* The Empire Strikes Back...sorta
@ 2002-07-09 12:18 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-07-09 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"How to port Unix Apps to Windows"

http://www.x-solutions.com/SFU/Intro.php

Let's see if THIS attempt is any more successful than their last Interix
"solution".  Cygwin rules!

--Chuck

* Re: The Empire Strikes Back...sorta
@ 2002-07-09 13:03 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, cygwin

--- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> "How to port Unix Apps to Windows"
>
> http://www.x-solutions.com/SFU/Intro.php
>
> Let's see if THIS attempt is any more successful than their last Interix
>
> "solution".  Cygwin rules!

Chuck,

It's too bad they have ONC/RPC services w/NFS(d) and we don't...  :-(

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: The Empire Strikes Back...sorta
@ 2002-07-09 13:55   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-07-09 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms; +Cc: cygwin

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> It's too bad they have ONC/RPC services w/NFS(d) and we don't...  :-(

there used to be a sun rpc port for cygwin floating around out there --
but you're right, nfs(d) would be tricky, since you need the Installable
File System Development Kit from MS to do it.

Plus, we support 9x/Me, they don't.  (Heck, interix might even be
xp-only these days, for all I know)

@ 2002-07-09 15:54 ` Max
From: Max @ 2002-07-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote in message
> "How to port Unix Apps to Windows"
>
> http://www.x-solutions.com/SFU/Intro.php
>
> Let's see if THIS attempt is any more successful than their last Interix
> "solution".  Cygwin rules!

Touting telnet and remote shell as major features vs. ssh/scp in this day
and age doesn't impress me a bit .. in fact it makes me
go "BLECH!!  AKK!" ... and then listing C shell vs. tcsh and ksh vs.
bash/zsh as the two major shells .. I think this is another MS
attempt that will not go over well (in my opinion).

NFS has been done well between PCs and Unices for years now with 3rd party
tools ... many times. .... and there is Samba as
well ..

The only thing that looks remotely interesting is the POSIX compliant
subsystem, which Cygwin is developing at, in my
opinion, a very fast rate ... in my opinion .. I think Cygwin will be much
more feature-rich and stable than SFU will ever be .... I tried an
early version of the UNIX services for Windows on NT 4 ... and they were
awful ... that same year there was a port of IE 4 for
Solaris ... awful as well!

And also, as someone else said, they do not support Win9x ...

I don't think there should be any concern that this will overshadow Cygwin
... I don't think there is :) ... after all, the first
release of UNIX services for Windows came out in what, 1997 .. and how aware
is the general admin/user community
about it?  I would say not very :) .. and for good reason.  It was awful.

Max

* Re: The Empire Strikes Back...sorta
@ 2002-07-09 23:36   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-09 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:35:51PM -0400, Max wrote:
>The only thing that looks remotely interesting is the POSIX compliant
>subsystem, which Cygwin is developing at, in my opinion, a very fast
>rate ...  in my opinion ..  I think Cygwin will be much more
>feature-rich and stable than SFU will ever be ....  I tried an early
>version of the UNIX services for Windows on NT 4 ...  and they were
>awful ...  that same year there was a port of IE 4 for Solaris ...
>awful as well!

Thanks for the compliment but, just to be clear, a POSIX compliant
subsystem stands a better chance of being more feature rich and
(especially) faster than cygwin.  A subsystem has access to more
low level features of the kernel.  So it can do things like properly
fork or properly handle a case sensitive file system.

I never actually heard anyone say that Interix was bad before.  I always
thought it was probably a pretty good product.  The guys working on
it are certainly sharp.

Hmm.  I have an unopened copy of Interix from a couple of years ago
sitting on my desk.  I wonder if Microsoft will upgrade me.

cgf

* Re: The Empire Strikes Back...sorta
@ 2002-07-10  9:12     ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-10  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

--- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>

> > It's too bad they have ONC/RPC services w/NFS(d) and we don't...  :-(
>

> there used to be a sun rpc port for cygwin floating around out there --
> but you're right, nfs(d) would be tricky, since you need the Installable
>
> File System Development Kit from MS to do it.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your point being?  The last time I checked, there were headers from the
Platform SDK and DirectX SDK in the w32api include directory.  Its not
like we haven't used MS Developer Kits in the past.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* RE: The Empire Strikes Back...sorta
@ 2002-07-10 12:39 Mark Bradshaw
From: Mark Bradshaw @ 2002-07-10 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

When I saw SFU 3 come out I went ahead and grabbed a copy.  It's includes
some nice packages to start with, but it's much thinner than the cygwin
selection.  More of a do-it-yourself kit if you want more than the password
synchronization, nfs, whatever that's included.  It uses an old version of
gcc, but other than that it was decent overall.  It's my understanding that
3 is a major departure from older versions, so you can't really go off old
impressions.

Out of about 15 packages that I downloaded and compiled about 5-7 needed
tweaking to compile.  Only OpenSSH required much time to get working.

So, overall, it looks interesting.

@ 2002-07-09 16:06 Stephan Mueller
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2002-07-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

SFU == Simon Fraser University.  Nice little place, up on a hill, in
Vancouver BC.
stephan();
(Disclaimer -- I didn't go there.  Considered them, but they were closed
due to snow the day I called for an application.)

From: Gary R Van Sickle @ 2002-07-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)