* chmod
@ 2001-12-26 20:19 Facey Brian
From: Facey Brian @ 2001-12-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Developers,

I am using cygwin 1.3.6-6 on Windows NT 4 Server SP 6 and cannot do a
chmod on a file.  The permissions just remain the same.  I even did a
chmod -v 600 on a file.  The output showed that the permissions had
changed.  However, when I did an ls -la, the permissions remained the
same.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Brian Facey

* Re: chmod
@ 2001-12-26 20:30 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-12-26 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:21:05PM -0500, Facey Brian wrote:
>I am using cygwin 1.3.6-6 on Windows NT 4 Server SP 6 and cannot do a
>chmod on a file.  The permissions just remain the same.  I even did a
>chmod -v 600 on a file.  The output showed that the permissions had
>changed.  However, when I did an ls -la, the permissions remained the
>same.
>
>Please advise.

Read the FAQ.  Read the documentation.  Read the cygwin mailing list
archives.

cgf

* Re: chmod
@ 2003-11-15 17:28           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-11-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 11:21:41AM -0600, Brian Ford wrote:
>I'm sorry for being grumpy, but I just don't know what's left to tell.
>I guess WJM rubs off quickly, huh?

It's the subliminal messages we put in the cygwin DLL source code.  As
soon as you start to become more knowledgeable about cygwin, you
automatically become meaner.  Glad to see it's working.

cgf

* Re: chmod
       [not found]       ` <001201c3ab3b$f6f24ac0$a124ff29@fastwebnet.it>
@ 2003-11-15 17:21         ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Lorenzo Travaglio

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> > Ugh.  Again, what OS and what filesystem, and:
> Sorry. Win98.

And FAT32, and did you read these?

> Brian Ford wrote:
> > More likely, you are running an NT variant at work and 9x at home?  See:
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC45 and
> > http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PERM

And again:
> > In that case, this is not Xfree86 related, so next time please use the
> > main cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list.  Also, see:

And you must not have read this *still*, because you did not attach
cygcheck output.
> > http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html
> >
> > for how to report this issue correctly so that someone can answer without
> > guessing.  Thanks.

I don't even really know what the question is anymore!  chmod is a no-op
on Win98.  Cygwin fakes permissions there, and it won't work.

If this is not clear enough, or did not answer your question, please
carefully follow the guidlines presented in the URL above, post to
the correct list with an informative subject line, and then maybe you'll
get the answer your looking for.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: chmod
       [not found] <000701c3a8d3$e0917220$a124ff29@fastwebnet.it>
@ 2003-11-12 14:58 ` Igor Pechtchanski
       [not found] ` <Pine.GSO.4.56.0311121045260.9584@eos>
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-11-12 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo Travaglio; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-xfree

Lorenzo,

This doesn't seem to be XFree-related, so the proper list is <cygwin at
cygwin dot com>.  I've redirected this there.

More replies inline below.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've sent to myself from my office a little bash program. With Xterm it is
> impossible to change the peremissions even if 'chmod -v' says that new
> permissions have take place. I have no idea about, do you have one?
>
> Thank you

The FAQ is your friend: <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC45>
However, that entry is missing one important bit: if you're on a FAT32
filesystem, you're out of luck as well.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: chmod
@ 2002-10-16  5:43 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2002-10-16  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kris Thielemans', CygWin Users' List

just tried with ntsec enabled. if run as ./foo.sh the script foo.sh will run
whether or not the executable bit is set. the only difference was that bash
wouldn't auto complete it for me when not marked as executable ;)

* RE: chmod
@ 2002-10-16  5:03   ` Kris Thielemans
From: Kris Thielemans @ 2002-10-16  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List, Andrei Cernea

> [...]

> appropriately will make them executable.  Note that I don't think that
> this is the same as typical file extensions, but I could be wrong.  Then
> you could tie .pl to perl and who knows what else, too.  Perhaps all
> that's necessary to have the system honor the shebang line is the x bit;
> it's been a while since I was an active cygwin reader.
>
> The bottom line is that you should direct your question to the cygwin
> mailing list, where I've sent a copy of this message (Hi, all! Long time,
> no see :-) and to which I've directed followups.  Yes, the reporting
> address is the bug-fileutils mailing list, but this isn't a bug but
> instead a peculiarity of the cygwin environment.
>

> HTH & HAND
>
> :-D
> --
> David T-G                      * There is too much animal courage in

* Re: chmod
       [not found] <880E371DA312D6119BFD00B0D02090C4496CA1@dinobot>
@ 2002-10-16  3:08 ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-10-16  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FileUtils bugs; +Cc: Andrei Cernea, CygWin Users' List

Andrei --

...and then Andrei Cernea said...
%
% Hi!
%
[...]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 187 bytes --]

* RE: chmod
@ 2001-12-27 16:00 Sommer, Thorsten
From: Sommer, Thorsten @ 2001-12-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Facey Brian'; +Cc: cygwin

Hi, Brian ...

> I am using cygwin 1.3.6-6 on Windows NT 4 Server SP 6 and cannot do a
> chmod on a file.  The permissions just remain the same.  I even did a
> chmod -v 600 on a file.  The output showed that the permissions had
> changed.  However, when I did an ls -la, the permissions remained the
> same.

I think you should investigate the CYGWIN environment variable
and its value "ntsec" ;-)

Greetings from Germany,
Th.

* Re: chmod
@ 2001-10-24 10:46 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-10-24 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Mansfield, Michael Erdely

At 01:21 PM 10/24/2001, Richard Mansfield wrote:
>I am trying to install fetchmail in cygwin. (My laptop can't run XFree86.)
>The problem I am having is that I can't get chmod to work to get the
>proper permissions for the .fetchmailrc file!!!
>
>melvin@WESTON ~
>$ ls -l .fetchmailrc
>-rw-r--r--    1 melvin   544            76 Apr 23  2001 .fetchmailrc
>
>melvin@WESTON ~
>$ chmod -v 0600 .fetchmailrc
>mode of `.fetchmailrc' changed to 0600 (rw-------)
>
>melvin@WESTON ~
>$ ls -l .fetchmailrc
>-rw-r--r--    1 melvin   544            76 Apr 23  2001 .fetchmailrc
>
>melvin@WESTON ~
$

Hm, sounds like an FAQ to me.  Did you look at the FAQ, specifically the
entry:

Why doesn't chmod work?
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC44

?

If not, you may want to review this and any other related FAQ entry.  If
these don't help and you don't see anything useful in other documentation
(User's Guide, mail archives, etc.), you'll need to provide some more
specifics about your case to the list.

Regards,

* chmod
@ 2001-10-24 10:20 Richard Mansfield
From: Richard Mansfield @ 2001-10-24 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Erdely

@ 2001-04-18  9:24 Simha, Shuba
From: Simha, Shuba @ 2001-04-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'rhenderson@alpha1.net', cygwin

See:
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC37

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

- Shuba

From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-04-18  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhenderson, cygwin

At 12:21 PM 4/18/2001, rhenderson wrote:
>Is there anyway to have a file perm  read 600 (-rw------)?

Certainly.  If this doesn't work for you by default, read the user doc and
FAQ's w.r.t to chmod and security/permissions.  The short answer is that
this will work as expected on NT only and only if you set ntsec and/or ntea
on your CYGWIN environment variable.  The docs give the details of these
changes and why you may or may not want to exercise these options.

* chmod
@ 2001-04-18  9:15 rhenderson
From: rhenderson @ 2001-04-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-04-05  8:10 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-04-05  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 10:40:29AM -0400, Simha, Shuba wrote:
> I downloaded cygwin for my winNT 4.
> I am using SSH & SCP from Cygwin to connect to a remote host(with a
> different username as that of cygwin) & get some files. But when I do scp,
> it says "permission denied". I tried changing the permissions of the
> homedir, but since chmod does not work on cygwin (which is very
> disgusting!!), I am stuck here !!

It's not disgusting, you're simply wrong.

> I read all the documentation, FAQ & user guides about chmod. I badly want
> scp to work, please help...
> What about ntea? How do I set this environment variable? I want to make
> clear that this client machine is used for heavy applications, that are
> memory & space intensive. I understand that ntea creates a file that grows
> extensively! Are there any possible solutions for my problem??
>
> Any help asap is highly appreciated.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: chmod
@ 2001-04-05  8:04 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-04-05  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simha, Shuba, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 10:40 AM 4/5/2001, Simha, Shuba wrote:
>I downloaded cygwin for my winNT 4.
>I am using SSH & SCP from Cygwin to connect to a remote host(with a
>different username as that of cygwin) & get some files. But when I do scp,
>it says "permission denied". I tried changing the permissions of the
>homedir, but since chmod does not work on cygwin (which is very
>disgusting!!), I am stuck here !!
>I read all the documentation, FAQ & user guides about chmod. I badly want
>scp to work, please help...
>What about ntea? How do I set this environment variable? I want to make
>clear that this client machine is used for heavy applications, that are
>memory & space intensive. I understand that ntea creates a file that grows
>extensively! Are there any possible solutions for my problem??

Are you suggesting that you're running NT 4 with FAT partitions?  If so,
setting your CYGWIN environment variable to ntea is your only option for
getting chmod to work with Cygwin.  If you use NTFS partitions, you're better
off setting ntsec.  Since you've already read the user guide documentation,
I'm sure I don't need to point you to the page that describes these settings
and what they mean.

Hope that's helpful to you,

* chmod
@ 2001-04-05  7:41 Simha, Shuba
From: Simha, Shuba @ 2001-04-05  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I downloaded cygwin for my winNT 4.
I am using SSH & SCP from Cygwin to connect to a remote host(with a
different username as that of cygwin) & get some files. But when I do scp,
it says "permission denied". I tried changing the permissions of the
homedir, but since chmod does not work on cygwin (which is very
disgusting!!), I am stuck here !!
I read all the documentation, FAQ & user guides about chmod. I badly want
scp to work, please help...
What about ntea? How do I set this environment variable? I want to make
clear that this client machine is used for heavy applications, that are
memory & space intensive. I understand that ntea creates a file that grows
extensively! Are there any possible solutions for my problem??

Any help asap is highly appreciated.

Thanks..
SS

* Re: chmod
@ 2001-03-21  7:14 ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-21  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Antanas,
  Make sure that you have CYGWIN=ntsec in your enviroment.
  This is a FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC37

-ME

From: Antanas Romas @ 2001-03-21  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: antanas

@ 2001-02-28  1:52 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-28  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:34:17AM +0100, Mag. M. Faffelberger wrote:
> hi,
>
> where can i find a listing of poosible modes and their meanings for "chmod"

Command line: man chmod
Webbrowser:   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/chmod.html

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* chmod
@ 2001-02-28  0:33 Mag. M. Faffelberger
From: Mag. M. Faffelberger @ 2001-02-28  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi,

where can i find a listing of poosible modes and their meanings for "chmod"

thanx
matthias