* setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 13:28 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-19 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin-apps

I've found the problem with setup, and am preparing a new version now.

FYI it's an infinite loop caused by the packages autoconf and
autoconf-devel (amongst others) depending on each other.

Rob

* Re: setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 13:35 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-19 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

Robert Collins wrote:

> I've found the problem with setup, and am preparing a new version now.
>
> FYI it's an infinite loop caused by the packages autoconf and
> autoconf-devel (amongst others) depending on each other.

Bleah -- but I tested this earlier.  It worked...or at least I thought I
was exercising the proper code path; I specifically wanted to make sure
that cyclic dependencies were okay.

I guess my earlier 'test' didn't really *test* what I thought it was
testing...sorry for the trouble, folks.

BUT: the dependency loop NEEDS to be there -- becuase those packages ARE
mutually dependent.  It's just that setup needs to traverse the loop
only once and terminate. :-)

--Chuck

* Re: setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 13:36   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

> > I've found the problem with setup, and am preparing a new version
now.
> BUT: the dependency loop NEEDS to be there -- becuase those packages
ARE
> mutually dependent.  It's just that setup needs to traverse the loop
> only once and terminate. :-)

Yes, which is why I'm fixing setup, not hammering on your door about
setup.ini :}.

Rob

* Re: setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 13:48     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

Robert Collins wrote:

> Yes, which is why I'm fixing setup, not hammering on your door about
> setup.ini :}.

Okay, well while you're mucking with the setup code, I've got a question
for you:

1) joe user has the autoconf package installed on his system.  in the
past, autoconf depended only on cygwin, perl, m4

2) now, the new version of autoconf depends on cygwin, perl, m4, AND
autoconf-devel + autoconf-stable.  (I KNOW that joe user doesn't have
autoconf-devel/stable installed because they are brand new packages)

Q: will setup automatically select autoconf-devel and autoconf-stable if
joe chooses to update his autoconf to the new version?  Why?  (merely
because -stable and -devel are NEW, or because of the new dependency
specified by setup.ini for autoconf itself?)

Q: what if the new dependency was on a package -- say, 'squid' -- that
has been around a long time, and joe has previously skipped (so now it's
"permanently" skipped).  Will setup present 'squid' as a new required
dependency and automatically select it if joe decides to update his
existing autoconf?

--Chuck

--Chuck

* Re: setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 14:17       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

> > Yes, which is why I'm fixing setup, not hammering on your door about
> > setup.ini :}.
>
> Okay, well while you're mucking with the setup code, I've got a
question
> for you:
>
> 1) joe user has the autoconf package installed on his system.  in the
> past, autoconf depended only on cygwin, perl, m4
>
> 2) now, the new version of autoconf depends on cygwin, perl, m4, AND
> autoconf-devel + autoconf-stable.  (I KNOW that joe user doesn't have
> autoconf-devel/stable installed because they are brand new packages)
>
> Q: will setup automatically select autoconf-devel and autoconf-stable
if
> joe chooses to update his autoconf to the new version?  Why?  (merely
> because -stable and -devel are NEW, or because of the new dependency
> specified by setup.ini for autoconf itself?)

The dependency.

> Q: what if the new dependency was on a package -- say, 'squid' -- that
> has been around a long time, and joe has previously skipped (so now
it's
> "permanently" skipped).  Will setup present 'squid' as a new required
> dependency and automatically select it if joe decides to update his
> existing autoconf?

Yes.

Rob

* Re: setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 14:47         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-19 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

Robert Collins wrote:

> The dependency.

> Yes.

Massively cool.

--Chuck

* Re: setup current problems
@ 2001-11-19 15:00           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-19 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-29  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin-apps

@ 2001-11-29  1:08   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-29  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

@ 2001-11-29  1:11     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-29  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

@ 2001-11-29  1:19       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-29  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

@ 2001-11-29  1:20         ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-29  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-apps

> > Yes, which is why I'm fixing setup, not hammering on your door about
> > setup.ini :}.
>
> Okay, well while you're mucking with the setup code, I've got a
question
> for you:
>
> 1) joe user has the autoconf package installed on his system.  in the
> past, autoconf depended only on cygwin, perl, m4
>
> 2) now, the new version of autoconf depends on cygwin, perl, m4, AND
> autoconf-devel + autoconf-stable.  (I KNOW that joe user doesn't have
> autoconf-devel/stable installed because they are brand new packages)
>
> Q: will setup automatically select autoconf-devel and autoconf-stable
if
> joe chooses to update his autoconf to the new version?  Why?  (merely
> because -stable and -devel are NEW, or because of the new dependency
> specified by setup.ini for autoconf itself?)

The dependency.

> Q: what if the new dependency was on a package -- say, 'squid' -- that
> has been around a long time, and joe has previously skipped (so now
it's
> "permanently" skipped).  Will setup present 'squid' as a new required
> dependency and automatically select it if joe decides to update his
> existing autoconf?

Yes.

Rob

* Re: setup current problems