* CVS and CR, LF
@ 2001-12-21 16:36 David Koski
From: David Koski @ 2001-12-21 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I have been using CVS successfully to maintain source code on a Linux based CVS
server.  The files have been edited with DOS applications and have CR, LF record
terminators.  The local source is on a Linux Samba share so it has been easy to
use the Linux client CVS to commit, update with.  So far so good.  But, one of
our programmers does not have Linux, so cygwin seemed natural.  However, "cvs
diff" thinks the whole files have changed, except for any file not "touched".
After a "cvs update" or "cvs checkout", there is no problem.  However, even
after only a "touch" without modification (only modification time changed), cvs
fails.

I have tried many remedies found in Usenet archives without success.  Any
insight will be appreciated.

Regards,
David Koski
david@kosmosisland.com

* Re: CVS and CR, LF
@ 2001-12-22  7:16 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-12-22  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Koski; +Cc: cygwin

Which cvs do you use (cygwin?) and how do you connect to the repository?

Doesn't the windows/dos cvs'es convert CRLF's to LF (or what it is ;-)
When we use wincvs around here, talking to a repository-server on
unix, I think it is taken care of automagically.

Hmm could it be the mounts of the filesystems you edit the files on?
If you mount it as textmode, cygwin cvs might just see the LF's..

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: CVS and CR, LF
@ 2001-12-23  1:58   ` David Koski
From: David Koski @ 2001-12-23  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Andrew Markebo

On 22 Dec 2001 10:15:51 +0100
Andrew Markebo <flognat@flognat.myip.org> wrote:

> Which cvs do you use (cygwin?) and how do you connect to the repository?

cvs --version:

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11 (Client/Server)

uname -a:

CYGWIN_98-4.10 PRO2 1.3.5(0.47/3/2) 2001-11-13 23:16 i686 unknown

Environment CVS_RSH=ssh first.  Then cvs commands are executed either from the
DOS prompt or from bash.  The results are the same.

> Doesn't the windows/dos cvs'es convert CRLF's to LF (or what it is ;-)
> When we use wincvs around here, talking to a repository-server on
> unix, I think it is taken care of automagically.

I suspect the CR is filtered out somewhere.  They are definately in the
repository.  The files were created on a Samba share using the Borland IDE which
produces CRLF's, before importing and commiting with a Linux client to a Linux
server.  Linux's CVS works perfectly and has no problem with the CR's.  It is
only Cygwin that has the problem with the existing repository.

> Hmm could it be the mounts of the filesystems you edit the files on?
> If you mount it as textmode, cygwin cvs might just see the LF's..

I will have to look into mounts.  It is a default install but setting
CYGWIN=binmode doesn't help.

@ 2001-12-24 21:01   ` David Koski
From: David Koski @ 2001-12-24 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo; +Cc: cygwin

You are correct about the mount points.  I mounted in binary mode, then used cvs
in bash and it now works correctly.  Setting CYGWIN=binmode did not have the
same effect.

Thank you for your input.

David
david@kosmosisland.com

@ 2001-12-25  9:18     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-12-25  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 08:46:23PM -0800, David Koski wrote:
>You are correct about the mount points.  I mounted in binary mode, then used cvs
>in bash and it now works correctly.  Setting CYGWIN=binmode did not have the
>same effect.

Nor should it.  CYGWIN=binmode does not affect files when the files can be determined
via a mount point.

cgf

* Bison 1.30
@ 2001-12-25 22:33     ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-25 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Everyone,

Happy Holidays to everyone on the list!  :)

When you do get back, could you please tell me how to get bison 1.30 for Cygwin
to work.  Is it easy or hard to do?  What is involved in doing this?

Is Bison 1.30 compatible with Cygwin?  Can I download the GNU source for Bison
1.30, compile it, and then use it with Cygwin?

Thank you for your help.  :)

=====
Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com

* Bison 1.30
@ 2001-12-25 23:11       ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-25 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Everyone,

Happy Holidays to everyone on the list!  :)

When you do get back, could you please tell me how to get bison 1.30 for Cygwin
to work.  Is it easy or hard to do?  What is involved in doing this?

Is Bison 1.30 compatible with Cygwin?  Can I download the GNU source for Bison
1.30, compile it, and then use it with Cygwin?

Thank you for your help.  :)

=====
Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com

* Re: Bison 1.30
@ 2001-12-26  1:58       ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-12-26  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fractal A., cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

Do you specifically need version 1.30? My Cygwin installation, which I
belive to be complete and up-to-date, includes bison 1.28:

% bison --version
GNU Bison version 1.28

The current Cygwin also includes flex 2.5.4.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 22:00 2001-12-25, Fractal A. wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>Happy Holidays to everyone on the list!  :)
>
>When you do get back, could you please tell me how to get bison 1.30 for
>Cygwin to work.  Is it easy or hard to do?  What is involved in doing this?
>
>Is Bison 1.30 compatible with Cygwin?  Can I download the GNU source for
>Bison 1.30, compile it, and then use it with Cygwin?
>
>Thank you for your help.  :)
>
>=====
>Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com

* Re: Bison 1.30
@ 2001-12-26  9:45         ` Fractal A.
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-26  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

Because the compiler (bison 1.28) appears to be working incorrectly, I believe
that a newer version of bison might solve the problem.  I don't know why the
"implicit declaration" error is occurring.  I don't know what to do to solve
it.  The arithmetic.lex and arithmetic.y files were compiling properly before.
When the other files started outputting the "implicit declaration" error, it
seems that everything stopped working correctly.  The error is of the type
"implicit declaration" of several different yy functions.  If you think of
something to help, please let me know.  Thanks.

Examples of the error:
Errors of this nature cause me to believe that the compiler is failing.

C:\cygwin2\c15>g++ -Wall -c -gstabs ch1-05.y.tab.c
/usr/share/bison.simple: In function `int yyparse()':
/usr/share/bison.simple:358: implicit declaration of function `int
yyerror(...)'

C:\cygwin2\ega>g++ -Wall -c -gstabs arithmetic.y.tab.c
/usr/share/bison.simple: In function `int yyparse()':
/usr/share/bison.simple:361: implicit declaration of function `int free(...)'

=====

@ 2001-12-26 11:55           ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-26 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-12-27  1:51           ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-12-27  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fractal A., Randall R Schulz, cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

> Because the compiler (bison 1.28) appears to be working incorrectly, I
believe
> that a newer version of bison might solve the problem.  I don't know why
the
> "implicit declaration" error is occurring.  I don't know what to do to
solve
> it.  The arithmetic.lex and arithmetic.y files were compiling properly
before.
> When the other files started outputting the "implicit declaration" error,
it
> seems that everything stopped working correctly.  The error is of the type
> "implicit declaration" of several different yy functions.  If you think of
> something to help, please let me know.  Thanks.
>
> Examples of the error:
> Errors of this nature cause me to believe that the compiler is failing.
>
> C:\cygwin2\c15>g++ -Wall -c -gstabs ch1-05.y.tab.c
> /usr/share/bison.simple: In function `int yyparse()':
> /usr/share/bison.simple:358: implicit declaration of function `int
> yyerror(...)'
>
> C:\cygwin2\ega>g++ -Wall -c -gstabs arithmetic.y.tab.c
> /usr/share/bison.simple: In function `int yyparse()':
> /usr/share/bison.simple:361: implicit declaration of function `int
free(...)'

> =====
> Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com
What evidence do you have that bison would make a sudden change from its
traditional form?  If it hasn't adapted to the C89 style in over 10 years,
why now?  You ask gcc for warning messages, gcc complies.  What chance would
the cygwin developers have of changing bison, even if they wished to do so?

* RE: Bison 1.30
@ 2001-12-27  2:39           ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2001-12-27  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fractal A.', 'Randall R Schulz', cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

You need to define your own yyerror function. Bison uses it the report
an error.
It has the following prototype: void yyerror(char*s)
As for the rest, include <stdlib.h> and/or <stdio.h>, and perhaps some
others depending on the actions you used in your rules.
I have used bison 1.28, a LOT, and found no real problems other than
suboptimal code in some cases.

Stphano Mariani

PS: You can try bison-1.30-1 now, and see for yourself bison is not at
fault.

@ 2001-12-27  7:00             ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-27  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, 'Randall R Schulz', cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Thanks Stephano!

I wondered about versions of Bison simply to rule out possible sources of
error.  You are right in that using Bison 1.30 did not make any difference.

I'll try this solution next.  Thanks again!

=====

@ 2001-12-27  7:13               ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-27  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, 'Randall R Schulz', cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-12-27  8:08               ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2001-12-27  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fractal A.', 'Randall R Schulz', cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

The *only* solution is:

Add
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
Into the
%{
%} Section

And add
void yyerror(char*s)
{
  printf("%s",s);
}

After the final %%

Then see if you get the same.
If so send me a copy of the output from the compiler and bison.

Stephano

PS: bison is not a compiler. In your case g++ is. Bison Is a parser
generator.

I wondered about versions of Bison simply to rule out possible sources
of error.  You are right in that using Bison 1.30 did not make any
difference.

I'll try this solution next.  Thanks again!

=====
Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com

* other gnu to windows
@ 2001-12-29  3:16                 ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2001-12-29  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

If I wanted to take use some other gnu application in a windows environment
using the cygwin files, then what do I do?  Can I use the regular cygwin setup
to detect the new gnu application to be installed under the usr/ directory?
Would I need to do something special to the gnu application to port it to
windows using cygwin?

I was considering porting flex++ or bison++ out of curiosity and as a challenge
to myself.  Because I don't need it right now, I don't think that I will do
this.  I wonder about having one operating system as a base and putting windows
and linux and anything else on top of it.  The system calls would go through
the base operating system.  I wondered if a bug in windows could turn windows
into another operating system.  The bug or worm gets into the system call area
and translates the entire windows system into a viable linux system.  Wouldn't
a bug like that be cool?  And maybe there would be a (really evil yucky) bug
that transformed a linux system into a windows system.  Enough midnight
musings!  Thanks for your help!

=====

@ 2001-12-29 12:22       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-12-29 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 08:46:23PM -0800, David Koski wrote:
>
>>You are correct about the mount points.  I mounted in binary mode, then used cvs
>>in bash and it now works correctly.  Setting CYGWIN=binmode did not have the
>>same effect.
>>

> Nor should it.  CYGWIN=binmode does not affect files when the files can be determined
> via a mount point.

Hmmm...I suppose this all means that I missed an open() or fopen() call
somewhere in gdbm or cvs, and it needs to have the appropriate
"O_BINARY" or "b" added.  However, I'm nervous about making that sort of
change even if I DO find one -- wouldn't that mess up folks who are
happily using cvs with local working dirs on textmode mounts?  Or is
that a non-existent class of users, and everybody using cvs is also
using binary mode mounts?

Can anybody who uses text mode local mounts birddog this for me?

--Chuck
gdbm/cvs cygwin maintainer

* Re: CVS and CR, LF
@ 2001-12-31 11:01         ` camalot
From: camalot @ 2001-12-31 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

  Charles> Christopher Faylor wrote:
  >> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 08:46:23PM -0800, David Koski wrote:
  >>> You are correct about the mount points.  I mounted in binary
  >>> mode, then used cvs in bash and it now works correctly.  Setting
  >>> CYGWIN=binmode did not have the same effect.
  >>>
  >> Nor should it.  CYGWIN=binmode does not affect files when the
  >> files can be determined via a mount point.

  Charles> Hmmm...I suppose this all means that I missed an open() or
  Charles> fopen() call somewhere in gdbm or cvs, and it needs to have
  Charles> the appropriate "O_BINARY" or "b" added.

no, No, NO, NOOOOOOO... Please do not do this.

The company I work for uses a CVS repository on Linux and pserver
authentication to support checkins from both Linux and Windows2000
machines running Cygwin with everything textmode mounted.

While the user that originally reported the problem fixed it for his
situation, he did it in a way that directly contravenes the stated way
that CVS is supposed to work.

From _Open Source Development with CVS_ by Karl Fogel, page 52 on CVS
and Binary Files:

    CVS has some special tricks for text files. For example, when
    it's working between a Unix repository and a Windows or Macintosh
    working copy, it converts file line endings appropriately for each
    platform.  For example, Unix convention is to use a linefeed (LF)
    only, whereas Windows expects a carriage return/linefeed (CRLF)
    sequence at the end of each line.  Thus, the files in a working
    copy on a Windows machine will have CRLF endings, but a working
    copy of the same project on a Unix machine will have LF endings
    (the repository itself is always stored in LF format).

Please note the parenthetical remark at the end of the above
paragraph!  This is the reason (along with disabling keyword
expansion) for the need for the -kb flag on CVS add commands of binary
files.  It prevents them from being munged by the line ending
conversion and keyword expansion.

The reason turning binary mode on worked for the user who reported the
problem is that under Unix, since CVS expects the files to already be
in LF only form, it doesn't do any EOL conversion, so when they
checked in files with Windows CRLF endings on Linux, they got into the
repository this way.

In general this is not a desirable situation, although it works for
the reporting user.  It is a side-effect of the rather incomplete
support CVS has for these line ending conversions which cause us
enough trouble as it is when people accidentally checking from a
cygwin Windows box with the mounts setup incorrectly or copy a Windows
file over to a Linux machine and check it in without fixing the line
endings.  If the cygwin CVS client starts always checking in the files
as binary, all hope is lost...

  Charles> However, I'm nervous about making that sort of change even
  Charles> if I DO find one -- wouldn't that mess up folks who are
  Charles> happily using cvs with local working dirs on textmode
  Charles> mounts?  Or is that a non-existent class of users, and
  Charles> everybody using cvs is also using binary mode mounts?

  Charles> Can anybody who uses text mode local mounts birddog this
  Charles> for me?

I hope the above explanation covered the issue in enough detail.
Please let me know if you have more questions about how we are using
the cygwin CVS client or my understanding of how the CVS repository is
supposed to work.

    Thanks, Keith

* RE: Bison 1.30
@ 2001-12-26 12:39 Puttkammer, Roman
From: Puttkammer, Roman @ 2001-12-26 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You'll need to include some header files to avoid the errors. Use
<stdlib.h> for free(). I'm not sure where yyerror() is supposed
to be declared - I'd think it's in a header file which comes with
bison.

roman