* suggestion/rant re: install method
@ 2002-05-29 10:38 Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies)
From: Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies) @ 2002-05-29 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I just tried to download and install cygwin - and I have to say the install
is highly frustrating.

While I understand the motivation for the granular installer, I think that
you should still provide the option of a monolithic download.  Unfortunatly
many of the "mirrors" that I had to chose from only mirrored a subset of the
modules that I needed to download for my full install.

I don't know how many times I had to deal with dialogs telling me "download
failed" and then choose a different mirror only to be told "the server has
an older version of setup.ini than the one you were using, continue ?",
forcing me to go through the installer over and over and over till finally I
now have a cygwin install that is about 80% functional, and I have to go
back over it and find all the pieces that didn't come down.

One thing that you guys may not have considered is that the current
"internet-only" method is unsuitable for classified environments.  I have
worked (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) in a "secure" environment which
does not allow a live connection to the internet.  In that sort of
environment we are allowed to stick CDs into the machine to install
software, but downloading is expressly prohibited.

By refusing to provide a "monolithic install" option that users such as
myself can download and burn to CD to be used on non-networked machines, you
have essentially made cygwin a non-option for us.

And please, any comments such "just plug it in for the download - a firewall
is more than adequate protection" are worthless - those of use that do
government work deal with beaurocrats, not reasonable technically compentent
human beings.

Just an example - at my last government job I was not allowed to bring a
CD-RW into the lab even though all the machines had _only_ CDROM drives. (
yes, you read that correctly, read only drives NOT a writeable ones ).

I'm also concerned about the wasted bandwith and the delays induced by
downloading.

I have a stack of CDs that I have burned with the tools that I normally
download such as gcc, xemacs, jdk, etc.  I use these whenever I setup a new
machine.  It seems that downloading 200-300M worth of stuff per machine is
ludicrous - especially if you are going to configure 20-50 developer
workstations, which I have had to do.  Seems like an excessive drain on your
mirror sites, and the internet in general.

Alfonso.

* Re: suggestion/rant re: install method
@ 2002-05-29 11:43 ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-05-29 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

Alfonso, et al --

...and then Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies) said...
%
% I just tried to download and install cygwin - and I have to say the install
% is highly frustrating.

I must admit that I know what you mean.

%
% While I understand the motivation for the granular installer, I think that
% you should still provide the option of a monolithic download.  Unfortunatly
% many of the "mirrors" that I had to chose from only mirrored a subset of the
% modules that I needed to download for my full install.

I don't feel a need to go back to a monolithic download, but keeping
mirrors up to date really is a challenge.  I don't know enough about the
setup to suggest a fix, but (here I go anyway :-) something like always
getting the setup.ini file from the canonical master and then somehow
comparing it with what the mirror has could let you know in advance that
such-and-such will be missing or downrevved so that you could choose
another mirror if you cared would be a nice touch.

%
% One thing that you guys may not have considered is that the current
% "internet-only" method is unsuitable for classified environments.  I have

Actually, while from the 'net is the preferred ('cuz must current)
method, it's certainly not the only option.

% worked (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) in a "secure" environment which
% does not allow a live connection to the internet.  In that sort of
% environment we are allowed to stick CDs into the machine to install
% software, but downloading is expressly prohibited.

Funny...  Where I'm contracting now they have a cow about anything
downloaded even if you bring it in on your own CD...  How nice that they
let you install what you want without having to jump through a million
hoops to ensure that the code that you download is the real thing instead
of some evilly-changed version...

%
% By refusing to provide a "monolithic install" option that users such as
% myself can download and burn to CD to be used on non-networked machines, you
% have essentially made cygwin a non-option for us.

Aha!  Here's your happiness, then.  The next time you're at a 'net box,
start setup (from the web site or your own copy or whatever) and select
"Download from Internet" to make your own respository.  It'll suck down
the whole thing (minus any pieces missing 'cuz of mirroring problems as
above) and then you'll have a lovely directory tree that you can burn to
CD (after moving the packages from the per-mirror subtree to the main
subtree, IIUC) and take into your lab and run setup (which I'm sure
you'll have remembered to put on the CD, along with setup.ini :-) and
choose "Install from Local Directory" and there ya go.

As an added bonus, you can update your "source tree" with more current
packages and then re-burn your CD periodically.

%
% And please, any comments such "just plug it in for the download - a firewall
% is more than adequate protection" are worthless - those of use that do
% government work deal with beaurocrats, not reasonable technically compentent
% human beings.

Understood, and I don't think anyone would suggest that (though I'm
finding it hard to resist ;-)

%
% Just an example - at my last government job I was not allowed to bring a
% CD-RW into the lab even though all the machines had _only_ CDROM drives. (
% yes, you read that correctly, read only drives NOT a writeable ones ).

And yet they let you bring in downloaded code...  Oy!

%
% I'm also concerned about the wasted bandwith and the delays induced by
% downloading.
%
% I have a stack of CDs that I have burned with the tools that I normally
% download such as gcc, xemacs, jdk, etc.  I use these whenever I setup a new

Right.  While I'm still amazed, I understand the concept; I do the same
thing (though it all fits on one CD; what the heck are you installing?!?).

% machine.  It seems that downloading 200-300M worth of stuff per machine is
% ludicrous - especially if you are going to configure 20-50 developer
% workstations, which I have had to do.  Seems like an excessive drain on your
% mirror sites, and the internet in general.

Sounds like a good reason for you to download + burn + install locally!

%
% Alfonso.

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org

* Re: suggestion/rant re: install method
@ 2002-05-29 12:35   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-05-29 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:26:59AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
>Alfonso, et al --
>
>...and then Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies) said...
>%
>% I just tried to download and install cygwin - and I have to say the install
>% is highly frustrating.
>
>I must admit that I know what you mean.
>

>%
>% While I understand the motivation for the granular installer, I think that
>% you should still provide the option of a monolithic download.  Unfortunatly
>% many of the "mirrors" that I had to chose from only mirrored a subset of the
>% modules that I needed to download for my full install.
>
>I don't feel a need to go back to a monolithic download, but keeping
>mirrors up to date really is a challenge.

The mirror list is supposed to be up-to-date modulo 12 hours or so.  Can
you provide an example mirror site that is badly out-of-date?

cgf

* Re: suggestion/rant re: install method
@ 2002-05-29 17:31     ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-05-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

Christopher, et al --

...and then Christopher Faylor said...
%
% On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:26:59AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >...and then Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies) said...
% >%
% >% many of the "mirrors" that I had to chose from only mirrored a subset of the
% >% modules that I needed to download for my full install.
% >
% >I don't feel a need to go back to a monolithic download, but keeping
% >mirrors up to date really is a challenge.
%
% The mirror list is supposed to be up-to-date modulo 12 hours or so.  Can
% you provide an example mirror site that is badly out-of-date?

I didn't know that it was 12 hours (but figured that it had to be
something) and can't provide any examples at the moment (I haven't
reinstalled since finally getting it right), but I'll keep an eye
out for them and take a look at how they compare.  You may recall my
endless agony with cygintl1; I *believe* I downloaded from uiarchive,
but it may be that I trashed everything including the directory and then
simply had that site in my list for an update after having gotten all of
the pieces together later.

%
% cgf
%
% --
% Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
% Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
% Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
% FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Thanks & HAND

@ 2002-05-30 11:26   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-05-30 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies),
	'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hi,

Another thing you can do, besides wget, is use rsync.  It will preserve
the sirectory structure and everything in the same manner as cvs.  If you
are terribly paranoid, you can even rsync directly from
sources.redhat.com, though try mirrors.rcn.net first as we wouldn't want
to overload sources ;).

Cheers,
Nicholas

       [not found] <83201DDE9625D611B09A00508BDF889E6795CC@emss03m04.orl.lmco. com>