* RE: Distribution
@ 2001-12-21  5:51 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-12-21  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: mvine29

Note that if you put full sources with the binaries, you provide your user
with everything that RedHat provides with the binary; so either you are
compliant or RedHat is not :-)

Just my .02euro

	Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* Re: Distribution
@ 2001-12-21  8:56 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-12-21  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 02:38:57PM +0100, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
>>If you are in compliance with the licensing of each of the packages
>>that you will be releasing (including the cygwin DLL) then you should
>>be ok.  I can only speak in a semi-official capacity for cygwin.  The
>>other packages have their own licensing terms.  I assume that adhering
>>to the GPL should satisfy all of the licensing terms but I don't know
>>for sure.
>>
>>If you want to be 100% sure of that fact, then you should contact a
>>lawyer.
>

>Note that if you put full sources with the binaries, you provide your
>user with everything that RedHat provides with the binary; so either
>you are compliant or RedHat is not :-)
>
>Just my .02euro

Your .02euro is worth exactly as much as mine.  Neither of us is a
lawyer.  If someone is asking for advice on how to be legally correct
then they should seek appropriate counsel.

cgf

* Re: Distribution
@ 2001-12-21  9:20   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-12-21  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:47:42AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 02:38:57PM +0100, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
>>>If you are in compliance with the licensing of each of the packages
>>>that you will be releasing (including the cygwin DLL) then you should
>>>be ok.  I can only speak in a semi-official capacity for cygwin.  The
>>>other packages have their own licensing terms.  I assume that adhering
>>>to the GPL should satisfy all of the licensing terms but I don't know
>>>for sure.
>>>
>>>If you want to be 100% sure of that fact, then you should contact a
>>>lawyer.
>>

>>Note that if you put full sources with the binaries, you provide your
>>user with everything that RedHat provides with the binary; so either
>>you are compliant or RedHat is not :-)
>>
>>Just my .02euro
>
>Your .02euro is worth exactly as much as mine.  Neither of us is a
>lawyer.  If someone is asking for advice on how to be legally correct
>then they should seek appropriate counsel.

And, just an added note -- for the cygwin DLL, we own the license so we
can do what we want with it.  You can't just emulate Red Hat and assume
that you're ok.

cgf

* bash dos
@ 2001-12-21 12:32     ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-21 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Is there a way to run cygwin from a regular dos prompt?  Must I log in to the
bash shell in order to use the stuff (like g++ flex bison) in cygwin?

I think that if I run things directly under the c:\cygwin\bin or other
directories within c:\cygwin, then certain things work.  I noticed that make
works under some directories and not others.

I have a bunch of bison and flex files in the directory c:\bfeg .
I'd like to run bison and flex on these files.  What is a good way to do this?
With or without the bash shell, please help me understand how to run cygwin
most effectively to accomplish my goals.  Thank you.

=====
Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com

* Re: bash dos
@ 2001-12-21 12:36       ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-12-21 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fractal A.; +Cc: cygwin

/ "Fractal A." <fractala@yahoo.com> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Is there a way to run cygwin from a regular dos prompt?  Must I log in to the
| bash shell in order to use the stuff (like g++ flex bison) in cygwin?

No you don't need to, just put c:\cygwin\bin or wherever you can find
the binaries, in your global path.

A small but though, you need to be careful when you throw paths at the
tools, they want unix-paths, separated by /, not \, and they probably
don't understand drive-letters.

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: bash dos
@ 2001-12-21 12:45       ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-12-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fractal A., cygwin

At 03:19 PM 12/21/2001, Fractal A. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a way to run cygwin from a regular dos prompt?  Must I log in to the
>bash shell in order to use the stuff (like g++ flex bison) in cygwin?
>
>I think that if I run things directly under the c:\cygwin\bin or other
>directories within c:\cygwin, then certain things work.  I noticed that make
>works under some directories and not others.
>
>I have a bunch of bison and flex files in the directory c:\bfeg .
>I'd like to run bison and flex on these files.  What is a good way to do this?
>With or without the bash shell, please help me understand how to run cygwin
>most effectively to accomplish my goals.  Thank you.

Most people with any UNIX/Linux background prefer the more powerful
environment of a GNU shell.  If you don't want to use it though, don't
(your loss! ;-) )  If you're going to use make with DOS-style paths,
you may need to set the MAKE_MODE environment variable to WIN32.
Otherwise, the ":" for drive specifications won't be interpreted correctly.
Cygwin, really, is just a DLL with POSIX emulation.  While all the tools
that come with the distribution depend on this DLL, you're not constrained
to use them in any particular shell.

Larry

* Re: bash dos
@ 2001-12-21 12:52         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-12-21 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo, Fractal A.; +Cc: cygwin

At 03:32 PM 12/21/2001, Andrew Markebo wrote:
>A small but though, you need to be careful when you throw paths at the
>tools, they want unix-paths, separated by /, not \, and they probably
>don't understand drive-letters.

Generally, no.  With the possible exception of additional configuration
for 'make', which I noted in my response to this thread, Cygwin-enabled
tools understand DOS-style paths just fine.  Any that don't would be
considered buggy at this point.

* eg bison errors
@ 2001-12-22 10:40           ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-22 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

Please point me to the appropriate group or forum for asking this question.
Thank you.

I'm using bison 1.28 and flex 2.5.4 for compilation.

To better my understanding of Bison, I would like to see  some good bison
grammars that compile  successfully.  I particularly need help understanding
yyparse, yylex, and other pertinent yy commands to successfully build a
pascal-like compiler.  The lexer is for  the most part written.  The scanner
(parser) is what remains.  If I can get some working examples on bison, that
would help me see that my bison application is working and  help me to use
bison well enough to allow command line reading and writing.

I have used the examples for arithmetic & leo from this university course site.

The main course site:
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/proglang/programs/prog01.html

The example files for lexer and parser:
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/proglang/
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/proglang/examples/

By compiling downloaded the O'Reilly examples, the 'implicit declaration' error
resulted.  I think that the error means that the function needs to be
prototyped in the bison or flex file _or_ a library file such as #include
<stdlib.h> needs to be included.

Here is an error that I received when I compiled ch1-05.l & ch1-05.y using
Bison 1.28 under cygwin.

/bfeg/egoreilly/c15>  $ g++ -Wall -c -gstabs ch1-05.tab.c
/usr/share/bison.simple: In function `int yyparse()':
/usr/share/bison.simple:361: implicit declaration of function `int free(...)'
/usr/share/bison.simple:432: implicit declaration of function `int yylex(...)'

Error: /usr/share/bison.simple:361: implicit declaration of function `int
free(...)'
To get rid of this error, I included #include <stdlib.h> inside of the bison
file.

Error: /usr/share/bison.simple:432: implicit declaration of function `int
yylex(...)'
To get rid of this error, I think that I can prototype int yylex(); inside of
the bison file.  That seems to work.

Error:
/usr/share/bison.simple:643: warning: previous implicit declaration of
`yyerror'
ch1-05.y:38: warning: `yyerror' was previously implicitly declared to return
`int'

This one about yyerror is perplexing indeed.  :)  I don't understand why
yyerror is having a problem right now.  Do you think that I might need to
include other header files or prototypes to get rid of the yyerror?

I wasn't getting this error message before, but now I am.  How might I fix this
error?

ch1-05.l:454: warning: `void yyunput(int, char *)' defined but not used
/usr/lib/libfl.a(libmain.o)(.text+0xd):libmain.c: undefined reference to
`yylex'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Below is what I see at the cygwin prompt when I compile.

$ flex -t ch1-05.l > ch1-05.cxx
$ bison -d ch1-05.y

$ gcc -Wall -gstabs -DFLEX_DEBUG ch1-05.cxx -lfl -o c1
ch1-05.l:454: warning: `void yyunput(int, char *)' defined but not used
/usr/lib/libfl.a(libmain.o)(.text+0xd):libmain.c: undefined reference to
`yylex'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

$ gcc -Wall -c -gstabs ch1-05.cxx
ch1-05.l:454: warning: `void yyunput(int, char *)' defined but not used

$ gcc -Wall -c -gstabs ch1-05.tab.c
/usr/share/bison.simple: In function `yyparse':
/usr/share/bison.simple:358: warning: implicit declaration of function
`yyerror'
ch1-05.y: At top level:
ch1-05.y:31: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
ch1-05.y:38: warning: type mismatch with previous implicit declaration
/usr/share/bison.simple:643: warning: previous implicit declaration of
`yyerror'
ch1-05.y:38: warning: `yyerror' was previously implicitly declared to return
`int'

$ gcc -Wall -gstabs ch1-05.tab.o ch1-05.lex.o -lfl -o c15
gcc: ch1-05.lex.o: No such file or directory

=====

@ 2001-12-18 19:27   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-12-18 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mvine29

@ 2001-12-18  9:39 ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2001-12-18  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: michael vine

> In reality I really only need the cygwin and bash base with devel and editor
> components (in order to teach C Language on win-tel platforms), the others
> are simply gravy.  Thanks again for your assistance!

I'm a profane of legal issues but I bet that as long as you include full sources
and the url of cygwin's homepage theer's no problem, as it is GPL software after
all.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)

* Re: Distribution
@ 2001-12-18  9:14 michael vine
From: michael vine @ 2001-12-18  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for replying so quickly.  Sorry for the vague assumptions.  I would
like to include on the CD-ROM the following components from your download
site/s:
Base:
	bash
	cygwin
	fileutils
	findutils
	grep
	login
	which
Devel:
	binutils
	gcc
Doc:
	man
	newlib-man
Editors:
	nano
	vim
Utils:
	clear
	time

In reality I really only need the cygwin and bash base with devel and editor
components (in order to teach C Language on win-tel platforms), the others
are simply gravy.  Thanks again for your assistance!

P.S.
I also teach part-time for a technical college here in Sacramento
California.  For our C / C++ classes we currently telnet into another
Univiersities UNIX box.  If this goes well, I'd like to recommend CYGWIN as
an alternative for our college.

Michael Vine
Software Engineer / Technical Author / Part-Time Faculty (MTI College)
916-843-5748

>From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>CC: mvine29@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: Distribution
>Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:36:59 -0500
>
>On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 06:24:23PM -0800, michael vine wrote:
> >My name is Michael Vine and I'm a technical author with Premier press.
>I'm
> >starting a new beginner's book on C Language development on UNIX
>platforms.
> >
> >I've found CYGWIN to be very effective for teaching and learning C
>Language
> >/ UNIX on Win platforms and would like to include the CYGWIN software on
>CD
> >with this book.  I've read the license agreement and have derived that it
> >should be ok to do so.  Am I correct in my assumptions?
>
>It's had to guess what your assumptions might be.  What are you assuming
>you can do with the software?  What would you include on the CD?
>
>cgf

* Re: Distribution
@ 2001-12-17 21:13 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-12-17 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mvine29

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 06:24:23PM -0800, michael vine wrote:
>My name is Michael Vine and I'm a technical author with Premier press.  I'm
>starting a new beginner's book on C Language development on UNIX platforms.
>
>I've found CYGWIN to be very effective for teaching and learning C Language
>/ UNIX on Win platforms and would like to include the CYGWIN software on CD
>with this book.  I've read the license agreement and have derived that it
>should be ok to do so.  Am I correct in my assumptions?

It's had to guess what your assumptions might be.  What are you assuming
you can do with the software?  What would you include on the CD?

cgf

* Distribution
@ 2001-12-17 18:36 michael vine
From: michael vine @ 2001-12-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings;

My name is Michael Vine and I'm a technical author with Premier press.  I'm
starting a new beginner's book on C Language development on UNIX platforms.
I've found CYGWIN to be very effective for teaching and learning C Language
/ UNIX on Win platforms and would like to include the CYGWIN software on CD
with this book.  I've read the license agreement and have derived that it
should be ok to do so.  Am I correct in my assumptions?

I should be able to give you, the industry and/or the organization some
plugs in the book if you whish, let me know.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Vine
mvine29@hotmail.com