* Does Cygwin Bash Shell have "more" equivalent
@ 2001-11-17  0:53 Simpson Gilbert
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Simpson Gilbert @ 2001-11-17  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Does the Cygwin Bash Shell have the equivalent of the "more" command. The
book I'm using to try and learn about Linux uses this command a lot and
Cygwin reports that the command doesn't exist.

Perhaps there is a different, equivalent command.

Thanks.
Sim Gilbert

* Re: Does Cygwin Bash Shell have "more" equivalent
@ 2001-11-17  1:47 ` Stephano Mariani
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2001-11-17  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Simpson Gilbert

The command you are looking for is 'less'.
It is equivalent to more but less can also scroll backwards...

Stephano.

> Does the Cygwin Bash Shell have the equivalent of the "more" command. The
> book I'm using to try and learn about Linux uses this command a lot and
> Cygwin reports that the command doesn't exist.
>
> Perhaps there is a different, equivalent command.
>
> Thanks.
> Sim Gilbert
>

> --

* Re: Does Cygwin Bash Shell have "more" equivalent
@ 2001-11-17  6:03   ` Collin Grady
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Collin Grady @ 2001-11-17  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

     Is there anywhere to get the source for more?  I would like to add it
as less does not handle ansi colors at all, so ls --colors | less shows a
lot of ESC codes instead of colors, whereas more will show the colors.
     -Collin Grady

File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

> The command you are looking for is 'less'.
> It is equivalent to more but less can also scroll backwards...
>
> Stephano.

@ 2001-11-17  7:23     ` wayne
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: wayne @ 2001-11-17  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Collin Grady; +Cc: cygwin

If you have access to a FreeBSD system it is located in the following
/usr/src/contrib/less

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:44:19AM -0800, Collin Grady wrote:
>      Is there anywhere to get the source for more?  I would like to add it
> as less does not handle ansi colors at all, so ls --colors | less shows a
> lot of ESC codes instead of colors, whereas more will show the colors.
>      -Collin Grady
>
> File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb

* Re: Does Cygwin Bash Shell have "more" equivalent
@ 2001-11-17  7:25     ` Birl
From: Birl @ 2001-11-17  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Collin:    have no answer.

Stephano:  UNIX more can scroll backwards... at least on OSF1 4.0f Alpha
           server.

Sim:       alias the more command:   alias more less
           Then you can use more

 Scott Birl      Scott.Birl@temple.edu
 UNIX Consultant/Systems Administrator   Computer  Services   Temple University
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====+====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

@ 2001-11-17  7:26   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-17  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, cygwin, Simpson Gilbert

It's also worth noting that this is exactly the kind of question that can
be found in the FAQ.

Where can I find "more"?
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC51

The FAQ is a great source of information and best of all, it provides
instant gratification!  No waiting for that return email message with
the answer! :-)

@ 2001-11-17  8:39     ` Luke Bakken
From: Luke Bakken @ 2001-11-17  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Collin Grady; +Cc: cygwin

RTFM for less

$ ls --color | less -r

:-)

@ 2001-11-17  8:50 ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2001-11-17  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Simpson Gilbert

> Does the Cygwin Bash Shell have the equivalent of the "more" command. The
> book I'm using to try and learn about Linux uses this command a lot and
> Cygwin reports that the command doesn't exist.

Yes, it's name is (sarcastically) "less".
It's an external program though.

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)

* Re: Does Cygwin Bash Shell have "more" equivalent
@ 2001-11-17  9:20 ` tony.arnold
From: tony.arnold @ 2001-11-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Sim,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 09:57:32AM -0700, Simpson Gilbert wrote:
> Does the Cygwin Bash Shell have the equivalent of the "more" command. The
> book I'm using to try and learn about Linux uses this command a lot and
> Cygwin reports that the command doesn't exist.
>
> Perhaps there is a different, equivalent command.

'more' is not distributed with cygwin. Try the command 'less' which does a
similar thing but is actually more powerful.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Deputy to the Head of COS Division, Manchester Computing,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.

* Does Cygwin Bash Shell have "more" equivalent
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-11-27 11:33 ` Simpson Gilbert
From: Simpson Gilbert @ 2001-11-27 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin