* compiling python extensions under Cygwin
@ 2001-11-15  9:22 cliff
From: cliff @ 2001-11-15  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi--

I'm trying to move some python extensions from Linux to Cygwin,
and I don't know how to compile them properly.  Searching the web
didn't yield much info, so any examples/howtos would be greatly
appreciated.

Specific questions:

1.  Cygwin python (2.1.1) doesn't seem to import ".so" files, so I
assume that I must compile to ".dll"  Could someone confirm this?
Are there alternatives?

2.  When I try to create a ".dll" using the information on the Cygwin
website, I get a linker warning saying that it could not find a
reference to mainCRTStartup (even though my extension does not
have any GUI).  Importing the resulting .dll leads to a segfault.
What gives?

Thanks for reading this far and for any pointers to resources on the
web or in print.

--Cliff

* RE: compiling python extensions under Cygwin
@ 2001-11-15  9:28 ` Norman Vine
From: Norman Vine @ 2001-11-15  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cliff, cygwin

cliff@ember.com writes:

>I'm trying to move some python extensions from Linux to Cygwin,
>and I don't know how to compile them properly.  Searching the web
>didn't yield much info, so any examples/howtos would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Specific questions:
>
>1.  Cygwin python (2.1.1) doesn't seem to import ".so" files, so I
>assume that I must compile to ".dll"  Could someone confirm this?
>Are there alternatives?

Well yes, this is windows !

>2.  When I try to create a ".dll" using the information on the Cygwin
>website, I get a linker warning saying that it could not find a
>reference to mainCRTStartup (even though my extension does not
>have any GUI).  Importing the resulting .dll leads to a segfault.
>What gives?

Hmm,

For starters I reccomend using python's Distutils and then building
extensions should just happen automagically in a cross-platform way.

If you really want to hand build extensions with Makefiles I suggest
downloading the Cygwin Python source distribution and studying
how it is done there.

specifically look at the following make defines

CCSHARED
LDSHARED
BLDSHARED

But learn to use the Distutils module,
it is MUCH simpler once you get the hang of it :-)

Questions about using Distutils should be asked on the Python List

Cheers

Norman

* compiling python extensions under Cygwin
@ 2001-11-23  8:29 ` cliff
From: cliff @ 2001-11-23  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-23  8:58   ` Norman Vine
From: Norman Vine @ 2001-11-23  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cliff, cygwin

cliff@ember.com writes:

>I'm trying to move some python extensions from Linux to Cygwin,
>and I don't know how to compile them properly.  Searching the web
>didn't yield much info, so any examples/howtos would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Specific questions:
>
>1.  Cygwin python (2.1.1) doesn't seem to import ".so" files, so I
>assume that I must compile to ".dll"  Could someone confirm this?
>Are there alternatives?

Well yes, this is windows !