* login and ssh: can't authenticate
@ 2001-12-07 16:50 Ryan T. Sammartino
From: Ryan T. Sammartino @ 2001-12-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Yes, I have read everything in /usr/doc/Cygwin, and searched this
mailing list, and read all of Corinna's well-written posts, and yet
login and ssh refuse to log me in.

My /etc/passwd looks very similar to the examples in
/usr/doc/Cygwin/login.README and /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-3.0.1p1-2.README.
My CYGWIN is set to 'ntsec'.  I'm using all the latest packages as of
the writing of this e-mail.  I've been at this for about a day now.

Here are all the details.

As you can see, sshd is running, and it does accept connections:

     PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
     1392      1    1392       1392    ?   18 15:07:57 /usr/sbin/sshd

Here is my entry in /etc/passwds, somewhat censored:

ryans:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:18:10513:Ryan T.
Sammartino,U-*******\ryans,S-1-5-21-*******:/home/ryans:/bin/bash

Now, my UID is 18 so that I could get cron working
(cf: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01859.html),
although I have tried all sorts of numbers in there, including the
default one that mkpasswd generated.

The relevent bits from my cygcheck -s are:

CYGWIN = `ntsec'

    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.3.6
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 47
        Shared data: 3
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Fri Dec 7 00:15:11 EST 2001
        CVS tag: cygwin-1-3-6-5
        Shared id: cygwin1S3

login               1.4-2
openssh             3.0.1p1-2

Now, I am an "Administrator" on this machine... is that "good enough"?
(I'm totally clueless about Win NT/2K 'security'...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Ryan T. Sammartino (ryants@shaw.ca)
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/

* RE: cron doesn't run (was: Re: login and ssh: can't authenticate)
@ 2001-12-11  7:06 ASH, JAMES (SBCSI)
From: ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) @ 2001-12-11  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I and several others have posted this same questions many times. AFAIK, no
one has a solution yet. We are all eager to find one.
Thanks.

From: ASH, JAMES (SBCSI) @ 2001-12-11  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

One thing that seems to be an issue with this is that, if my pc isn't
networked (not connected to our lan), then cron works.  Has anyone else
experienced this?