* Help changing dir with spaces...
@ 2002-02-27 10:01 Jonathan Gift
From: Jonathan Gift @ 2002-02-27 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm very familiar with Linux and new to Cywin, but one of my first
priorities is to mobe around the Bash shell. The only really pressing matter
is how to move to the folders under WXP: C:\Documents and settings

I can move to C:\Work or C:\tmp but anything with spaces it balks at. Since
I can't change XP's default, is there a way to get Bash to accept the space?

Thanks.

Jonathan

* Re: Help changing dir with spaces...
@ 2002-02-27 11:06 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-27 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Gift, cygwin

At 12:56 PM 2/27/2002, Jonathan Gift wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm very familiar with Linux and new to Cywin, but one of my first
>priorities is to mobe around the Bash shell. The only really pressing matter
>is how to move to the folders under WXP: C:\Documents and settings
>
>I can move to C:\Work or C:\tmp but anything with spaces it balks at. Since
>I can't change XP's default, is there a way to get Bash to accept the space?

I'm not sure I agree with your supposition that there isn't a way to change
XP's defaults here but that's irrelevant.  You need to escape the spaces to
make it work for bash.  Use '\' before the space or quote the whole path
like you'd have to do using cmd.exe.

* Re: Help changing dir with spaces...
@ 2002-02-27 11:19 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2002-02-27 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.gift; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:56:28 +0100, Jonathan Gift <j.gift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I'm very familiar with Linux and new to Cywin, but one of my first
> priorities is to mobe around the Bash shell. The only really pressing matter
> is how to move to the folders under WXP: C:\Documents and settings
>
> I can move to C:\Work or C:\tmp but anything with spaces it balks at. Since
> I can't change XP's default, is there a way to get Bash to accept the space?

Bash on Cygwin works exactly as Bash on GNU/Linux. If you are "very
familiar with Linux", you should know that you have several options.
1. You can escape the space by using backslash, i.e. do
       cd /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ settings
2. You can use wildcard - cd /cygdrive/c/Documents*settings
       or  cd /cygdrive/c/Documents?and?settings
3. You can quote the full directory name, i.e. do
       cd "/cygdrive/c/Documents and settings"
4. You can use the Bash name completion mechanism -
       type:  cd /cygdrive/c/Documen  and TAB
  play with it and learn how it work.

Ehud.
P.S. I saw Larry's email, but I couldn't resist myself.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Help changing dir with spaces- Uncle!
@ 2002-02-27 12:16   ` Jonathan Gift
From: Jonathan Gift @ 2002-02-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Bash on Cygwin works exactly as Bash on GNU/Linux. If you are "very
> familiar with Linux", you should know that you have several options.

Thanks all for the help. The few that knocked me for putting in the "very
familiar" are right. It's just been a while since I was on Linux and it's
amazing how much I forgot. Ok, I've got to get the books back out. I'm back
in humble newbie mode...

BTW, just how cool is Cygwin? First I heard of it was just a short time ago.
Really like having a great shell again?

Jonathan

* Re: Help changing dir with spaces- Uncle!
@ 2002-02-27 12:32     ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2002-02-27 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.gift; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:19:42 +0100, Jonathan Gift <j.gift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> BTW, just how cool is Cygwin? First I heard of it was just a short time ago.
> Really like having a great shell again?

Cygwin is "cool"! I'm using it for more than 2 years and it made
my life much easier on M$Windows front. I port programs from UNIX
in a matter of minuets and I can use (almost) all the GNU tools.

We must all thank the small Cygwin team and the few long time
volunteers who help them.

Ehud.

--

@ 2002-02-27 12:34   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-27 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ehud, j.gift; +Cc: cygwin

At 02:06 PM 2/27/2002, Ehud Karni wrote:
>Ehud.
>P.S. I saw Larry's email, but I couldn't resist myself.

The more the merrier! ;-)

It's actually worthwhile to have someone enumerate all the possible options
like you did.  You're to be commended for your lack of restraint.  ;-)

* RE: Help changing dir with spaces- Uncle!
@ 2002-02-27 14:28 Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 2002-02-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Ehud Karni [mailto:ehud@unix.simonwiesel.co.il]
>
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:19:42 +0100, Jonathan Gift
> <j.gift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > BTW, just how cool is Cygwin? First I heard of it was just
> a short time ago.
> > Really like having a great shell again?
>
> Cygwin is "cool"! I'm using it for more than 2 years and it made
> my life much easier on M$Windows front. I port programs from UNIX
> in a matter of minuets

Yes, it really helps us waltz through the development process,
without making a song and dance about it.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. :-) )