if it gets all the way through the list and has not found an
existing, writable directory, that is when it fails.  But since that failure
point is rather late in the game, I can see why the previous cygwin-specific
hack of checking for the existence of "/tmp" as part of bash initialization was
done.

Oh, and I just found a bash bug - if you make TMPDIR longer than PATH_MAX, the
heap gets corrupted.

--
Eric Blake

* RE: bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2006-12-13 15:18   ` Kenneth Nellis
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-12-13 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2006-12-12 20:48 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-12-12 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Gonçalves; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, João Gonçalves wrote:

> I am trying to start cygwin and I get this error message.
> I understand, from what I read, that this error is because I am using
> a different user. And that's true, I am using a different user, but I
> also lost the old user, because I installed windows again!
> Is to mount cygwin in my current user withou going to the old one? Or
> do I have to install cygwin again?

Please read and follow

Without that information, a WAG is that your initial Cygwin install was
for "Just me", and the new user is missing the standard mounts.  You can
either use the "mount" command to set up standard mounts, or just re-run
setup and tell it to install for "All users".  You don't need to reinstall
anything (though the above run of setup will upgrade your installation as
well unless you go into the "Keep" mode).
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin

* Re: bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2006-12-12 20:20 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2006-12-12 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

João Gonçalves wrote:
> I am trying to start cygwin and I get this error message.
> I understand, from what I read, that this error is because I am using
> a different user. And that's true, I am using a different user, but I
> also lost the old user, because I installed windows again!
> Is to mount cygwin in my current user withou going to the old one? Or
> do I have to install cygwin again?

You can mount '/tmp' to anywhere you like.  You don't need to reinstall.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2006-12-12 18:22 João Gonçalves
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: João Gonçalves @ 2006-12-12 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-22  6:00 ` ROUWEZ Stephane
From: ROUWEZ Stephane @ 2001-11-22  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Corinna Vinschen'

all the mount points are 'System' ans I've reinstalled with 'for all'
option.

mount gives:
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

Thanks
Stephane

Envoye : mercredi 21 novembre 2001 10:38
A : 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-22  3:56 ` ROUWEZ Stephane
From: ROUWEZ Stephane @ 2001-11-22  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hi,

ok, with the first line, /tmp no problem, rights are set with 'regedit'
because 'mount' makes no change. Is it the only change to do ?
But "bash: /etc/profile: no medium", what does it means?

Stephane

Envoye : mercredi 21 novembre 2001 10:38
A : 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-21  2:22       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-21  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 03:31:38PM +0530, vipin aravind wrote:
> nice  info,  I was  wondering  what it  was  for.
> vipin

The difference is just where the mount points are stored.
In HKEY_CURRENT_USER (for me) or in HKEY_LOCAL_SYSTEM (for all).

@ 2001-11-21  1:56     ` vipin aravind
From: vipin aravind @ 2001-11-21  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2001-11-15  0:49 ROUWEZ Stephane

A : 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-14 22:01 ROUWEZ Stephane

A : 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-14  6:18     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-14  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-14  5:23   ` vipin aravind
From: vipin aravind @ 2001-11-14  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

nice  info,  I was  wondering  what it  was  for.
vipin
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:53:05AM +0100, ROUWEZ Stephane wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have installed Cygwin on WinNT4 SP6. When I'm connected with user
'XY'
> > > and I start Cygwin, It gives to me :
> > >
> > > bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
> > > bash: /etc/profile: no medium
> > > bash: /.bash_profile: no medium
> > > bash-2.05$
> > >
> > > and I can't do anything. /tmp exist ! Can anybody help me ?
>
> Setup gives you the choice to install "for me" or "for all" at one
> point.  If you've choosen "for me" the Cygwin mount points aren't
> visible for any other user.  Login as the user which installed
> Cygwin and change all mount points to system mount points using
> the `mount' command.  mount --help will give you a clue.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> Red Hat, Inc.
>
> --

[-- Attachment #2: Wipro_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 854 bytes --]

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@wipro.com and delete this mail
from your records.

* Re: bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
@ 2001-11-14  2:38 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-14  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-13 22:57 ROUWEZ Stephane