* Re: Apache 1.3.22 on cygwin under XP - loosing data
       [not found] <000501c20556$c66b43c0$bd7ba8c0@q6f3d6>
@ 2002-05-28  2:32 ` Paul McFerrin
From: Paul McFerrin @ 2002-05-28  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Dixon, cygwin

Nice thought...  I did verify that all of the mounts are binmode mounts.

I saved one of the bad images that the browser downloaded and compared it with the original
file on disk.  Here is what I've observed....
	- The two files (good & bad) were identical in size!
	- The bad file did contain some \n and \r but there were not adjacent.

I did a "cmp good_file bad_file" and here is a partial output:
 32769 172   0
 32771 377 341
 32772   0 303
 32773 274   0
 32774 333   0
 32775 234 342
 32776 204 303
 32777  50  22
 32778 262   0
 32779   7   0
 32780 146   0
 32781  41 265

As you can see, it is NOT a cr/nl problem.  It looks like bits are getting dropped.  Another
thing to note, I can purge my cache and reload the page.  The reloaded page is still screwey
but NOT in an identical fashion.  If it was a cr/nl problem, I would expect it to be
reproducable.

-paul mcferrin

@ 2002-05-28  4:01   ` djnews
       [not found]     ` <3CF2FD22.D8A5D3B9@insight.rr.com>
From: djnews @ 2002-05-28  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pmcferrin, cygwin

I agree with what you found.  I now can get it to fail on plain html text as
well.
It usually starts to corrupt bits at around the 32K point.  I can pull up
hundreds
of thumbnails (~10-20K) without a problem. Out of hundreds of bigger
jpgs, 100% of the bad ones are >32K and 100% of the bad ones are <40K
(but it is not a clean break at 32K).  Also, text htmls go bad around the
same
point.  I have actually gotten it to pick up what looks like data from
another
file on disk!  I have seen that behavior 3 or 4 times.

I have tried the httpd binary that came with the cygwin distribution as well
as the build you can link to on the "Software" page.  They both fail.
I know they are the same revision (Apache/1.3.24 (cygwin)) but they are
wildly differrent sizes so I figured I'd try them both.

I have not yet download the win32 build at apache.org but I might try
that next.

-dan

       [not found]       ` <000701c206dc$f66a7960$bd7ba8c0@q6f3d6>
@ 2002-05-29  8:46         ` Paul McFerrin
From: Paul McFerrin @ 2002-05-29  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djnews, cygwin

Dan:

I had to rebase everything manually myself.  Without the rebase, the httpd processes could
not even complete a fork!  The arguments that I used were the same used by someone else for
a different application and not specificially Apache.

I've asked someone to shed some light on educating me on just what those arguments mean so I
don't have to be in the dark on this subject.  Heck I really don't know if they are suitable
for Apache.

I too would like to get this issue resolved.  Jason are you listening?

-paul mcferrin

@ 2002-05-29 10:16           ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-05-29 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Paul,

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:32:13AM -0400, Paul McFerrin wrote:
> I had to rebase everything manually myself.  Without the rebase, the
> httpd processes could not even complete a fork!

The above is a well known issue that affects other Cygwin applications
such as Python too.

> The arguments that I used were the same used by someone else for a
> different application and not specificially Apache.

The above is correct.

> I've asked someone to shed some light on educating me on just what
> those arguments mean so I don't have to be in the dark on this subject.

The options to my rebase tool:

    $ rebase
    usage: rebase -b BaseAddress [-d] [-o Offset] ImageFileName ...

have the same semantics as the ones supported by MS's tool:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tools/perfutil_2z39.asp

I added the "-o Offset" option to spread out the base address by an
extra Offset amount because packing the DLLs "too close" can Cygwin's
fork() to still fail.

> Heck I really don't know if they are suitable for Apache.

Rebasing is suitable for all Cygwin apps that suffer from the DLL base
address conflict fork() issue.  Unfortunately, some DLLs do not survive
the rebase process.  It is yet to be determined why.  Want to help
figure this out?

> I too would like to get this issue resolved.

Me too.  The rebase functionality will ultimately be integrated into
Cygwin's setup.exe.

> Jason are you listening?

Yes.  Hmm...

Jason