* x libraries for building xemacs
@ 2001-11-17 14:12 Morris, Steve
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Morris, Steve @ 2001-11-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to build xemacs gamma (21.4.5)  for cygwin, X11. For the life of
me I can't find any documentation on cygwin.com, xemacs.org and the
respective mailing lists archives telling me what versions of X11 libraries
to build against and where to find them. Can someone help me here? I would
appreciate it. Is there a general document which specifies which configure
flags I need.

My eventual goal is to be able to use xemacs as my remote window manager
into my NT box. My next steps down that path will obviously be inetd and
telnetd. Are there any pointers on how to compile, configure and run inetd
under cygwin? How is authentication handled under NT. Does it tie into NT
login authentication or do I need to setup a parallel system within cygwin?

I'm willing to read TFM but I am confused about how to find TFM. Any meta
suggestions about how to find documentation for issues of this sort will be
greatfully accepted.

Thanks
Steve Morris

* Re: x libraries for building xemacs
@ 2001-11-18  2:23 ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2001-11-18  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: x libraries for building xemacs
@ 2001-11-18  2:45 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-18  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morris, Steve; +Cc: cygwin

"Morris, Steve" wrote:

> I'm trying to build xemacs gamma (21.4.5)  for cygwin, X11. For the life of
> me I can't find any documentation on cygwin.com, xemacs.org and the
> respective mailing lists archives telling me what versions of X11 libraries
> to build against and where to find them. Can someone help me here? I would
> appreciate it. Is there a general document which specifies which configure
> flags I need.

Most folks don't build the X-based cygwin XEmacs.  They use the
ms-windows-based cygwin XEmacs. (Yes, that's right: XEmacs, when built
on cygwin, can use either native mswindowing stuff, or X windowsing
stuff).

I think the X-based cygwin XEmacs may be suffering bitrot, BUT...

just go to xfree.cygwin.com for the X distribution that works with
cygwin.  Read the (cygwin-xfree) FAQ.  Read the (cygwin-xfree) download
and installation instructions.  etc.

--Chuck

* Re: x libraries for building xemacs
@ 2001-11-18  5:16   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-18  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:28:18PM -0500, Jochen K?pper wrote:
> Steve> My next steps down that path will obviously be inetd and
> Steve> telnetd.
>
> Use sshd. Comes with Cygwin.

Inetd and telnetd are also part of the Cygwin net distribution.

For docs, see also /usr/doc, especially /usr/doc/Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* x libraries for building xemacs
@ 2001-11-27 14:37 ` Morris, Steve