* ftpd case sensitivity problem
@ 2002-07-11  8:47 Corwin
From: Corwin @ 2002-07-11  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Maybe it has been discussed before but I did not find any reference to it so
let's ask the question.
There is something I don't understand in the behaviour of ftpd that made me
point out another problem. I enabled anonymous access to my ftp server and
wanted to disable access by aprivileged user (that is to say authorize only
anonymous). To achieve this I filled my /etc/ftpusers with every users of
/etc/passwd.

The problem is that the check into ftpusers IS case sensitive whereas the
ftp access IS NOT case sensitive .. !!!

Here is an example:

ftpusers file content:
--------------------------------------
thomas
tlefeuvre
administrator
Administrator
guest
--------------------------------------

Test 1
--------------------------------------
$ftp localhost
Connected to lefeuvrewk2.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 lefeuvrewk2 FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (localhost:TLEFEUVRE): Administrator
530 User Administrator access denied.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
--------------------------------------

----> User Administrator can not log into the ftp server.

Test 2
--------------------------------------
$ftp localhost
Connected to lefeuvrewk2.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 lefeuvrewk2 FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (localhost:TLEFEUVRE): aDministrator
331 Password required for aDministrator.
Password:
230- Fanfare!!!
230- You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
230 User Administrator logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
--------------------------------------

----> User aDministrator CAN log into the ftp server !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this well known and the wanted behaviour ?

Thomas

* Re: ftpd case sensitivity problem
@ 2002-07-11  9:02 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin; +Cc: cygwin

Corwin schrieb:

About case sensitive check in /etc/ftpusers

> ftpusers file content:
> --------------------------------------
> thomas
> tlefeuvre
> administrator
> Administrator
> guest
> --------------------------------------

---->> User Administrator can not log into the ftp server.

Yes, this user is in /etc/ftpusers

---->> User aDministrator CAN log into the ftp server !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this user is not in /etc/ftpusers

> Is this well known and the wanted behaviour ?

No, this is really a problem and I have never heard about it before.
I'll stop my ftpd immediatly and will use SSH instead.
Thanks for the info.

CYGWIN=check_case:strict seems to have no effect here?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: ftpd case sensitivity problem
@ 2002-07-11 13:32 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-07-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:54:55PM +0200, Corwin wrote:
> The problem is that the check into ftpusers IS case sensitive whereas the
> ftp access IS NOT case sensitive .. !!!
> [...]
> ----> User aDministrator CAN log into the ftp server !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

> Is this well known and the wanted behaviour ?

Definitely not.  Thanks for the report.  I'm going to upload a new
version of inetutils soon.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.