* bash 2.05a command completion spec bug
@ 2002-02-12  6:34 Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-02-12  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Command completion specs causes bash 2.05a specifically *and* Cygwin
in general to behave "poorly."  By "poorly," I mean that bash becomes
unusable after attempting command completion and Cygwin cannot start
new processes:

$ ps
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** mount table size version mismatch detected - 0x11/0x4068.
You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.
5895398 [main] bash 1648 sync_with_child: child 1560(0x1D4) died before initialization with status code 0x1
5901389 [main] bash 1648 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

After killing all Cygwin processes, the above problem is cleared.

The problem can be reproduced by the following:

    $ # save the attachment as spec.sh
    $ . spec.sh
    $ cvs stat<TAB>
    $ # try typing some more characters

The above procedure worked fine under bash 2.05-8.

This problem seems to be reminiscent of a previous bash bug that
I reported:

Is Cygwin bash 2.05a missing any patches?

Thanks,
Jason

[-- Attachment #2: spec.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-sh, Size: 482 bytes --]

* Re: bash 2.05a command completion spec bug
@ 2002-02-12  8:29 ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-02-12  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler, Cygwin

> Command completion specs causes bash 2.05a specifically *and* Cygwin
> in general to behave "poorly."  By "poorly," I mean that bash becomes
> unusable after attempting command completion and Cygwin cannot start
> new processes:
>
> $ ps
> C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** mount table size version mismatch detected -
0x11/0x4068.
> You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
> Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
> and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
> reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
> installed the cygwin distribution.

Could you have a development version of cygwin1.dll somewhere in $PATH?

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htm

* Re: bash 2.05a command completion spec bug
@ 2002-02-12  9:28   ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-02-12  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael A Chase; +Cc: Cygwin

Michael,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:26:55AM -0800, Michael A Chase wrote:
> Could you have a development version of cygwin1.dll somewhere in $PATH?

Nope:

    $ which -a cygwin1.dll
    /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

A Windows search comes up empty too.

Like I said in my previous post, the Cygwin problem is corrected when
all processes have exited.

Actually, I only noticed the Cygwin problem when I was writing up the
bash problem.  Nevertheless, bash 2.05a (at least the Cygwin version)
has issues with command completion specs.

Jason

* Re: bash 2.05a command completion spec bug
@ 2002-02-12 18:25 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:29:28AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Command completion specs causes bash 2.05a specifically *and* Cygwin
>in general to behave "poorly."  By "poorly," I mean that bash becomes
>unusable after attempting command completion and Cygwin cannot start
>new processes:
>
>$ ps
>C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** mount table size version mismatch detected - 0x11/0x4068.
>You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
>Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
>and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
>reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
>installed the cygwin distribution.
>5895398 [main] bash 1648 sync_with_child: child 1560(0x1D4) died before initialization with status code 0x1
>5901389 [main] bash 1648 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
>bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>After killing all Cygwin processes, the above problem is cleared.

Sounds like a *bad* problem with a wild pointer in bash.

Anyone interested in tracking this down with gdb?  I know that Corinna
is sort of swamped right now.

cgf

* Re: bash 2.05a command completion spec bug
@ 2002-02-12 19:10   ` David Gluss
From: David Gluss @ 2002-02-12 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What's a command completion spec?  Given a simple testcase,
I could look into it.
DG

@ 2002-02-12 19:14     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 07:09:53PM -0800, David Gluss wrote:
>What's a command completion spec?  Given a simple testcase, I could
>look into it.

Jason included everything you need to duplicate the problem in his