* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin Package: fetchmail-5.9.11-3
@ 2002-05-28 13:54 Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-05-28 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

New News:
=== ====
I have updated the version of fetchmail to 5.9.11-3.  The tarballs should
be available on a Cygwin mirror near you shortly.

This version of fetchmail is identical to 5.9.11-1 except that my Winsock
recv/WSARecv(..., MSG_PEEK) patch is applied to both the non-SSL *and*
SSL #ifdef code sections.  I would like to thank Pete McCann for pointing
out the error of my ways.

!!! WARNING !!! !!! DANGER !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! DANGER !!!
If you are using Cygwin fetchmail 5.9.11-1 without SSL, then your email
is subject to corruption.  See the following mail thread for details:

Please update to Cygwin fetchmail 5.9.11-3 ASAP.  I apologize for
any inconvenience caused by this oversight.  Shame on me for enabling
fetchmail's SSL support without retesting.  I was just trying to be a
"nice" guy.  Sigh...
!!! WARNING !!! !!! DANGER !!! !!! WARNING !!! !!! DANGER !!!

Old News:
=== ====
Fetchmail is a remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility intended
for use over on-demand TCP/IP links, like SLIP or PPP connections.
Fetchmail supports every remote-mail protocol currently in use on the
Internet (POP2, POP3, RPOP, APOP, KPOP, all IMAPs, ESMTP ETRN, IPv6,
and IPSEC) for retrieval. Then Fetchmail forwards the mail through SMTP
so you can read it through your favorite mail client.

See the fetchmail home page for more details:

    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/

Please read the README file:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-5.9.11.README

since it covers requirements, installation, known issues, etc.

I would like to thank Madoka Machitani for his pre-compiled fetchmail
and procmail binaries and for the patches necessary for proper operation
under Windows 9x/Me.  His work on the Cygwin ports made it much easier
for me to become the Cygwin maintainer.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

In the US,
ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
is a reliable high bandwidth connection.

In Germany,
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/
is usually pretty good.

In the UK,
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
is usually up-to-date within 48 hours.

If one of the above doesn't have the latest version of this package
then you can either wait for the site to be updated or find another
mirror.

The setup.exe program will figure out what needs to be updated on your
system and will install newer packages automatically.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: cygwin@cygwin.com .  I would appreciate if you would
use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly.  This includes
ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question, the Cygwin mailing list
is the appropriate place.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

Jason

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin Package: fetchmail-5.9.11-3
@ 2002-06-04 14:43 ` Jason Tishler
       [not found]   ` <3CFDD1A0.2090600@wanadoo.fr>
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-06-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete McCann; +Cc: cygwin

Pete,

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:21:23PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> I have updated the version of fetchmail to 5.9.11-3.

Have you had a chance to try fetchmail 5.9.11-3?  If so, does it solve
your corruption problem?

Thanks,

@ 2002-06-05  5:35     ` Jason Tishler
       [not found]       ` <3CFEF462.6000209@wanadoo.fr>
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-06-05  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Chantreux; +Cc: Cygwin

Marc,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:53:52AM +0200, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> I've just tested ... still have corrupted files ...
> :(

Some more details than the above would be helpful:

    o Windows version
    o cygcheck output
    o etc.

Also, please run fetchmail with the --verbose option.  Do you see
any of the following messages:

    Cygwin socket read retry
    Cygwin socket read retry failed!

in your fetchmail log file?

@ 2002-06-05 20:31   ` Pete McCann
From: Pete McCann @ 2002-06-05 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler; +Cc: cygwin

Hi, Jason,

This version seems to work ok (at least it worked for a 2M attachment
that I sent to myself just now).  I will post again if I see a
recurrence of the problem.

Yes, I had gotten the source code for 5.9.11-1 from a cygwin mirror,
not the fetchmail homepage.  Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks for your efforts maintaining this critical piece of software.

-Pete

@ 2002-06-06  7:02     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-06-06  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Pete,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 09:54:49PM -0500, Pete McCann wrote:
> This version seems to work ok (at least it worked for a 2M attachment
> that I sent to myself just now).

Thanks for the status.  If you would like to verify that the Winsock
workaround code is actually being triggered, then just run fetchmail
with the --verbose option.  You should see many of the following
messages in your fetchmail logfile:

    Cygwin socket read retry

> I will post again if I see a recurrence of the problem.

Please do.

> Yes, I had gotten the source code for 5.9.11-1 from a cygwin mirror,
> not the fetchmail homepage.  Sorry about the confusion.

No problem.

> Thanks for your efforts maintaining this critical piece of software.

You are very welcome.  Since I use Cygwin fetchmail at both work and
home, I'm not doing much more than what I would have to do to maintain
the package privately.

BTW, I use Cygwin fetchmail at work to avoid the Outlook/Exchange thing
myself.  There are some known MS Exchange issues that you should know
about:

    o POP3/IMAP access can truncate messages:

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296869

    o attachments (e.g., PDF) can be incorrectly encoded so that some
      mail clients (e.g., mutt) will not be able to decode them:

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q178241
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q182307

I worked around the above by adding a rule in Outlook to copy all new
messages to a "copy" folder and then instructing fetchmail to retrieve
the messages from this folder instead.  In this way, I can always get
back the original message, if necessary.  Additionally, I configured
AutoArchive to remove "old" messages from the Inbox so I don't
eventually exceed our corporate maximum disk space usage policy.

@ 2002-06-06  7:10         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-06-06  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Chantreux; +Cc: Cygwin

Marc,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 07:34:26AM +0200, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> >Some more details than the above would be helpful:
> >
> Sorry Jason ,
>
> The details
>
> >   o Windows version
> >
> W2K 5.00.2195 SP2
> CYGWIN_NT-5.0 MILLENIUM 1.3.10(0.51/3/2)

OK, you are using Windows 2000.

> >   o cygcheck output
> >
> well ... i don't know what do you need here , so i give you all :
>
> cygcheck -csvr
>
> [snip]
>
> fetchmail           5.9.11-3

OK, you are using the right fetchmail package.

> [snip]
>
> c:\_home                                    /home
> user    textmode
> c:\usr\gvim\vimfiles                        /home/mc/.vim
> user    textmode
> C:                                          /mnt/c
> user    textmode
> .                                           /cygdrive
> user    binmode,noumount
> C:\usr\cygwin\root                          /
> system  binmode
> C:\usr\cygwin\root/bin                      /usr/bin
> system  binmode
> C:\usr\cygwin\root/lib                      /usr/lib
> system  binmode
> C:\usr\cygwin\root\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> system  binmode
> .                                           /cygdrive
> user    binmode,noumount

You have some textmode mounts.  Maybe your corruption is due to the
perennial text vs. binary mode issue.  Please try again with *only*
binary mounts.  Does this fix the problem?

> [snip]
>
> >   o etc.
> >
> something else ?

Are you using SSL?  Or, anything else unusual?

> >Also, please run fetchmail with the --verbose option.  Do you see
> >any of the following messages:
> >
> >   Cygwin socket read retry
> >   Cygwin socket read retry failed!
> >
> >in your fetchmail log file?
> >
> no log in /var/log :(

Do you have a "set logfile xyz" in your ~/.fetchmailrc file?  If so,
then check xyz for the above messages.  If not, then add the following:

    set logfile /var/log/fetchmail.log

and then check /var/log/fetchmail.log.  Do you see any of the above
messages?

@ 2002-06-06  7:32           ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-06  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Jason schrieb:

>>>in your fetchmail log file?

>> no log in /var/log :(

> Do you have a "set logfile xyz" in your ~/.fetchmailrc file?  If so,
> then check xyz for the above messages.  If not, then add the following:

I never have 'set logfile' defined and it is always written to
/var/log/fetchmail.log, this is the default.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin Package: fetchmail-5.9.11-3
@ 2002-06-11  3:11           ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2002-06-11  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Cygwin

Hi Jason,

Sorry for late answer ... i was so busy :(

>>c:\_home                                    /home
>>user    textmode
>>c:\usr\gvim\vimfiles                        /home/mc/.vim
>>user    textmode
>>C:                                          /mnt/c
>>user    textmode
>>.                                           /cygdrive
>>user    binmode,noumount
>>C:\usr\cygwin\root                          /
>>system  binmode
>>C:\usr\cygwin\root/bin                      /usr/bin
>>system  binmode
>>C:\usr\cygwin\root/lib                      /usr/lib
>>system  binmode
>>C:\usr\cygwin\root\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
>>system  binmode
>>.                                           /cygdrive
>>user    binmode,noumount
>>

>You have some textmode mounts.  Maybe your corruption is due to the
>perennial text vs. binary mode issue.  Please try again with *only*
>binary mounts.  Does this fix the problem?

ok, that's my new mount :

C:\usr\cygwin\root\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
type system (binmode)
C:\usr\cygwin\root\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\usr\cygwin\root\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
c:\usr\gvim\vimfiles on /home/mc/.vim type user (binmode)
C:\usr\cygwin\root on / type system (binmode)
c:\_home on /home type user (binmode)
c: on /mnt/c type user (binmode)

boxes are still corrupted. Do you want me to send you a corrupted box ?

>Are you using SSL?  Or, anything else unusual?

no.

>>no log in /var/log :(
>>

>Do you have a "set logfile xyz" in your ~/.fetchmailrc file?  If so,
>then check xyz for the above messages.  If not, then add the following:
>
>    set logfile /var/log/fetchmail.log
>
>and then check /var/log/fetchmail.log.  Do you see any of the above
>messages?

still no log file :(

Regards
Marc

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin Package: fetchmail-5.9.11-3
@ 2002-06-11  8:11             ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-06-11  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Marc,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 09:52:44AM +0200, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> boxes are still corrupted. Do you want me to send you a corrupted box ?

OK, send me a (small) mbox via private email.  Also, please post your
fetchmailrc with passwords, etc. removed.

> >Are you using SSL?  Or, anything else unusual?
> >
> no.

Good, I've never tested SSL.

> >and then check /var/log/fetchmail.log.  Do you see any of the above
> >messages?
> >
> still no log file :(

If you want to get solve this problem, then you really need to get
logging working.

Jason