* Fwd: Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14  3:43 Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-14  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Christopher,

Am 2001-11-21 um 04:15 schriebst du:

>>I have successful compiled ?LaMaraDNS! ( http://www.maradns.org/ )
>>?LaMaraDNS! is an alpha-quality authoritative and recursive (caching)
>>DNS server.

> Cool.  Does this provide us with libresolv.a, too?

Nope, I don't think so.

But there are alternative client libraries, aka 'stub resolver' like
'ares':
ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/ares/ which includes two
executables, 'adig' and 'ahost' as examples how to write interfaces and
'adns':
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/ which includes three
executables 'adnslogres', 'adnsresfilter', 'adnshost' .

Both are building OOTB and provide a similar interface as libresolv.

I have a version of 'ares' up at my site:
http://timtowtdi.topcities.com/cygwin/ares/

I have also a modified standalone libresolv version taken from ZMailer
which was taken from bind-4.9.4-REL/res/ but this needs some sanitizing.

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=

* Re: Fwd: Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14  5:07 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-14  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What about the BDS libresolv ?

"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:

> Hallo Christopher,
>
> Am 2001-11-21 um 04:15 schriebst du:
>
> >>I have successful compiled ?LaMaraDNS! ( http://www.maradns.org/ )
> >>?LaMaraDNS! is an alpha-quality authoritative and recursive (caching)
> >>DNS server.
>
> > Cool.  Does this provide us with libresolv.a, too?
>
> Nope, I don't think so.
>
> But there are alternative client libraries, aka 'stub resolver' like
> 'ares':
> ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/ares/ which includes two
> executables, 'adig' and 'ahost' as examples how to write interfaces and
> 'adns':
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/ which includes three
> executables 'adnslogres', 'adnsresfilter', 'adnshost' .
>
> Both are building OOTB and provide a similar interface as libresolv.
>
> I have a version of 'ares' up at my site:
> http://timtowtdi.topcities.com/cygwin/ares/
>
> I have also a modified standalone libresolv version taken from ZMailer
> which was taken from bind-4.9.4-REL/res/ but this needs some sanitizing.

* Re: Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14  7:38 ` Max Bowsher
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Max Bowsher @ 2001-11-14  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why not BIND? It builds a whisker away from OOTB.

Max.

@ 2001-11-14  9:22   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-14  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher

Hallo Max,

2001-11-21 14:35:15, du schriebst:

> Why not BIND? It builds a whisker away from OOTB.

Not for me the last time I tried to build bind.
Which version are you talking about?

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                   http://www.convey.de/
                                                  Vitalisstraße 326-328

* Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14 11:13     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2001-11-14 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I built 8.2.4

The only problems were that one of the files on the cygwin port directory of
bind was masking one of the real include files. I think it was in.h. Also,
it doesn't work if you try to build outside the source tree.

But someone send some patches for 8.2.5 and 8.3.0 to this list a while ago.

Max.

@ 2001-11-14 11:59   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-14 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Pavel,

2001-11-21 15:30:01, du schriebst:

> What about the BDS libresolv ?

Never heard about, where can I get it?

Gerrit
--

@ 2001-11-14 12:13       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-14 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Max,

2001-11-21 15:39:34, du schriebst:

> I built 8.2.4

> The only problems were that one of the files on the cygwin port directory of
> bind was masking one of the real include files. I think it was in.h. Also,
> it doesn't work if you try to build outside the source tree.

> But someone send some patches for 8.2.5 and 8.3.0 to this list a while ago.

Obviously, Biggs wasn't interested to contribute it.

Gerrit
--

@ 2001-11-14 12:13     ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-14 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin

"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:

> Hallo Pavel,
>
> 2001-11-21 15:30:01, du schriebst:
>
> > What about the BDS libresolv ?
>
> Never heard about, where can I get it?

:) It's part of the *BSD libc implementation.
I resides in src/lib/libc/net in FreeBSD and
in basesrc/lib/libc/net in NetBSD. The functions
just have to be ripped out. I've never tried
though...

* Re: Fwd: Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14 12:30       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-14 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Pavel,

2001-11-21 16:23:34, du schriebst:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
>>
>> Hallo Pavel,
>>
>> 2001-11-21 15:30:01, du schriebst:
>>
>> > What about the BDS libresolv ?
>>
>> Never heard about, where can I get it?
>>

> :) It's part of the *BSD libc implementation.
> I resides in src/lib/libc/net in FreeBSD and
> in basesrc/lib/libc/net in NetBSD. The functions
> just have to be ripped out. I've never tried
> though...

Ah so, that is isc bind I think.

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                   http://www.convey.de/
                                                  Vitalisstraße 326-328
Gerrit P. Haase                                   D-50933 Köln
gerrit.haase@convey.de                            Fon: ++49 221 6903922

* Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14 13:19   ` Stipe Tolj
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-11-14 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

> Why not BIND? It builds a whisker away from OOTB.

I have to disagree. The latest version does _not_ build OOTB.

Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de

* Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-14 13:39     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2001-11-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Fair enough. I havn't tried since 8.2.4

@ 2001-11-14 14:16     ` Bill Karh
From: Bill Karh @ 2001-11-14 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 0) got bind-src-8.5.2 from ftp.isc.org

 1) modified src/port/cygwin/Makefile.set to change paths and such.

 2) replaced contents of src/port/cygwin/include/sys/un.h with contents of
    /usr/include/sys/un.h

 * builds clean

Openwave Systems, Inc.| William Karh         | Bill.Karh@Openwave.COM
225 N.E. 108th Ave.   | Systems Architect    | Phone: (425) 638-8084
Bellevue, WA  98004   | Advanced Solutions   | Fax: (425) 638-8040

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
electronic mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It
may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not an
intended recipient, you must not copy, forward, distribute or take any
action in reliance on it. If you have received this electronic mail
message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

* Re: Fwd: Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin
@ 2001-11-21  1:51   ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-21  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-21  4:18   ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2001-11-21  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-21  5:43     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-21  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher

@ 2001-11-21  6:07       ` Max Bowsher

@ 2001-11-21  6:37     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-21  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-21  6:47         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-21  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-21  6:48       ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-21  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-21  7:31         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-21  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Pavel,

2001-11-21 16:23:34, du schriebst:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
>>
>> Hallo Pavel,
>>
>> 2001-11-21 15:30:01, du schriebst:
>>
>> > What about the BDS libresolv ?
>>
>> Never heard about, where can I get it?
>>

> :) It's part of the *BSD libc implementation.
> I resides in src/lib/libc/net in FreeBSD and
> in basesrc/lib/libc/net in NetBSD. The functions
> just have to be ripped out. I've never tried
> though...

Ah so, that is isc bind I think.

Gerrit
--