* Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-05 21:18 Geetha Raman
From: Geetha Raman @ 2002-06-05 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi ,

I  have  recently  downloaded the  cygwin ver  1.3.10 and I have noticed
that it automatically mounts all windows mapped  drive as follows

c: on   /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
m: on  /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)

If I  tried to umount , it is  not unmounting it.  This is  creating  some
of our  script to fail since " :" is the  path separator in unix and the
script adds w:/cvs/.... to  path and earlier (old version) of  cygwin used
to  treat this as /cygdrive/w but now it takes as it is.

I  would appreciate  if you  help me to umount this so that it shouldn't
mount automatically when I  try to map a network drive. I  want the  old
behaviour. Let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
Geetha

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-05 23:37 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-05 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geetha Raman, cygwin

At 09:55 PM 6/5/2002, Geetha Raman wrote:
>Hi ,
>
>I  have  recently  downloaded the  cygwin ver  1.3.10 and I have noticed
>that it automatically mounts all windows mapped  drive as follows
>
>c: on   /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
>m: on  /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
>u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
>

>If I  tried to umount , it is  not unmounting it.  This is  creating  some
>of our  script to fail since " :" is the  path separator in unix and the
>script adds w:/cvs/.... to  path and earlier (old version) of  cygwin used
>to  treat this as /cygdrive/w but now it takes as it is.
>
>I  would appreciate  if you  help me to umount this so that it shouldn't
>mount automatically when I  try to map a network drive. I  want the  old
>behaviour. Let me know.

Even if you could umount drives from /cygdrive, this wouldn't solve your
problem.  I'm also curious as to what earlier version of Cygwin you found
would correctly interpret <drive>:<path> syntax in the PATH variable.  Can
you tell us all which version that was and show us an example?

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  3:04 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-06  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geetha Raman; +Cc: cygwin

Geetha schrieb:

> I  have  recently  downloaded the  cygwin ver  1.3.10 and I have noticed
> that it automatically mounts all windows mapped  drive as follows

Yes, this is great;)

> c: on   /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
> m: on  /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
> u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)

You can change the /cygdrive prefix to s.th. else (like '/').

> If I  tried to umount , it is  not unmounting it.  This is  creating  some
> of our  script to fail since " :" is the  path separator in unix and the
> script adds w:/cvs/.... to  path and earlier (old version) of  cygwin used
> to  treat this as /cygdrive/w but now it takes as it is.

If you want to use the latest greatest Cygwin available you'll need to
change your scripts.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  7:51   ` Jon LaBadie
From: Jon LaBadie @ 2002-06-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:31:49AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Geetha schrieb:
>
> > I  have  recently  downloaded the  cygwin ver  1.3.10 and I have noticed
> > that it automatically mounts all windows mapped  drive as follows
>
> Yes, this is great;)
>
> > c: on   /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
> > m: on  /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
> > u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
>
> You can change the /cygdrive prefix to s.th. else (like '/').

Really, did not realize this.  I've always made symlinks
for all the drives to /cygdrive/X.

I'd prefer an ls -l of /c to show the drive, not the link :)
Do cygwin users commonly change the /cygdrive prefix to '/'?

Are there any issues, positive or negative, in doing so?

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jcyg@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  7:59     ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-06-06  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List; +Cc: Jon LaBadie

Jon, et al --

...and then Jon LaBadie said...
%
% On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:31:49AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
% > Geetha schrieb:
% >
% > > u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
% >
% > You can change the /cygdrive prefix to s.th. else (like '/').
%
% Really, did not realize this.  I've always made symlinks
% for all the drives to /cygdrive/X.

That's what I heard, too.  I was very happy with the B20 //c access and
quite confused and dismayed by the change to /cygwin/c when I first met
it.

%
% I'd prefer an ls -l of /c to show the drive, not the link :)
% Do cygwin users commonly change the /cygdrive prefix to '/'?

I don't know about commonly, but this came up on the list a while back
with various inputs; see the archives.

I, like you, want /c to really be /c and not a link, both because of
having to make a link at all and of having to deal with them in ls later.
I took the hard route and changed /cygdrive to /c in the registry,
but the mount command lets you do it much more easily :-)

%
% Are there any issues, positive or negative, in doing so?

I haven't had any problems, other than tripping over scripts and having
to change "//" to "/" (but it would have had to change to "/cygwin"
anyway so it's still a win for me).

%
% --
% Jon H. LaBadie                  jcyg@jgcomp.com
%  JG Computing
%  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
%  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  8:00     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-06  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon LaBadie; +Cc: Cygwin

Jon schrieb:

>> You can change the /cygdrive prefix to s.th. else (like '/').

> Really, did not realize this.  I've always made symlinks
> for all the drives to /cygdrive/X.

mount --help

> I'd prefer an ls -l of /c to show the drive, not the link :)
> Do cygwin users commonly change the /cygdrive prefix to '/'?

I do, but I really don't know if it is common.

> Are there any issues, positive or negative, in doing so?

Well, before this feature was enabled I mounted the drives myself.
I got /hdd/c /hdd/d /hdd/e ...
Now I have all at the root /c /d /e ...

The issue is they don't show up if you do `ls` in a script or the
command line.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  8:11       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-06-06  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:51:41AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
>That's what I heard, too.  I was very happy with the B20 //c access and
>quite confused and dismayed by the change to /cygwin/c when I first met
>it.

Some day, in the far far distant future, as the sun slowly dies and the
Earth is nearly lifeless, all that will be left is the cockroaches,
scuttling across the face of the planet, eating lichen, and complaining
about how Cygwin B20 was so much better than cygwin 1.13976.117 .

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  8:42         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-06  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 10:57 AM 6/6/2002, you wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:51:41AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
>>That's what I heard, too.  I was very happy with the B20 //c access and
>>quite confused and dismayed by the change to /cygwin/c when I first met
>>it.
>
>Some day, in the far far distant future, as the sun slowly dies and the
>Earth is nearly lifeless, all that will be left is the cockroaches,
>scuttling across the face of the planet, eating lichen, and complaining
>about how Cygwin B20 was so much better than cygwin 1.13976.117 .
>
>cgf

<humor>
Chris, where can I get B20?
</humor>

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  8:47         ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-06-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

Christopher, et al --

...and then Christopher Faylor said...
%
% On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:51:41AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >That's what I heard, too.  I was very happy with the B20 //c access and
% >quite confused and dismayed by the change to /cygwin/c when I first met
% >it.

Please take special note of the last five words of the sentence above.

%
% Some day, in the far far distant future, as the sun slowly dies and the
% Earth is nearly lifeless, all that will be left is the cockroaches,

*grin*

% scuttling across the face of the planet, eating lichen, and complaining

I should make it clear that it's not that I feel that B20 was better
(or worse) but that the software has (unsurprisingly, and much to my
appreciation even if it may not sound like it) undergone such radical
growth and development in the time between of my downloading B20 and then
its patch (or was it B19 patched to B20?) and meeting up with Cygwin as
it is today.

Now, I'm a UNIX SysAdmin with a long brag sheet and I've done a lot
with a lot of tools under DOS and Win*, so even though I'm not much of
a programmer I like to think that I can find my way around.  So many
things (naturally) had changed in that time, though, that while I have
perl and scp and lots of other great stuff available right in cygwin
(hey, perhaps *that* is why nsperl went away!) I also have this funny
/cygdrive thing and can't just save one file on my software CD and know
that I can reinstall after a disaster and ...  It's a learning curve
thing, that's all.

Am I pining for the good old days of B*?  No.  Am I reticent to change
away from what is time-worn and comfortable?  Of course.  Do I know what
the heck is going on yet?  Not really.

% about how Cygwin B20 was so much better than cygwin 1.13976.117 .

I was going to make a smart-ass crack here but I suppose it might not go
over so well at this point.

%
% cgf

@ 2002-06-06  8:54           ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David T-G, CygWin Users' List

At 11:15 AM 6/6/2002, David T-G wrote:
>% about how Cygwin B20 was so much better than cygwin 1.13976.117 .
>
>I was going to make a smart-ass crack here but I suppose it might not go
>over so well at this point.

Why?  One smart-ass crack deserves another! ;-)

No, you're right.  Thanks for your restraint.

* Re: Need help in umounting  the auto mounted  mount points
@ 2002-06-06  8:57             ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-06-06  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

Bernard, et al --

...and then Bernard A Badger said...
%
% I expected it to be mentioned already, but since it hasn't, here goes:

Thanks for the pointer.  The only reason I didn't go into details was
because I instead pointed to the archives for the discussion; I was
*trying* to keep this thread from going too far off into the weeds.
Looks like I didn't succeed :-)

Interesting comment regarding script dependence on /cygdrive.  Are these
your scripts or are there cool resources out there which I might enjoy
perusing?

TIA & HAND

@ 2002-06-06  8:57           ` Bernard A Badger
From: Bernard A Badger @ 2002-06-06  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

I expected it to be mentioned already, but since it hasn't, here goes:

The old method, "//c/usr/bin", is incompatible with UNC (Universal Naming
Convention?) names like "//Host/share/dir/file".  That is, if the string
starts with //, it's supposed to be followed by a machine name, and a share
name.  If "/cygdrive/x" is too long for you, set up links, e.g.:
ln -s /cygdrive/x /X
or change the prefix to /drv or something.

I tried changing the prefix, but found it less convenient than using links.
There are too many scripts already written that assume /cygdrive/x exists.

@ 2002-06-06  9:39       ` Jon LaBadie
From: Jon LaBadie @ 2002-06-06  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 04:50:50PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Jon schrieb:
>
> >> You can change the /cygdrive prefix to s.th. else (like '/').
>
> > Really, did not realize this.  I've always made symlinks
> > for all the drives to /cygdrive/X.
>

> > Are there any issues, positive or negative, in doing so?
>
> The issue is they don't show up if you do `ls` in a script or the
> command line.

I just played with this and noticed the non-existant drive letters in /.

Playing some more, I reset the prefix to /cygdrive, made dummy directories
(mount points?) for all my drives, and reset the prefix to /.

Now the fixed drives appear in / and the removable media ones appear
only if media is in the drive.

I also made directories for a couple of non-existing drive letters.
After reseting the prefix to /, these entries still show in / but
doing an "ls /X" reports them as "no such file or directory".

--

@ 2002-06-06 13:57               ` Bernard A Badger
From: Bernard A Badger @ 2002-06-06 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

This was a while back, just after it was introduced.  Maybe they've cleaned up
by now.  A quick,
find / -type f -print0 | xargs -0 egrep -e /cygdrive -l /dev/null
reveals few cases:

mkgroup and mkpasswd which contains:
/cygdrive/%c

(I'm not sure how this is invoked, but it's in there.)

My own /etc/rsyncd.conf contains the link names, /cygdrive/C, /cygdrive/D.
If I change the prefix now, these will no longer work.  It's not hard to fix
individual ones, but the point is that things that exist persist in places you
might not suspect.  For example, my
./home/Administrator/gdbtk.ini
contains
session=/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/MSDev98/Bin
because that was active at the time I ran gdb.  I didn't know this, until I
searched for it.  The more use you make of things, the less easy it is to change
them.  I don't recommend chaning the prefix, but YMMV.