* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-17  9:29 Mark Jones
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Jones @ 2001-11-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

First, thanks for the reply.

I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but I would suggest adding a
little more to the standard of minimum.  Users of any UNIX like system
expect more/less to be present.  I think it will turn people off, and Linux
users that install it will figure the install failed to work properly (like
my friend and I did) or will think Cygwin just doesn't have less or more
ported over to it and assume that Cygwin is not mature yet.

That is my thoughts on the matter.

As I side note, I would have something other than TWM be the default WM for
X, anything other than TWM, such as IceWM, FVWM, lesstif's MWM, etc.

Mark

* Re: WM
@ 2001-11-17  9:33 ` Collin Grady
From: Collin Grady @ 2001-11-17  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jones, Cygwin ML

     KDE and xfce work in Cygwin ;)  The second link is a guy trying to get
Gnome working in Cygwin.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-cygwin/
http://my.dreamwiz.com/jbdoll/
     -Collin Grady

Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat, though.

> >  > Concommitant with that, the default installation is now a bare
minimum
> >  > of packages -- if you want more, you have to explicitly select the
> >  > additional packages.
>
> First, thanks for the reply.
>
> I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but I would suggest adding a
> little more to the standard of minimum.  Users of any UNIX like system
> expect more/less to be present.  I think it will turn people off, and
Linux
> users that install it will figure the install failed to work properly
(like
> my friend and I did) or will think Cygwin just doesn't have less or more
> ported over to it and assume that Cygwin is not mature yet.
>
> That is my thoughts on the matter.
>
> As I side note, I would have something other than TWM be the default WM
for
> X, anything other than TWM, such as IceWM, FVWM, lesstif's MWM, etc.
>
> Mark

__
> Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite
Messenger
> http://messenger.excite.com
>

> --

* Re: WM
@ 2001-11-17  9:46   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-17  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:51:39PM -0800, Collin Grady wrote:
>     KDE and xfce work in Cygwin ;)  The second link is a guy trying to get
>Gnome working in Cygwin.
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-cygwin/
>http://my.dreamwiz.com/jbdoll/

Wrong mailing list.

cgf

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-17 10:51 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-17 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jones; +Cc: Stephano Mariani, cygwin

Mark Jones wrote:

> First, thanks for the reply.
>
> I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but I would suggest adding a
> little more to the standard of minimum.  Users of any UNIX like system
> expect more/less to be present.  I think it will turn people off, and Linux
> users that install it will figure the install failed to work properly (like
> my friend and I did) or will think Cygwin just doesn't have less or more
> ported over to it and assume that Cygwin is not mature yet.
>
> That is my thoughts on the matter.

That's probably not a bad idea.  Robert (Chris? Who maintains less?),
should 'less' be added to the Base package?

> As I side note, I would have something other than TWM be the default WM for
> X, anything other than TWM, such as IceWM, FVWM, lesstif's MWM, etc.

That is off-topic for this list.  All X related questions should go to
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

--Chuck

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-17 13:44   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-17 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 08:28, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Mark Jones wrote:
>

> > First, thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but I would suggest adding a
> > little more to the standard of minimum.  Users of any UNIX like system
> > expect more/less to be present.  I think it will turn people off, and Linux
> > users that install it will figure the install failed to work properly (like
> > my friend and I did) or will think Cygwin just doesn't have less or more
> > ported over to it and assume that Cygwin is not mature yet.
> >
> > That is my thoughts on the matter.
>

> That's probably not a bad idea.  Robert (Chris? Who maintains less?),
> should 'less' be added to the Base package?

I don't think so. Once someone creates a metapackage, or I get the
clickable categories done, then the sensible user default becaomes
possible. The issue is that base really needs to be the _base_, not the
'end user default' - because some users may want less installed. (No pun
intended).

Rob

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-17 15:52     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

>>That's probably not a bad idea.  Robert (Chris? Who maintains less?),
>>should 'less' be added to the Base package?
>>

> I don't think so. Once someone creates a metapackage, or I get the
> clickable categories done, then the sensible user default becaomes
> possible. The issue is that base really needs to be the _base_, not the
> 'end user default' - because some users may want less installed. (No pun
> intended).

Ah, yes of course.  You are correct.

--Chuck

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 12:43 ` Mark Jones
From: Mark Jones @ 2001-11-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-27 12:51   ` Collin Grady

> >  > Concommitant with that, the default installation is now a bare
minimum
> >  > of packages -- if you want more, you have to explicitly select the
> >  > additional packages.
>
> First, thanks for the reply.
>
> I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but I would suggest adding a
> little more to the standard of minimum.  Users of any UNIX like system
> expect more/less to be present.  I think it will turn people off, and
Linux
> users that install it will figure the install failed to work properly
(like
> my friend and I did) or will think Cygwin just doesn't have less or more
> ported over to it and assume that Cygwin is not mature yet.
>
> That is my thoughts on the matter.
>
> As I side note, I would have something other than TWM be the default WM
for
> X, anything other than TWM, such as IceWM, FVWM, lesstif's MWM, etc.
>
> Mark

__
> Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite
Messenger
> http://messenger.excite.com
>

> --

* Re: WM
@ 2001-11-27 12:57     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-27 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:51:39PM -0800, Collin Grady wrote:
>     KDE and xfce work in Cygwin ;)  The second link is a guy trying to get
>Gnome working in Cygwin.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-cygwin/
> http://my.dreamwiz.com/jbdoll/

Wrong mailing list.