* Quick question, please help!
@ 2002-02-09 19:23 Simara
From: Simara @ 2002-02-09 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher,

I've read your posts about Interix, and I know you are not happy about it,
but here comes the ugly question again:

How could I compile or use Xfree with Interix, I sure would use cygwin but
my boss really digs Interix because it is not emulated, and our tests with
most ported apps is really faster than using interix (way fast), please
help! or they will start coding the apps in visual basic!!!! and our current
linux boxes will have to be migrated to windows...

Thanks and sorry for the ugly question.

Alex

* Re: Quick question, please help!
@ 2002-02-09 19:37 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-09 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simara; +Cc: cygwin

Simara wrote:

> Christopher,

Why are you writing directly to Chris?  This is a public mailing list.

> I've read your posts about Interix, and I know you are not happy about it,
> but here comes the ugly question again:
>
> How could I compile or use Xfree with Interix,

This is a public mailing list for non-xfree cygwin related topics.
Xfree questions do not belong here.  Interix questions do NOT belong
here, unless they somehow relate to cygwin.

> I sure would use cygwin but
> my boss really digs Interix because it is not emulated, and our tests with
> most ported apps is really faster than using interix (way fast), please
> help! or they will start coding the apps in visual basic!!!! and our current
> linux boxes will have to be migrated to windows...

Let me see if I understand: You say "interix is better than cygwin, and
you must use interix regardless, because your boss likes it."  So you
want OUR help to get your code working with a DIFFERENT product?  Why
should we?

Please see http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html to
understand the motivations behind the coders on public mailing lists.
Then ask yourself, given that information, why subscribers to *this*
mailing list would assist you.

On the cygwin-xfree list, you *could* pose this question as "Can
cygwin-xfree work with the interix runtime instead of cygwin?"  The
answer is probably no without significant work, but at least the
question would be (sortof) ontopic there.  It is totally offtopic here.

--Chuck

* Re: Quick question, please help!
@ 2002-02-09 19:52 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-09 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:23:01PM -0500, Simara wrote:
>Christopher,
>
>I've read your posts about Interix, and I know you are not happy about it,
>but here comes the ugly question again:
>
>How could I compile or use Xfree with Interix, I sure would use cygwin but
>my boss really digs Interix because it is not emulated, and our tests with
>most ported apps is really faster than using interix (way fast), please
>help! or they will start coding the apps in visual basic!!!! and our current
>linux boxes will have to be migrated to windows...
>
>Thanks and sorry for the ugly question.

I don't know what the question is.  Interix *is* faster than cygwin.  Interix
has some limitations, though.  If you read past discussions you probably know
what they are.

cgf

* Re: Quick question, please help!
@ 2002-02-09 20:03   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-09 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: simara

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:52:52PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:23:01PM -0500, Simara wrote:
>>I've read your posts about Interix, and I know you are not happy about
>>it, but here comes the ugly question again:
>>
>>How could I compile or use Xfree with Interix, I sure would use cygwin
>>but my boss really digs Interix because it is not emulated, and our
>>tests with most ported apps is really faster than using interix (way
>>fast), please help! or they will start coding the apps in visual
>>basic!!!! and our current linux boxes will have to be migrated to
>>windows...
>>
>>Thanks and sorry for the ugly question.
>
>I don't know what the question is.  Interix *is* faster than cygwin.
>Interix has some limitations, though.  If you read past discussions you
>probably know what they are.

Oh.  Sorry.  I didn't pay as much attention as I should have.  I thought
this was a normal vague clueless "question".  Instead, it was not just
clueless but *remarkably* pushy.

Chuck's response is correct of course.  I do disagree slightly with
Chuck's suggestion to move this to the xfree mailing list.

This is off-topic for any cygwin mailing list.  You're on your own.
Please don't bother the cygwin mailing lists with this type of question
again.

For the record, I'm not really happy or unhappy about Interix.
Discussions of how to get things working under Interix are just
off-topic.  I don't know anything about Interix beyond the high level
stuff.  And, again, discussing ways to get things working with Interix
is very obviously off-topic.

And, all of you who are now poised to send off a missive informing me of
various ways that mentioning Interix could conceivably be on-topic --
please don't bother.  I don't need educating on the subject.

cgf

* Re: Quick question, please help!
@ 2002-02-09 23:14     ` Simara
From: Simara @ 2002-02-09 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Please forgive me all, my mistake to write to the mailing list alias instead
of Christopher directly. Also forgive me for bringing up a way off-topic to
the list.

Let me shot a different question: Are there plans to make Cygwin a windows
Subsystem?

I truly like Cygwin, I'm sorry If I bothered the list.

Thanks a lot,

Alex

@ 2002-02-09 23:18       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-09 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: simara

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 02:14:43AM -0500, Simara wrote:
>Please forgive me all, my mistake to write to the mailing list alias instead
>of Christopher directly. Also forgive me for bringing up a way off-topic to
>the list.

Asking me personally for help with a competing product would be just as
"off-topic".

>Let me shot a different question: Are there plans to make Cygwin a windows
>Subsystem?

No.  That would be completely counter to the whole philosophy of Cygwin.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .