* Who is supposed to set SIGURG for OOB  in rlogin/tcp/rcmd??
@ 2002-01-03 13:46 Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2002-01-03 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am using rlogin to talk to a sun box, and have noticed that my rows &
columns are not being set, so I'm not getting good terminal
characteristics.  After digging down into the rlogin code (and cross
comparing with some debian/linux code), it seems as though someone
is not passing the SIGURG (Urgent Out Of Band data) signal back
to rlogin, and so rlogin does not know that it needs to send the
terminal characteristics back to the remote session.

My question is, who is supposed to be passing on the SIGUSR
signal?  rlogin is setting the appropriate handler, but it is never
being called.

Thanks.

* Re: Who is supposed to set SIGURG for OOB  in rlogin/tcp/rcmd??
       [not found]   ` <200201071733.g07HXZd19334@mail.redhat.com>
@ 2002-01-07 12:24     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-07 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:32:41AM -0700, Mark Paulus wrote:
> Would you like some help, or what kind of patch are you
> looking for?

A patch to Cygwin to allow OOB signal handling and async-IO handling
even on blocking sockets.  Winsock only supports async-IO on non-
blocking sockets.

Corinna

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:29:03 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:47:17PM -0700, Mark Paulus wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using rlogin to talk to a sun box, and have noticed that my rows &
> >> columns are not being set, so I'm not getting good terminal
> >> characteristics.  After digging down into the rlogin code (and cross
> >> comparing with some debian/linux code), it seems as though someone
> >> is not passing the SIGURG (Urgent Out Of Band data) signal back
> >> to rlogin, and so rlogin does not know that it needs to send the
> >> terminal characteristics back to the remote session.
> >>
> >> My question is, who is supposed to be passing on the SIGUSR
> >> signal?  rlogin is setting the appropriate handler, but it is never
> >> being called.
> >
> >SIGURG is sort of a problem for Cygwin due to the way Winsock
> >handles messages.  In contrast to SIGURG on U*X systems, which
> >is sent always when OOB messages arrive, the corresponding Winsock
> >FD_OOB message is only generated when async IO is used (as is on
> >U*X sytems with SIGIO).  Unfortunately, using async IO on sockets
> >has some unwanted side-effects.  I began to implement something
> >appropriate but my current solution breaks ssh so that's not going
> >to help very much.
> >
> >The current Cygwin doesn't handle SIGURG at all and unless I can
> >find a practical workaround for my async IO problem or unless
> >somebody else contributes a patch this stae will not change that
> >quickly.
> >
> >Corinna
> >
> >--
> >Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
> >Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> >Red Hat, Inc.
> >
> >--
>

> --

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Who is supposed to set SIGURG for OOB  in rlogin/tcp/rcmd??
@ 2002-01-07  9:32   ` Mark Paulus
       [not found]   ` <200201071733.g07HXZd19334@mail.redhat.com>
From: Mark Paulus @ 2002-01-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin