* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-13 12:13 Joshua
From: Joshua @ 2001-11-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    I think I'm being a bit dense on this issue for which I apologize.  What
option needs to be set to have the Cygwin-packaged vim autodetect
binary/text files and edit/save accordingly?  My .vimrc is a binary file,
BTW.  Thanks and BCNU//jle

From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:29:20 +0100
Subject: Re: Unix/DOS text mode?

----

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:10:48AM -0600, Joshua wrote:
>     Corinna,
>
>     Thanks for the enlightenment.  Regarding your statement, 'These files
> must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless of the bin/textmode of the
> underlying mount point.', what files are you referring to?  I would
> understand if the Cygwin files, ie config files in /etc need to be binary,
> but are you saying that Cygwin needs to deal with all files (like
> /cygwin/c/autoexec.bat) in a binary mode?  Or could the vim packaged with
> Cygwin be set to autodetect the binary/text type?  My understanding of how
> vim/gvim worked was that it would detect the binary/text type and preserve
> the type when you edit save the file.  BCNU//jle

It does recognize bin/text, just not for script files as .vimrc.
These must be binmode (LF, not CRLF lineending).

Corinna

> From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
> To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:28:25 +0100
> Subject: Re: Unix/DOS text mode?

> ----
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:20:59AM -0600, Joshua wrote:
> >     Hmm, I've noticed this difference between the PC version of vim/gvim
> > versus the vim that comes with cygwin.  Using the PC version, vim/gvim
> seems
> > to be able to tell whether you're opening a unix file or a PC file and
> > display/edit appropriately.
> >
> >     I tried copying my _vimrc from my PC installation to .vimrc in my
home
> > directory, but that doesn't do the trick.  I figured it was either a
> switch
> > in vimrc or something to do with the mounts themselves.  BCNU//jle
>
> The Cygwin vim has the same ability to recognize Unix/DOS files
> as the Windows native version.  After a discussion with Bram Moolenaar
> he decided not to add that recognition to the vim script files
> as .vimrc.  These files must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless
> of the bin/textmode of the underlying mount point.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> Red Hat, Inc.
>
> --
>

> --

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-14  1:10 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-14  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:54:47PM -0600, Joshua wrote:
>     I think I'm being a bit dense on this issue for which I apologize.  What
> option needs to be set to have the Cygwin-packaged vim autodetect
> binary/text files and edit/save accordingly?  My .vimrc is a binary file,
> BTW.  Thanks and BCNU//jle

Nothing.  It should work automagically.  Which it does on my system.
I've just tested it explicitely since your postings made me nervous.

However, the unix/dos file recognition works based on examining only
the first line, AFAIK, so if the first line has only a LF instead of
an CRLF for some reason, vim treats the file as unixy.  Then you see
the ^M beginning with line 2.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-14  4:35   ` Bjoern Kahl AG Resy
From: Bjoern Kahl AG Resy @ 2001-11-14  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

 Hallo !

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:54:47PM -0600, Joshua wrote:
> >     I think I'm being a bit dense on this issue for which I apologize.  What
> > option needs to be set to have the Cygwin-packaged vim autodetect
> > binary/text files and edit/save accordingly?  My .vimrc is a binary file,

> Nothing.  It should work automagically.  Which it does on my system.
> I've just tested it explicitely since your postings made me nervous.

 Hmm. At least for the version I installed last friday (using
 "install now" (aka setup) on the cygwin site) did *not* work.
 I have had to copy "/usr/share/vimv/im60/vimrc_example" as
 ".vimrc" to my $HOME and add the line "set fileformats=unix,dos"
 under the line "set nocompatible".

> However, the unix/dos file recognition works based on examining only
> the first line, AFAIK, so if the first line has only a LF instead of
> an CRLF for some reason, vim treats the file as unixy.  Then you see
> the ^M beginning with line 2.

 My english is somewhat limited, but as I understand the "options.txt"
 in vim doc-folder, vim reads the whole file dicides on how many <CR>,
 <CR><NL> and >NL> it found. (However, that chapter in the docs is not
 really clear to me).

 Bjoern

| Dipl.-Phys. Bjoern Kahl +++ AG Embedded Systems and Robotics (RESY) |
| Informatics Faculty +++ Building 48 +++ University of Kaiserslautern|
| phone: +49-631-205-2654 +++ www: http://resy.informatik.uni-kl.de   |

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-14  5:50     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-14  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:43:29AM +0100, Bjoern Kahl AG Resy wrote:

>  Hallo !
>
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:54:47PM -0600, Joshua wrote:
> > >     I think I'm being a bit dense on this issue for which I apologize.  What
> > > option needs to be set to have the Cygwin-packaged vim autodetect
> > > binary/text files and edit/save accordingly?  My .vimrc is a binary file,
>
> > Nothing.  It should work automagically.  Which it does on my system.
> > I've just tested it explicitely since your postings made me nervous.
>
>  Hmm. At least for the version I installed last friday (using
>  "install now" (aka setup) on the cygwin site) did *not* work.
>  I have had to copy "/usr/share/vimv/im60/vimrc_example" as
>  ".vimrc" to my $HOME and add the line "set fileformats=unix,dos"
>  under the line "set nocompatible".

Interesting.  I have no such option set explicitely.  When opening
vi and then call `:set fileformats', the output is

  fileformats=unix,dos

And this is the default setting on Unix systems.  Cygwin is treated as
a Unix system by vim.

> > However, the unix/dos file recognition works based on examining only
> > the first line, AFAIK, so if the first line has only a LF instead of
> > an CRLF for some reason, vim treats the file as unixy.  Then you see
> > the ^M beginning with line 2.
>
>  My english is somewhat limited, but as I understand the "options.txt"
>  in vim doc-folder, vim reads the whole file dicides on how many <CR>,
>  <CR><NL> and >NL> it found. (However, that chapter in the docs is not
>  really clear to me).

You're right.  It examines the whole file but the notes are clear:

- If _all_ lines end in CRLF, it's treated as dos file.
- If _one_ line is found with only a LF, unix is preferred over dos.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* SSH & Editing in a Basic Shell, etc
@ 2001-11-14  9:27       ` Peter M Boyd
From: Peter M Boyd @ 2001-11-14  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am having difficulty trying to use CYGWIN SSH to
connect from Windows NT Client to Windows NT Server
and run only a SHELL environment and NOT a Windows GUI
environment. Any shell will do if it can support my
further requirements, which are to be able:

(1)	to page or browse through text files

(2) to use an edit program to edit text files (and
support the CTRL& functions that the editor
may need)

(3)	to interrupt a long running function

(4)	to run programs that can be run from DOS CMD.EXE

I have the latest (as of 15 Nov 2001) CYQWIN & CYGWIN
SSH installed.

I have been advised to use the ‘bash’ shell and would
be happy to use something else if known to satisfy the
above.

Connection is working fine; (4) is working fine

I canÂ’t get anything to work for (1) to (3).

Can you suggest what can be used to achieve these.

I have already had quite a lot of advice that is
either imprecise or that the advisors havenÂ’t tried
for themselves.

I’ve recently tried ‘vim’ for (1) and (2), but ‘vim’
just “hangs” when invoked.

‘vim’ works fine in a local shell shell environment

My current SSH environments is:

----------------------

BASH=/bin/bash
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="05" [2]="0" [3]="8"
[4]="release" [5]="i686-pc-cygwin")
BASH_VERSION=$'2.05.0(8)-release'
COLUMNS=80
COMPUTERNAME=NOADP_NT
COMSPEC=$'C:\\WINNT\\system32\\cmd.exe'
CYGWIN=$'binmode ntsec tty'
DIRSTACK=()
EUID=513
GROUPS=()
HISTFILE=/cygdrive/d/temp/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
HOME=/cygdrive/d/temp
HOMEDRIVE=d:
HOMEPATH=$'\\temp'
HOSTNAME=NOADP_NT
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS=$' \t\n'
INCLUDE=$'C:\\Program Files\\Mts\\Include'
LIB=$'C:\\Program Files\\Mts\\Lib'
LINES=60
LOGNAME=ratest
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-cygwin
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/ratest
MAILCHECK=60
MAKE_MODE=unix
NTRESKIT=$'C:\\Program Files\\rksupport'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OLDPWD=/cygdrive/d/temp
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OS=Windows_NT
OS2LIBPATH=$'C:\\WINNT\\system32\\os2\\dll;'
OSTYPE=cygwin
PATH=$'/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/Win32App/PVCS/DIMENS~1/5.0/PROG:/cygdrive/c/Win32App/PVCS/DIMENS~1/ORANT/BIN:/cygdrive/c/orawinnt/BIN:.:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/WBEM:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Mts:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/rksupport:/bin'
PATHEXT=$'.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=306
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=$'x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping
2, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0502
PS1=$'\\[\\033]0;\\w\\007\n\\033[32m\\]\\u@\\h
\\[\\033[33m\\w\\033[0m\\]\n$ '
PS2=$'> '
PS4=$'+ '
PWD=/cygdrive/d/temp
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:hashall:histexpand:monitor:history:interactive-comments:emacs
SHLVL=1
SSH_CLIENT=$'127.0.0.1 2934 22'
SSH_TTY=/dev/tty1
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT=$'C:\\WINNT'
TERM=cygwin
TZ=GMTST0GMTDT-1,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3
UID=513
USER=ratest
USERPROFILE=$'C:\\WINNT\\Profiles\\ratest'
WINDIR=$'C:\\WINNT'
_=pwd
i=$'/etc/profile.d/*.sh'

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-21  1:43     ` Bjoern Kahl AG Resy
From: Bjoern Kahl AG Resy @ 2001-11-21  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2001-11-21  2:17       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-21  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-21  5:44         ` Peter M Boyd
From: Peter M Boyd @ 2001-11-21  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-29 11:20 ` AGalick
From: AGalick @ 2001-11-29 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

Thanks, this worked, but I never needed a .vimrc before and
my .viminfo history/recall is only loaded if I explicitly type :rv.
I (and my boss) were fed up with me squirrelling
with it, so I shelled out $79 for a cygwin 1.0 CD at
ccpcomputersupplies.com.  They're the only place
I could find with a stable release for sale.  Either
I'm paying for being a sorry excuse of a 'puter geek,
or I'm getting a good deal to avoid being a guinea pig.

Albert

                    "Larry Hall
                    (RFK                 To:     AGalick@attotech.com, cygwin@cygwin.com
                    Partners,            cc:
                    Inc)"                Subject:     Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
                    <lhall@rfk.co
                    m>

                    11/19/01
                    04:34 PM

At 04:00 PM 11/19/2001, AGalick@attotech.com wrote:
>After an upgrade, I seem to have lost all sanity in vi(m).
>I used to see .txt files the same with notepad or vi, but
>now in vi every line ends with a blue ^M.  I've played
>with mount -[t|b] and tried [un and re]installing vim but I'm
>stumped.  The thing is, it seems to have also disabled all
>the nice search string history/recall (I guess because .viminfo
>also shows those damned ^M's).  What have I done
>or what has cygwin done?  I guess other stuff got upgraded,
>too, but I don't know what.

Try setting "fileformat=dos" in your .vimrc file if you always want
your files to be treated as a DOS text file.  See the help in vim for
more info.

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-22 14:52         ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

At 23:43 22-11-2001, you wrote:
>I'm all with it but please drop the usage of __CYGWIN32__.  It's
>depricated.  I will send a patch to vim-dev which drops all other
>__CYGWIN32__ in favour of __CYGWIN later.

Okay.  I saw three different Cygwin checks in the header files, so I
decided to go with the safest one.

Here's a new patch.

  - Michael

-------------------------8<-------------------------
--- ORIG/option.h       Thu Nov 22 23:10:21 2001
+++ option.h    Thu Nov 22 23:49:07 2001
@@ -67,7 +67,11 @@
  # else
  #  define DFLT_FF      "unix"
  #  define DFLT_FFS_VIM "unix,dos"
-#  define DFLT_FFS_VI  ""
+#  ifdef __CYGWIN__
+#   define DFLT_FFS_VI "unix,dos"      /* Cygwin always needs file
detection */
+#  else
+#   define DFLT_FFS_VI ""
+#  endif
  #  define DFLT_TEXTAUTO        FALSE
  # endif
  #endif
------------------------->8-------------------------
ff_patch

     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning
     of life.  It was not what I expected.                  - Dogbert

[-- Attachment #2: ff_patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 386 bytes --]

@ 2001-11-22 14:45       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-22 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-22 14:33       ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 23:30 22-11-2001, Michael Schaap wrote:
>I'll also attach it, since I'm using Eudora (with format=flowed), which
>may screw up indentation.

Uh oh...

Here it is. :-)
ff_patch

     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning
     of life.  It was not what I expected.                  - Dogbert

[-- Attachment #2: ff_patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 417 bytes --]

--- ORIG/option.h	Thu Nov 22 23:10:21 2001
+++ option.h	Thu Nov 22 23:19:03 2001
@@ -67,7 +67,11 @@
 # else
 #  define DFLT_FF	"unix"
 #  define DFLT_FFS_VIM	"unix,dos"
-#  define DFLT_FFS_VI	""
+#  if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__CYGWIN32__)

@ 2001-11-22 14:30     ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-22 14:05   ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The default value of "fileformats" depends on whether the "compatible"
option is set.
If it is, then fileformats="", so file format autodetection is disabled.
If it isn't, then fileformats="unix,dos".
(This is for the UNIX version (including Cygwin).  The Windoze native
version uses "dos,unix" in both cases.)

If a .vimrc exists, even if it is empty, "nocompatible" will be set,
otherwise "compatible" will be set.

So, a default installation of vim on Cygwin will not enable file format
detection.

(Source: ":help compatible".)

HTH,

  - Michael

@ 2001-11-22 11:07 ` Joshua

From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
To: cygwin <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:16:43 +0100

@ 2001-11-20  6:05 AGalick
From: AGalick @ 2001-11-20  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-15  3:53       ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-15  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2001-11-15  3:50     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-15  3:47     ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-15  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 23:30 22-11-2001, Michael Schaap wrote:
>I'll also attach it, since I'm using Eudora (with format=flowed), which
>may screw up indentation.

Uh oh...

Here it is. :-)

[-- Attachment #2: ff_patch --]

--- ORIG/option.h	Thu Nov 22 23:10:21 2001
+++ option.h	Thu Nov 22 23:19:03 2001
@@ -67,7 +67,11 @@
 # else
 #  define DFLT_FF	"unix"
 #  define DFLT_FFS_VIM	"unix,dos"
-#  define DFLT_FFS_VI	""
+#  if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__CYGWIN32__)
+#   define DFLT_FFS_VI	"unix,dos"	/* Cygwin always needs file detection */
+#  else
+#   define DFLT_FFS_VI	""
+#  endif
 #  define DFLT_TEXTAUTO	FALSE
 # endif
 #endif

     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning
     of life.  It was not what I expected.                  - Dogbert

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-15  3:46   ` Michael Schaap
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-15  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-15  3:19 ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-11-15  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-15  2:55 Joshua

From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
To: cygwin <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:16:43 +0100

@ 2001-11-13  6:59 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-13  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:10:48AM -0600, Joshua wrote:
>     Corinna,
>
>     Thanks for the enlightenment.  Regarding your statement, 'These files
> must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless of the bin/textmode of the
> underlying mount point.', what files are you referring to?  I would
> understand if the Cygwin files, ie config files in /etc need to be binary,
> but are you saying that Cygwin needs to deal with all files (like
> /cygwin/c/autoexec.bat) in a binary mode?  Or could the vim packaged with
> Cygwin be set to autodetect the binary/text type?  My understanding of how
> vim/gvim worked was that it would detect the binary/text type and preserve
> the type when you edit save the file.  BCNU//jle

It does recognize bin/text, just not for script files as .vimrc.
These must be binmode (LF, not CRLF lineending).

Corinna

> From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
> To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:28:25 +0100
> Subject: Re: Unix/DOS text mode?

> ----
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:20:59AM -0600, Joshua wrote:
> >     Hmm, I've noticed this difference between the PC version of vim/gvim
> > versus the vim that comes with cygwin.  Using the PC version, vim/gvim
> seems
> > to be able to tell whether you're opening a unix file or a PC file and
> > display/edit appropriately.
> >
> >     I tried copying my _vimrc from my PC installation to .vimrc in my home
> > directory, but that doesn't do the trick.  I figured it was either a
> switch
> > in vimrc or something to do with the mounts themselves.  BCNU//jle
>
> The Cygwin vim has the same ability to recognize Unix/DOS files
> as the Windows native version.  After a discussion with Bram Moolenaar
> he decided not to add that recognition to the vim script files
> as .vimrc.  These files must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless
> of the bin/textmode of the underlying mount point.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> Red Hat, Inc.
>
> --
>

> --

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-13  6:40 ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-11-13  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua; +Cc: cygwin

 > After a discussion with Bram Moolenaar
 > he decided not to add that recognition to the vim script files
 > as .vimrc.  These files must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless
 > of the bin/textmode of the underlying mount point.

Looks to me like "these files must be in binary mode" are "the vim
script files, )such) as .vimrc."

HTH,
Peter

Joshua wrote:

>     Corinna,
>
>     Thanks for the enlightenment.  Regarding your statement, 'These files
> must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless of the bin/textmode of the
> underlying mount point.', what files are you referring to?  I would
> understand if the Cygwin files, ie config files in /etc need to be binary,
> but are you saying that Cygwin needs to deal with all files (like
> /cygwin/c/autoexec.bat) in a binary mode?  Or could the vim packaged with
> Cygwin be set to autodetect the binary/text type?  My understanding of how
> vim/gvim worked was that it would detect the binary/text type and preserve
> the type when you edit save the file.  BCNU//jle
>

> From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
> To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:28:25 +0100
> Subject: Re: Unix/DOS text mode?

> ----
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:20:59AM -0600, Joshua wrote:
>
>>    Hmm, I've noticed this difference between the PC version of vim/gvim
>>versus the vim that comes with cygwin.  Using the PC version, vim/gvim
>>
> seems
>
>>to be able to tell whether you're opening a unix file or a PC file and
>>display/edit appropriately.
>>
>>    I tried copying my _vimrc from my PC installation to .vimrc in my home
>>directory, but that doesn't do the trick.  I figured it was either a
>>
> switch
>
>>in vimrc or something to do with the mounts themselves.  BCNU//jle
>>

> The Cygwin vim has the same ability to recognize Unix/DOS files
> as the Windows native version.  After a discussion with Bram Moolenaar
> he decided not to add that recognition to the vim script files
> as .vimrc.  These files must be in binary mode on Cygwin regardless
> of the bin/textmode of the underlying mount point.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> Red Hat, Inc.
>
> --
>

> --

Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-13  6:34 Joshua

From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:28:25 +0100

----

@ 2001-11-13  4:38 ` vipin aravind
From: vipin aravind @ 2001-11-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua, cygwin

what is  the operating  system  you are on?
vipin
>     Hmm, I've noticed this difference between the PC version of vim/gvim
> versus the vim that comes with cygwin.  Using the PC version, vim/gvim
seems
> to be able to tell whether you're opening a unix file or a PC file and
> display/edit appropriately.
>
>     I tried copying my _vimrc from my PC installation to .vimrc in my home
> directory, but that doesn't do the trick.  I figured it was either a
switch
> in vimrc or something to do with the mounts themselves.  BCNU//jle
>
> From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall at rfk dot com>
> To: AGalick at attotech dot com, cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:34:25 -0500
> Subject: Re: Unix/DOS text mode?

> ----
>
> At 04:00 PM 11/19/2001, AGalick@attotech.com wrote:
> >After an upgrade, I seem to have lost all sanity in vi(m).
> >I used to see .txt files the same with notepad or vi, but
> >now in vi every line ends with a blue ^M.  I've played
> >with mount -[t|b] and tried [un and re]installing vim but I'm
> >stumped.  The thing is, it seems to have also disabled all
> >the nice search string history/recall (I guess because .viminfo
> >also shows those damned ^M's).  What have I done
> >or what has cygwin done?  I guess other stuff got upgraded,
> >too, but I don't know what.
>

> Try setting "fileformat=dos" in your .vimrc file if you always want
> your files to be treated as a DOS text file.  See the help in vim for
> more info.
>

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>

> --

[-- Attachment #2: InterScan_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 856 bytes --]

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@wipro.com and delete this mail
from your records.

* Re: Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-12 13:47 ` vipin aravind
From: vipin aravind @ 2001-11-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, AGalick

you need  set  fileformat=dos.
you  may  try removing  the ctrl-m's  like  this  too  for a session
:%s/^M//g    where  ^  is   produced  by typing  ctrl-v.
vipin

@ 2001-11-12 13:38 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-12 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-12 10:38 Joshua

From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall at rfk dot com>
To: AGalick at attotech dot com, cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:34:25 -0500

----

@ 2001-11-12  5:42 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-12  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AGalick, cygwin

At 04:00 PM 11/19/2001, AGalick@attotech.com wrote:
>After an upgrade, I seem to have lost all sanity in vi(m).
>I used to see .txt files the same with notepad or vi, but
>now in vi every line ends with a blue ^M.  I've played
>with mount -[t|b] and tried [un and re]installing vim but I'm
>stumped.  The thing is, it seems to have also disabled all
>the nice search string history/recall (I guess because .viminfo
>also shows those damned ^M's).  What have I done
>or what has cygwin done?  I guess other stuff got upgraded,
>too, but I don't know what.

Try setting "fileformat=dos" in your .vimrc file if you always want
your files to be treated as a DOS text file.  See the help in vim for
more info.

* Unix/DOS text mode?
@ 2001-11-12  3:14 AGalick