* Re: inetd servers went wrong after upgrading cygwin
@ 2002-07-08 19:48 Wu Yongwei
From: Wu Yongwei @ 2002-07-08 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried "export". The result is a terrible failure:

$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to wyw.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Without "export" I can go a little further:

$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to wyw.
Escape character is '^]'.

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.10(0.51/3/2) (wyw) (tty0)

login: Administrator
Password:
Last login: Tue Jul  9 09:39:41 from wyw
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
Connection closed by foreign host.

I will not try "default". The point that I want to use the registry entry is
that I do not want a global ntsec setting.

You are really helping, but I am not harming, either. I am in some aspects
your beta user. I already know one way how to make inetd work, but I am now
testing Cygwin trying bitterly to find out the reasons of the problems.

Whatever it is, the file /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README needs an
update. One way it mentions no longer works. I confirmed this browsing the
Cygwin message archive of February.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei

--- Original Message from Christopher Faylor ---

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:35:57PM +0800, Wu Yongwei wrote:
>What is the `an "export" in the inetd list', please? More details are
>appreciated.

Add the word "export" to the registry entry.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

>BTW, I also tried setting a value under "...\Cygwin\Program Options" for
>"c:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\in.telnetd.exe", with no luck.

Did you try using "default" as I suggested?  What I mean is that you
should replace "c:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\in.telnetd.exe" with "default".

This will cause the settings to be the default for all cygwin programs.

>And I tried downgrading to Cygwin 1.3.9-1 and confirmed that without a
>global environment variable CYGWIN inetd ran flawlessly under Cygwin
>1.3.9-1.  So it must be caused by some changes from Cygwin 1.3.9-1 to
>1.3.10-1, as mentioned by Mr John Vincent.  Sorry I cannot test with
>newer Cygwin releases since they simply won't run, which is caused by
>some other changes unknown to me.

If you want to go to the effort of tracking down the change in the code
where something changed, then that would be useful.  Otherwise, I doubt
that anyone is going to smack their head and say "Aha! 1.3.9 to 1.3.10!
Of course!" 1.3.10 was released in February.  1.3.9 was released in
January.  My memory of specific changes does not extend back that far.

I suspect that either adding "export" to the list of options to the
inetd registry key or using "default" will solve your problem but you
seem insistent on extending this dance.  I'm trying to help but if you
don't want to try the things that I'm suggesting then I will just stop
suggesting.

cgf

* Re: inetd servers went wrong after upgrading cygwin
@ 2002-07-08 21:46 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:48:29AM +0800, Wu Yongwei wrote:
>I tried "export". The result is a terrible failure:
>
>$ telnet localhost
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>Connected to wyw.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>
>Without "export" I can go a little further:
>
>$ telnet localhost
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>Connected to wyw.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>
>CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.10(0.51/3/2) (wyw) (tty0)
>
>login: Administrator
>Password:
>Last login: Tue Jul  9 09:39:41 from wyw
>Fanfare!!!
>You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>
>I will not try "default". The point that I want to use the registry entry is
>that I do not want a global ntsec setting.

Ok.  That was easy.

Plonk!

cgf

* Re: inetd servers went wrong after upgrading cygwin
@ 2002-07-09  8:05 John Vincent
From: John Vincent @ 2002-07-09  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adah, cygwin

Hi,

Since you've had so much trouble trying to upgrade
your cygwin installation, can I suggest a couple of
points:

1. Make sure **NO** cygwin processes are running when
you try to install. You must stop inetd and cron, close
any bash or rxvt sessions, etc. Otherwise the installation
process may not update the DLL when you think it has.

2. Make sure you don't have more than one version of
cygwin1.dll installed. Some windows packages install
a version of the DLL without telling you, so search
your whole hard disk for any other copies, delete
any you find.

I hope these suggestions are useful.

/John Vincent.

@ 2002-07-08 10:23 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-08 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-08  2:10 Wu Yongwei
From: Wu Yongwei @ 2002-07-08  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What is the `an "export" in the inetd list', please? More details are
appreciated.

BTW, I also tried setting a value under "...\Cygwin\Program Options" for
"c:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\in.telnetd.exe", with no luck.

And I tried downgrading to Cygwin 1.3.9-1 and confirmed that without a
global environment variable CYGWIN inetd ran flawlessly under Cygwin
1.3.9-1. So it must be caused by some changes from Cygwin 1.3.9-1 to
1.3.10-1, as mentioned by Mr John Vincent. Sorry I cannot test with newer
Cygwin releases since they simply won't run, which is caused by some other
changes unknown to me.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei

--- Original Message from Christopher Faylor ---

I haven't actually tried this with inetd.exe.  I've just verified that
setting a key for bash.exe has the desired effect.  I also tried the
"default" option (which is basically equivalent to setting the CYGWIN
environment variable everywhere) that works fine, too.

Maybe you are suffering from the fact that you are not including an
"export" in the inetd list.  You will need that if you want the values
to propagate.  Either that or you should just use "default" rather than
"c:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\inetd.exe".

>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]
>"C:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\inetd.exe"="binmode ntsec tty"
>
>defined and it used to work.

cgf

* Re: inetd servers went wrong after upgrading cygwin
@ 2002-07-08  1:36 ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2002-07-08  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

Wu Yongwei wrote:

> So you do not define am environment variable CYGWIN, do you?
>
> At least on this problem it seems I am not the only one affected. Mr John
> Vincent, as he said in his posting, had this problem too. My test shows
> clearly that after defining a CYGWIN environment variable with the value
> "binmode ntsec tty" and rebooting the computer the inetd works flawlessly. I
> have the registry key
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]
> "C:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\inetd.exe"="binmode ntsec tty"
>
> defined and it used to work.

I can confirm that you have to set the CYGWIN variable globally. It is
no longer sufficient to have the registry key to get inetd to work as it
used to under Cygwin 1.3.9.

Cheers

Don Sharp

@ 2002-07-07 20:06 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:03:09AM +0800, Wu Yongwei wrote:
>So you do not define am environment variable CYGWIN, do you?

No, I do not.  We were talking about the registry.

I haven't actually tried this with inetd.exe.  I've just verified that
setting a key for bash.exe has the desired effect.  I also tried the
"default" option (which is basically equivalent to setting the CYGWIN
environment variable everywhere) that works fine, too.

Maybe you are suffering from the fact that you are not including an
"export" in the inetd list.  You will need that if you want the values
to propagate.  Either that or you should just use "default" rather than
"c:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\inetd.exe".

>At least on this problem it seems I am not the only one affected.  Mr
>John Vincent, as he said in his posting, had this problem too.  My test
>shows clearly that after defining a CYGWIN environment variable with
>the value "binmode ntsec tty" and rebooting the computer the inetd
>works flawlessly.  I have the registry key
>
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]
>"C:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\inetd.exe"="binmode ntsec tty"
>
>defined and it used to work.

cgf

* Re: inetd servers went wrong after upgrading cygwin
@ 2002-07-07 19:46 Wu Yongwei
From: Wu Yongwei @ 2002-07-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-07 10:22 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-07  4:32 Wu Yongwei
From: Wu Yongwei @ 2002-07-07  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, John Vincent

@ 2002-07-05  4:38 John Vincent
From: John Vincent @ 2002-07-05  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adah; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-07-05  4:35 ` Jim George
From: Jim George @ 2002-07-05  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wu Yongwei, cygwin

Wu Yongwei,

    another thought...someone told me that the error message you mention
below was caused by more than one cygwin1.dll on your path.  Try ensuring
that you only have the one in /bin (which has a symlink to /usr/bin).

Jim
From: Wu Yongwei @ 2002-07-05  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-05  0:16 ` Jim George