* sshd
@ 2002-03-02 13:23 Erik Vigmostad
From: Erik Vigmostad @ 2002-03-02 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have run ssh-host-config (trying to run sshd) and when it finishes, it
says "cygrunsrv: not found".  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Erik Vigmostad

* Re: sshd
@ 2002-03-04  8:37 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0203041454130.9651-100000@garfield.cs.mun.ca >
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-03-04  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik, cygwin

At 04:23 PM 3/2/2002, Erik Vigmostad wrote:
>I have run ssh-host-config (trying to run sshd) and when it finishes, it
>says "cygrunsrv: not found".  Am I missing something?

Yes, cygrunsrv.  See

http://cygwin.com/packages/

This is the standard answer for 'Where is utility X?'  Once you've determined
the package which contains the utility you need, rerun setup and install or
upgrade the package containing that utility.  It's as easy as that! :-)

* sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-04 10:27   ` Neil Zanella
                       ` (3 more replies)
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0203041454130.9651-100000@garfield.cs.mun.ca >
From: Neil Zanella @ 2002-03-04 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: erik, cygwin

Hello,

I see people are setting up sshd on their cygwin environments.
Does this mean it is actually possible to ssh to a windows box
and get a cygwin terminal from a remote host??? If not then
why are people setting up sshd?

Thanks,

Neil

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0203041454130.9651-100000@garfield.cs.mun.ca >
@ 2002-03-04 10:34     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-03-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Zanella; +Cc: erik, cygwin

At 01:26 PM 3/4/2002, Neil Zanella wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I see people are setting up sshd on their cygwin environments.
>Does this mean it is actually possible to ssh to a windows box
>and get a cygwin terminal from a remote host???

Certainly.

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-04 10:44     ` Michael F. March
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael F. March @ 2002-03-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Using SSHd is great way to tunnel TCP traffic to and from
your Windows box..

> I see people are setting up sshd on their cygwin environments.
> Does this mean it is actually possible to ssh to a windows box
> and get a cygwin terminal from a remote host??? If not then
> why are people setting up sshd?

* RE: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-04 11:01     ` Erik Vigmostad
From: Erik Vigmostad @ 2002-03-04 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Zanella, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: erik, cygwin

I successfully set it up on Saturday.  Can SSH to my home Windows computer
from my office Linux box or Windows box.  I love it!  CYGWIN is great!

------------------------------
Erik Vigmostad
Vice President Technology
ArtSelect, Inc.
300 West Lowe Avenue
Fairfield, IA  52556
voice:  641-472-1495 ext. 123
  fax:  641-472-9721
> I see people are setting up sshd on their cygwin environments.
> Does this mean it is actually possible to ssh to a windows box
> and get a cygwin terminal from a remote host??? If not then
> why are people setting up sshd?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-04 11:11     ` Jason Diamond
From: Jason Diamond @ 2002-03-04 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I see people are setting up sshd on their cygwin environments.
> Does this mean it is actually possible to ssh to a windows box
> and get a cygwin terminal from a remote host??? If not then
> why are people setting up sshd?

Yes, you can ssh into your Windows box and get a bash shell. I also use it
to make my Windows box a secure cvs server. I love it.

Jason

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-04 11:37       ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2002-03-04 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin

It's a pity that you can tunnel only using sshd in "single user" (i.e. runing
it as your user and not as "system")... it's useful to have complete graphical
access using www.ThightVNC.com =)

BTW: Corinna is this accurate? is that patch with semi-authentication to have
TCP access from system user already in?

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-04 15:38     ` Bob George
From: Bob George @ 2002-03-04 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Neil Zanella" <nzanella@cs.mun.ca> wrote:

> I see people are setting up sshd on their cygwin environments.
> Does this mean it is actually possible to ssh to a windows box
> and get a cygwin terminal from a remote host??? If not then
> why are people setting up sshd?

A few folks have already commented on the usefulness of ssh for shell access
to a Windows box. Let me add to that and say that other sshd functionality
also works quite well. I'm able to run a script to ssh to my Windows 2000
notebook and do an automated nightly backup from a Linux system using
forced-command logins.

scp also works as expected, allowing quick retrieval of files regardless of
the platform I happen to be working at.

I set up Cygwin expressly for the purpose of using sshd for exactly this
sort of thing, and I've been delighted at the results.

- Bob

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-05  1:18         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-03-05  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:25:22PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> It's a pity that you can tunnel only using sshd in "single user" (i.e. runing
> it as your user and not as "system")... it's useful to have complete graphical
> access using www.ThightVNC.com =)
>
> BTW: Corinna is this accurate? is that patch with semi-authentication to have
> TCP access from system user already in?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're talking about.  sshd is
typically running as system and you can authenticate using any
account, even system.  You can run an interactive session as user
system.  It's obviously no problem to have a tunnel running under
system account then...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-05  2:39           ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2002-03-05  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

> Sorry, but I don't understand what you're talking about.  sshd is
> typically running as system and you can authenticate using any
> account, even system.  You can run an interactive session as user
> system.  It's obviously no problem to have a tunnel running under
> system account then...

I think I made a mess in my head between access to network drives (from system
account), access network itselòf (i.e. to open a tunnel) and authenticating without
password ^_^
(btw: the semi-auth regarded authenticating with key... did you do any improvement?
did I dream also that one? my memory is a bit... unreliable ^^)

--

@ 2002-03-05  2:57             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-03-05  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:37:54AM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> > Sorry, but I don't understand what you're talking about.  sshd is
> > typically running as system and you can authenticate using any
> > account, even system.  You can run an interactive session as user
> > system.  It's obviously no problem to have a tunnel running under
> > system account then...
>
> I think I made a mess in my head between access to network drives (from system
> account), access network itselòf (i.e. to open a tunnel) and authenticating without
> password ^_^
> (btw: the semi-auth regarded authenticating with key... did you do any improvement?

What is "semi-auth regarded authenticating with key"???

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-05  3:54               ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2002-03-05  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

> > (btw: the semi-auth regarded authenticating with key... did you do any improvement?
> What is "semi-auth regarded authenticating with key"???

If only I could find that message ^_^
My memory is indeed unreliable...

GOT IT!
It was sub-auth and not semi-auth =)

@ 2002-03-05  4:49                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-03-05  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:30:17PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> > > (btw: the semi-auth regarded authenticating with key... did you do any improvement?
> > What is "semi-auth regarded authenticating with key"???
>
> If only I could find that message ^_^
> My memory is indeed unreliable...
>
> GOT IT!
> It was sub-auth and not semi-auth =)

This is fairly old.  A part of the cygwin source tree is a
subauthentication module but it only works on W2K.  It wouldn't
really help either since the token created suffers from the
same restrictions as the token created by the current method
using the NtCreateToken() call.

Just for clearness... you already know that you can use public key
authentication with sshd, don't you?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-05  6:49                   ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2002-03-05  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

> Just for clearness... you already know that you can use public key
> authentication with sshd, don't you?

I quite tought (and that were true at least at the time of that message) that pubkey auth
worked only if daemon was started with the right user rights, but not starting it as system.

Am I wrong? Is that already "in"?
It seems that with -vv I always get "Server refused our key."

--

@ 2002-03-05  7:19                     ` Hack Kampbjørn
From: Hack Kampbjørn @ 2002-03-05  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> > Just for clearness... you already know that you can use public key
> > authentication with sshd, don't you?
>
> I quite tought (and that were true at least at the time of that message) that pubkey auth
> worked only if daemon was started with the right user rights, but not starting it as system.
>
> Am I wrong? Is that already "in"?
> It seems that with -vv I always get "Server refused our key."

Yes, that's already in! And it's been discussed several times here on
the list.
Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-3.0.2p1-5.README for the details  8-)

> --
> Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
> lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)
> http://www.lapo.it (ICQ UIN: 529796)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn

* Re: sshd useful on cygwin???
@ 2002-03-05  8:04                       ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2002-03-05  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > Am I wrong? Is that already "in"?
> > It seems that with -vv I always get "Server refused our key."
> Yes, that's already in! And it's been discussed several times here on the list.
> Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-3.0.2p1-5.README for the details  8-)

GULP... since 1.3.2... well.. I must be COMPLETELY BLIND or something.
I wonder why I get the "Server refused our key." error though...
I'll do some tests.