* setup.exe selects old versions for required packages
@ 2001-11-16 13:17 Polley Christopher W
From: Polley Christopher W @ 2001-11-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I've just reinstalled cygwin today and was frustrated to find while
selecting packages to install from my local directory, when I changed a
package from skip to <version>, setup.exe selected the less-recent version
of all required packages (i.e., selecting automake requires autoconf, and
version 2.13-2 was brought up rather than the most recent 2.52-1)

I ended up tediously going through the list of packages to select the ones I
wanted, then going through the entire list a second time cycling through
each and every selected package to make sure I had the latest version
selected.

Could selecting the most recent version of required packages as the default
behavior (when required packages are not already installed) please be added
to the setup.exe wish list?

Has a version requirement (similar to RPM) been considered to alleviate the
installation problems seen with vim/gettext?

Warm Regards,
Chris

* Re: setup.exe selects old versions for required packages
@ 2001-11-18 14:36 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Polley Christopher W; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Most of this email has laready been addressed.

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 02:28, Polley Christopher W wrote:
> Has a version requirement (similar to RPM) been considered to alleviate the
> installation problems seen with vim/gettext?

Yes, but we took the one-step at a time approach. Please note that a
version requirement will NOT solve the vim/gettext confusion. That
confusion was caused because setup doesn't check for file conflicts, and
in not checking for them, cannot take appropriate action (in this case,
upgrading the old package first, which would fix the conflict and
prevent the .dll getting inappropriately deleted).

Rob

* Re: setup.exe selects old versions for required packages
@ 2001-11-18 15:27   ` Charles Wilson
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-18 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Polley Christopher W, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Robert Collins wrote:

> Yes, but we took the one-step at a time approach. Please note that a
> version requirement will NOT solve the vim/gettext confusion. That
> confusion was caused because setup doesn't check for file conflicts, and
> in not checking for them, cannot take appropriate action (in this case,
> upgrading the old package first, which would fix the conflict and
> prevent the .dll getting inappropriately deleted).

Maybe I am having a thinko, but I don't remember any file conflict in
the gettext package.  ncurses(old)-->ncurses(new)+libncurses* had an
"inappropriate .dll deletion" problem if you don't do things in the
right order -- but I don't remember anything like that with gettext.

Help?

--Chuck

* Re: setup.exe selects old versions for required packages
@ 2001-11-18 15:47     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Polley Christopher W, cygwin

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Polley Christopher W, cygwin

> > Yes, but we took the one-step at a time approach. Please note that a
> > version requirement will NOT solve the vim/gettext confusion. That
> > confusion was caused because setup doesn't check for file conflicts,
and
> > in not checking for them, cannot take appropriate action (in this
case,
> > upgrading the old package first, which would fix the conflict and
> > prevent the .dll getting inappropriately deleted).
>

> Maybe I am having a thinko, but I don't remember any file conflict in
> the gettext package.  ncurses(old)-->ncurses(new)+libncurses* had an
> "inappropriate .dll deletion" problem if you don't do things in the
> right order -- but I don't remember anything like that with gettext.
>
> Help?

Sorry, I need glasses I think. Yes Chuck, you're right, gettext was
completely different, I was confused and adding confusion :}. A minimum
version requirement for gettext in the vim requirements would solve the
cygintl.dll problem, done either the rpm or deb fashion.

Rob

* setup.exe selects old versions for required packages
@ 2001-11-27  7:28 ` Polley Christopher W
From: Polley Christopher W @ 2001-11-27  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-28  0:56   ` Robert Collins