* Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 13:48 Richard H. McCullough
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard H. McCullough @ 2014-06-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have an iMac 27 64-bit words running OS X Mavericks.

Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?

I know it's not necessary, but I thought it might be helpful
for working on system porting/compatibility problems.

Dick McCullough
Context Knowledge Systems
What is your view?

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 14:06 ` tednolan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: tednolan @ 2014-06-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In message <COL129-W5D99D52355F33D9159FA1CB2D0@phx.gbl>you write:
>I have an iMac 27 64-bit words running OS X Mavericks.
>
>Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?
>
>I know it's not necessary, but I thought it might be helpful
>for working on system porting/compatibility problems.
>
>Dick McCullough

Only in the sense that your can run a Windows emulator on OX X
and run cygwin in that.

A quick google suggest that OS X can run VirtualBox or QEMU

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 14:12 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-06-05 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 6/5/2014 07:48, Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?

cygwin1.dll uses the Win32 API heavily.  That means it only runs under
Windows or a near-enough clone like WINE.

A few of the key tools for Cygwin are also Win32-native, such as
setup.exe and cygcheck.exe.  And, at least one of the packages ported to
Cygwin calls the Win32 API directly, which is Naughty(tm) but not
actively prevented.

I've tried CrossOver (the commercial version of WINE) under OS X, and
it's a miserable experience.

My advice: set up a Windows VM and install Cygwin in it.  I have used
both VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop on OS X, and they work
beautifully.  (Better than virtualization on Windows, in fact.)
VirtualBox also runs on OS X, but it is not as featureful as the other two.

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 14:16   ` Yuriy Chernyshov
From: Yuriy Chernyshov @ 2014-06-05 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why do you need  cygwin under MasOS X?
MacOS X is POSIX-compatible system that can run all the cygwin
software natively, without API emulation.

On 5 June 2014 18:11, Warren Young <warren@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On 6/5/2014 07:48, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>>

>> Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?
>

> cygwin1.dll uses the Win32 API heavily.  That means it only runs under
> Windows or a near-enough clone like WINE.
>
> A few of the key tools for Cygwin are also Win32-native, such as setup.exe
> and cygcheck.exe.  And, at least one of the packages ported to Cygwin calls
> the Win32 API directly, which is Naughty(tm) but not actively prevented.
>
> I've tried CrossOver (the commercial version of WINE) under OS X, and it's a
> miserable experience.
>
> My advice: set up a Windows VM and install Cygwin in it.  I have used both
> VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop on OS X, and they work beautifully.
> (Better than virtualization on Windows, in fact.) VirtualBox also runs on OS
> X, but it is not as featureful as the other two.
>
> --

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 14:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-06-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard H. McCullough, cygwin

Greetings, Richard H. McCullough!

> I have an iMac 27 64-bit words running OS X Mavericks.

> Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?

> I know it's not necessary, but I thought it might be helpful
> for working on system porting/compatibility problems.

Not at all.
If you truly NEED Cygwin, i.e. for tests, a WinXP or so installed in a VM is a
way to go.
Otherwise, just use regular native tools available in your system. Only
precaution I might suggest is to make sure the tools you are using are
available for Cygwin in the same (or compatible enough) form.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 14:58     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-06-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 6/5/2014 08:16, Yuriy Chernyshov wrote:
> Why do you need  cygwin under MasOS X?

He answered that in the original post: to test compatibility.  OS X and
Cygwin differ in a great many ways.

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 15:16   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-06-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/5/2014 08:35, Andrey Repin wrote:
> make sure the tools you are using are
> available for Cygwin in the same (or compatible enough) form.

OS X is closest to the BSDs in terms of userland and kernel APIs,
whereas Cygwin mostly emulates Linux, except where Win32 leaks through.
  There are plenty of differences between them that can justify testing
under both environments:

- vast dynamic linkage, networking, and ACL/EA differences
- /Users, /System, /Library vs /home, /sbin, /lib
- BSD find, locate, etc. vs GNU findutils
- bsdtar vs GNU tar
- no /proc in OS X
- /dev/clipboard vs pbcopy/pbpaste
- strace vs dtrace
- /etc files, SAM and AD vs Open Directory
- launchd vs Windows Services

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-05 18:58 ` Kevin Layer
From: Kevin Layer @ 2014-06-05 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard H. McCullough wrote:

>> I have an iMac 27 64-bit words running OS X Mavericks.
>>
>> Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?
>>
>> I know it's not necessary, but I thought it might be helpful
>> for working on system porting/compatibility problems.

Try macports.org if you need programs compatible with Cygwin's
version, where either Mac OS doesn't have it (lots) or it's different
(ssh).

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-05 23:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-06-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, cygwin

Greetings, Warren Young!

>> make sure the tools you are using are
>> available for Cygwin in the same (or compatible enough) form.

> OS X is closest to the BSDs in terms of userland and kernel APIs,
> whereas Cygwin mostly emulates Linux, except where Win32 leaks through.
>   There are plenty of differences between them that can justify testing
> under both environments:

> - vast dynamic linkage, networking, and ACL/EA differences
> - /Users, /System, /Library vs /home, /sbin, /lib
> - BSD find, locate, etc. vs GNU findutils
> - bsdtar vs GNU tar
> - no /proc in OS X
> - /dev/clipboard vs pbcopy/pbpaste
> - strace vs dtrace
> - /etc files, SAM and AD vs Open Directory
> - launchd vs Windows Services

I kind of know that. Had a Mac for short of a year myself, and used and
exploited it thoroughly.
I think, the real question could only be answered by the OP himself: What
actually you are doing, what parts of the system your scripts are touching,
etc.
I know what I write (that has to be cross-platform) is easily portable,
because it is pretty self-contained, not touching the system core in any way.
At least, it works transparently on Mac/Linux/Win with no changes to the core
functionality, even if sometimes need a bit of pre-configuration to adapt to
the specific user's locations and such. But this would be true for many
projects.

--

@ 2014-06-06  0:12       ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-06  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Warren Young!
>
>>> make sure the tools you are using are
>>> available for Cygwin in the same (or compatible enough) form.
>
>> OS X is closest to the BSDs in terms of userland and kernel APIs,
>> whereas Cygwin mostly emulates Linux, except where Win32 leaks through.
>>    There are plenty of differences between them that can justify testing
>> under both environments:
>
>> - vast dynamic linkage, networking, and ACL/EA differences
>> - /Users, /System, /Library vs /home, /sbin, /lib
>> - BSD find, locate, etc. vs GNU findutils
>> - bsdtar vs GNU tar
>> - no /proc in OS X
>> - /dev/clipboard vs pbcopy/pbpaste
>> - strace vs dtrace
>> - /etc files, SAM and AD vs Open Directory
>> - launchd vs Windows Services
>
> I kind of know that. Had a Mac for short of a year myself, and used and
> exploited it thoroughly.
> I think, the real question could only be answered by the OP himself: What
> actually you are doing, what parts of the system your scripts are touching,
> etc.
> I know what I write (that has to be cross-platform) is easily portable,
> because it is pretty self-contained, not touching the system core in any way.
> At least, it works transparently on Mac/Linux/Win with no changes to the core
> functionality, even if sometimes need a bit of pre-configuration to adapt to
> the specific user's locations and such. But this would be true for many
> projects.

I had a crazy idea about this.

You could port cygport to OS X. That shouldn't be too hard.

Then grab the source packages using setup on a Windows box and scp them
over to your Mac. Then remove any Cygwin specific patches, and build
them using cygport (most of them do). Maybe change the configs to
install in /usr/cygwin/bin or /opt/cygwin/bin or something like that. I
think most things should compile without too much difficulty, and you'll
have a fairly compatible Cygwin-like system on your Mac.

Yes, I know that some Cygwin-specific apps probably won't compile at all.

After all, it's not cygwin1.dll that you want to port, it's the Cygwin
environment.

Probably a fantasy. Using the Macports stuff is almost certainly easier.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin on Max OS X ?
@ 2014-06-06 14:26         ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-06-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 6/5/2014 18:12, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> You could port cygport to OS X. That shouldn't be too hard.

Look over that list I posted again.  The only thing such an effort would
do is let you hide the BSD userland tools behind GNU ones by putting the
latter first in the PATH.  Every other item would remain as a functional
difference between the two systems.

If that's all you need, there are easier paths to the same destination.

The cool kids are using Homebrew these days.  http://brew.sh/