* 1.3.9: rsync daemon 2.5.1 broken
@ 2002-02-03 10:35 Pat
From: Pat @ 2002-02-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: mutt6YaGsJ --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 785 bytes --]

I've installed the latest cygwin 1.3.9 in order to use the rsync daemon.
I have a setup that works fine under Solaris and basic mirroring works
to my cyginw box.  However when I use the rsync "-backup" option (which tells
rsync to save copies of modified files, necessary for incremental backups)
rsync backs up all of the files every time...

When I remove the "-backup" option rsync properly transfers only the updates,
but when I use it rsycn makes a full copy of the file tree into the backup
dir every time, regardless.

So, the effect is that you can't really use rsync for incremental backups
with cygwin.

I'm using Win98se and the client is a solaris box.

I'll attach the client rsync command I use...  I believe it's just like
the example at the rsync site.

Thanks,
Pat

[-- Attachment #2: RsyncNightly.sh --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 961 bytes --]

#!/bin/sh

# Dirs to back up
# These dirs will appear in the module root dir on the backup host.
BDIRS="/home/pat/Mail /home/pat/lib"

# excludes file - this contains a wildcard pattern per line of files to exclude
EXCLUDES=/pkg/Flatland/rsync/Excludes

# the name of the backup machine
BSERVER=pcpat
#BSERVER=localhost
MODULE=FlatlandBackup
#MODULE=flatback
PORT=1236

BACKUPDIR="`date +%A`$$"

OPTS="--verbose --port $PORT --force --ignore-errors --delete-excluded
	--exclude-from=$EXCLUDES --delete --backup
	--backup-dir=/$BACKUPDIR -a"

#OPTS="--verbose --port $PORT --force --ignore-errors --delete-excluded
#	--exclude-from=$EXCLUDES --delete -a"

PATH=$PATH:/pkg/rsync

# the following line clears the last weeks incremental directory
[ -d /tmp/emptydir ] || mkdir /tmp/emptydir
#rsync --port $PORT --delete -a /tmp/emptydir/ $BSERVER::$MODULE/$BACKUPDIR/
rmdir /tmp/emptydir

# now the actual transfer
rsync $OPTS $BDIRS $BSERVER::$MODULE/Current

* Re: 1.3.9: rsync daemon 2.5.1 broken
@ 2002-02-07  9:36 ` Pat
From: Pat @ 2002-02-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 12:37:08PM -0600, Pat wrote:
> I've installed the latest cygwin 1.3.9 in order to use the rsync daemon.
> I have a setup that works fine under Solaris and basic mirroring works
> to my cyginw box.  However when I use the rsync "-backup" option (which tells
> rsync to save copies of modified files, necessary for incremental backups)
> rsync backs up all of the files every time...

I've determined that the problem is more fundamental...  Even without
the -backup behavior the cygwin rsyncd causes many many files to be
copied even whn they have not been modified.

I thought perhaps it was because Win98 would not properly preserve
ownership or permissions, so I removed those options (stopped using -a)
and specified only recursion, time stamp, and links.  I also believe that
directories are not preserved in a case sensitive way (two dirs differing
only by case cause problems for cygwin), but that is not the issue either...

Basically I think rsync under cygwin is just behaving badly.

Thanks,
Pat

* Re: 1.3.9: rsync daemon 2.5.1 broken
@ 2002-02-07 11:40   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2002-02-07 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pat; +Cc: cygwin

On Thursday 7 Feb 02, Pat writes:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 12:37:08PM -0600, Pat wrote:
> > I've installed the latest cygwin 1.3.9 in order to use the rsync daemon.
> > I have a setup that works fine under Solaris and basic mirroring works
> > to my cyginw box.  However when I use the rsync "-backup" option (which tells
> > rsync to save copies of modified files, necessary for incremental backups)
> > rsync backs up all of the files every time...
>
> I've determined that the problem is more fundamental...  Even without
> the -backup behavior the cygwin rsyncd causes many many files to be
> copied even whn they have not been modified.
>
> I thought perhaps it was because Win98 would not properly preserve
> ownership or permissions, so I removed those options (stopped using -a)
> and specified only recursion, time stamp, and links.  I also believe that
> directories are not preserved in a case sensitive way (two dirs differing
> only by case cause problems for cygwin), but that is not the issue either...

From the rsync man page:

       --modify-window
              When  comparing  two  timestamps  rsync  treats the
              timestamps as being equal if they  are  within  the
              value  of modify_window. This is normally zero, but
              you may find it useful to  set  this  to  a  larger
              value  in  some  situations.  In  particular,  when
              transferring to/from FAT filesystems  which  cannot
              represent  times  with  a  1 second resolution this
              option is useful.

Try --modify-window=2.  Let us know if that's the right solution.

> Basically I think rsync under cygwin is just behaving badly.

On Win98.  Not Cygwin's fault.

Lapo, that might be a good thing to mention in the
/usr/doc/Cygwin/rsync-<ver>.README file.

David

* Re: 1.3.9: rsync daemon 2.5.1 broken
@ 2002-02-07 13:05     ` Pat
From: Pat @ 2002-02-07 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:40:34PM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> >From the rsync man page:
>
>        --modify-window
>               When  comparing  two  timestamps  rsync  treats the
>               timestamps as being equal if they  are  within  the
>               value  of modify_window. This is normally zero, but
>               you may find it useful to  set  this  to  a  larger
>               value  in  some  situations.  In  particular,  when
>               transferring to/from FAT filesystems  which  cannot
>               represent  times  with  a  1 second resolution this
>               option is useful.
>
> Try --modify-window=2.  Let us know if that's the right solution.

These files (the ones that are being unecessarily copied) haven't changed
their mod times in months or years...  Ah, but you mean that the representation
is different on win and it can't hold the time to the same precision...
I'll give it a try...  I hadn't realized that.

> > Basically I think rsync under cygwin is just behaving badly.
>
> On Win98.  Not Cygwin's fault.

I'm sorry to be down on rsync ;)  I really want it to work but I've had lots
of issues...  When I'm done I'll write up a page on what I had to do to get
everything working and put it up somewhere for other people.

> Lapo, that might be a good thing to mention in the
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/rsync-<ver>.README file.

The only cygwin speific thing I noticed in the docs was a mention of
the option to not fork the daemon, which it says is important on cygwin.
But I didn't notice a difference.

Thanks for the quick response,
Pat Niemeyer
Author of Learning Java, O'Reilly & Associates

* Re: 1.3.9: rsync daemon 2.5.1 broken
@ 2002-02-08 12:58     ` Pat
From: Pat @ 2002-02-08 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:40:34PM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:

> >From the rsync man page:
>
>        --modify-window
>               When  comparing  two  timestamps  rsync  treats the
>               timestamps as being equal if they  are  within  the
>               value  of modify_window. This is normally zero, but
>               you may find it useful to  set  this  to  a  larger
>               value  in  some  situations.  In  particular,  when
>               transferring to/from FAT filesystems  which  cannot
>               represent  times  with  a  1 second resolution this
>               option is useful.
>
> Try --modify-window=2.  Let us know if that's the right solution.

I have done the following:

- Added -modify-window=10 (also tried 2) to both the client and server process.
- Limited attributes to only time (no owner, group, etc.)
- run the cygwin daemon with --no-detach

I also found all instances of directories who's names differed only by
case and removed them.

Still... rsync copies files for no apparent reason.  I cannot understand it.
Some of the files seem to appear repeatedly, but I believe some are new each
time.

Here is the tail of an example output, the second time in a row that it ran:

  wrote 63568758 bytes  read 100388 bytes  67769.18 bytes/sec
  total size is 6100714293  speedup is 95.82
  rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(576)

I don't know if the error holds a clue.  It seemed to complete ok.

Again, I'm using the latest rsync, copying from Solaris to Win98se with
the latest cygwin.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pat