* More 1.3.11 road show
@ 2002-06-04 21:47 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-06-04 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Please keep banging on the recent snapshots.  There is continued work on
security, binmode issues, virtual device (proc, registry) issues, and
other minor stuff.

As promised, I have been making binmode the default in cygwin.  You can
still use the mount command (or setup.exe for that matter) to default to
text mode but I am slowly removing all text mode assumptions from the
code, specifically for accesses of remote shares (as was previously
requested in this mailing list).

Most devices now default to binmode, too.

I'd like to deprecate the 'binmode' CYGWIN environment variable setting
in favor of actually mounting devices with the setting that you want.
So, for instance, you could do this, if you wanted your pipe reads to
default to text mode:

mount -t -s \dev\piper /dev/piper

(I haven't actually tried this, but it should work)

This gives you more pinpoint control and allows you to set a default for
pipes but not for, say, com ports.

I'm also refining the ability of cygwin to detect the file name of
stdin/stdout/stderr when first invoked from a command shell.  The code
in question is basically low level NT voodoo but it seems to be coming
into shape.

What this means is that if you do something like this:

c:\>pwd > d:\tmp\foo

and you've previously done a

mount -b d:\tmp /dtmp

then the line endings in d:\tmp\foo will be \n rather than \r\n.

I know that we (Red Hat) have some customers who won't like this, so
I'm going to have to think of a way to override this somehow.  In the
meantime, I'm happy to finally have this capability available.

So, keep the reports coming.  There are a couple of patches to go and
then I'll release 1.3.11.

cgf

* Re: More 1.3.11 road show
@ 2002-06-05  8:24 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-06-05  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: cygwin

[snip]
CF> What this means is that if you do something like this:

c:\>>pwd > d:\tmp\foo

CF> and you've previously done a

CF> mount -b d:\tmp /dtmp

CF> then the line endings in d:\tmp\foo will be \n rather than \r\n.

I've done some simple tests and it works for me. One question though:

Consider this situation - I have drive C mounted on /cygdrive/c/ as
binary and I have C:\Temp mounted on /ctmp as text. Now redirecting the
output of 'pwd' to a file in /cygdrive/c/Temp/ gives me UNIX line
endings, while redirecting it to /ctmp gives me DOS line endings. Is
this intended ? Shouldn't the /ctmp mount override the settings for
/cygdrive/c/Temp ?

* Re: More 1.3.11 road show
@ 2002-06-05  8:42   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-06-05  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 05:10:24PM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>[snip]
>CF> What this means is that if you do something like this:
>
>c:\>>pwd > d:\tmp\foo
>
>CF> and you've previously done a
>
>CF> mount -b d:\tmp /dtmp
>
>CF> then the line endings in d:\tmp\foo will be \n rather than \r\n.
>
>I've done some simple tests and it works for me. One question though:
>
>Consider this situation - I have drive C mounted on /cygdrive/c/ as
>binary and I have C:\Temp mounted on /ctmp as text. Now redirecting the
>output of 'pwd' to a file in /cygdrive/c/Temp/ gives me UNIX line
>endings, while redirecting it to /ctmp gives me DOS line endings. Is
>this intended ? Shouldn't the /ctmp mount override the settings for
>/cygdrive/c/Temp ?

No.  You can mount the same dos directory/file with multiple posix paths
and use different settings for each posix path.  When you access the posix
path in cygwin, the setting of the specific posix path will be used.  /cygdrive
is just another posix path in this case.

FWIW, this question has little to do with the issue you have tested.  If
you're using /cygdrive/c, you're probably inside a bash shell.
Redirection inside of shells has always correctly set binmode/textmode
based on mount, afaik.

It was the case of redirection from the dos command line that the recent
changes were supposed to handle.  Since the only information available
to cygwin at startup is (essentially) the dos path, cygwin has to guess
at the posix path associated with the dos path.  It will use /cygdrive/x
only if the dos path isn't specifically found in the mount table.

cgf

* Re[2]: More 1.3.11 road show
@ 2002-06-05 10:02     ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-06-05 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: cygwin

CF> FWIW, this question has little to do with the issue you have tested.  If
CF> you're using /cygdrive/c, you're probably inside a bash shell.
CF> Redirection inside of shells has always correctly set binmode/textmode
CF> based on mount, afaik.

Yes, I've misunderstood 'command shell'. Sorry.

* Re[2]: More 1.3.11 road show
@ 2002-06-05 10:19       ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-06-05 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: cygwin