* login 1.4-2 LASTLOG file mismatch
@ 2002-01-04 13:34 Joshua
From: Joshua @ 2002-01-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    All,

    I think I've found a small bug in the login program code versus the man
page regarding the last login feature.  The man page indicates that the file
necessary for storing the last login information is /var/log/lastlog, and
this file was actually created with zero length automatically.  But the code
references the file location as /usr/adm/lastlog, which is not created
automatically.

    When I created a zero length file /usr/adm/lastlog, the login program
now shows the last login date, time, and source.  Now, after the first use
of the /usr/adm/lastlog file, it's size grew to 3,048,420 bytes!  What's in
that file?  Is that normal?

    As a side question, when I compile Cygwin programs locally, they seem to
be much larger than the binaries installed by setup.exe.  For example, login
installed by setup.exe is 11,776 bytes; the login that I compiled myself is
44,945 bytes.  I made no changes whatsoever to the source code, and used the
makefile that came in the tarball.  In checking the archives, I saw one
cryptic reference to using 'strip' but I don't really understand that
reference.  BCNU//jle

* Re: login 1.4-2 LASTLOG file mismatch
@ 2002-01-05 13:20 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-01-05 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo Joshua,

Am 2002-01-04 um 22:33 schriebst du:

Sorry, I have no idea about lastlog.

>     As a side question, when I compile Cygwin programs locally, they seem to
> be much larger than the binaries installed by setup.exe.  For example, login
> installed by setup.exe is 11,776 bytes; the login that I compiled myself is
> 44,945 bytes.  I made no changes whatsoever to the source code, and used the
> makefile that came in the tarball.  In checking the archives, I saw one
> cryptic reference to using 'strip' but I don't really understand that
> reference.  BCNU//jle

$ strip login.exe

Where could this be cryptic?

You may also try:

$ man strip

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                        mailto:gp@familiehaase.de

* Re: login 1.4-2 LASTLOG file mismatch
@ 2002-01-05 13:22 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:33:18PM -0600, Joshua wrote:
>     All,
>
>     I think I've found a small bug in the login program code versus the man
> page regarding the last login feature.  The man page indicates that the file
> necessary for storing the last login information is /var/log/lastlog, and
> this file was actually created with zero length automatically.  But the code
> references the file location as /usr/adm/lastlog, which is not created
> automatically.

Thanks for the hint.  I've uploaded a new version of login which uses
the correct /var/log/lastlog file.

>     When I created a zero length file /usr/adm/lastlog, the login program
> now shows the last login date, time, and source.  Now, after the first use
> of the /usr/adm/lastlog file, it's size grew to 3,048,420 bytes!  What's in
> that file?  Is that normal?

Weird.  Mine doesn't grow beyond 138276 bytes.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.