* RE: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-13 19:35 Richard Campbell
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard Campbell @ 2002-07-13 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

After downloading the 1.18 prebuilt rebase binary from
tishler.net, the rebase that modphp4 attempts in its post
install script works.

So it looks (to me) like modphp4 is just distributed with
an out of date rebase exe.

broken rebase (distributed with modphp4) - 90624 bytes.
working rebase (1.18 from tishler.net) - 7168 bytes.

Further comments?

-Richard Campbell.

* RE: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-13 20:20 ` Nicholas Wourms
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Campbell; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

--- Richard Campbell <richard.campbell@air2web.com> wrote:
> After downloading the 1.18 prebuilt rebase binary from
> tishler.net, the rebase that modphp4 attempts in its post
> install script works.
>
> So it looks (to me) like modphp4 is just distributed with
> an out of date rebase exe.
>
> broken rebase (distributed with modphp4) - 90624 bytes.
> working rebase (1.18 from tishler.net) - 7168 bytes.
>
> Further comments?

Strange, I'll have to give that a shot...  Have you been able to rebase
the whole apache dir?

Cheers,
Nicholas

* RE: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-13 21:44 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-13 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Campbell, 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

--- Richard Campbell <richard.campbell@air2web.com> wrote:
> After downloading the 1.18 prebuilt rebase binary from
> tishler.net, the rebase that modphp4 attempts in its post
> install script works.
>
> So it looks (to me) like modphp4 is just distributed with
> an out of date rebase exe.
>
> broken rebase (distributed with modphp4) - 90624 bytes.
> working rebase (1.18 from tishler.net) - 7168 bytes.
>
> Further comments?

Richard,

How did you know it worked?  You might be advised to edit the script and
add the "-v" option so that rebase will print out any error messages.  The
new rebase is silent by default, so it could just be doing nothing.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-14 11:20 ` Jason Tishler
       [not found]   ` <3D844B16.C8C95DD@wapme-systems.de>
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-14 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard,

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:41:20AM -0400, Richard Campbell wrote:
> After downloading the 1.18 prebuilt rebase binary from
> tishler.net, the rebase that modphp4 attempts in its post
> install script works.

Did rebase 1.18 really work for you under Me?  Please use something like
the following to verify:

    $ objdump -p foo.dll | fgrep ImageBase

Are the apache modules rebased as expected?  Is apache able to fork()
without errors?

> So it looks (to me) like modphp4 is just distributed with
> an out of date rebase exe.

Note that apache should *not* be distributed with any rebase since it is
not an official Cygwin package.

> broken rebase (distributed with modphp4) - 90624 bytes.

The above is just some (unstripped) version that the Apache maintainer
included in his package.

> working rebase (1.18 from tishler.net) - 7168 bytes.

The above is just my latest (stripped) version.

> Further comments?

See above.

Jason

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-09-15  2:00   ` Stipe Tolj
       [not found]   ` <3D844B16.C8C95DD@wapme-systems.de>
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2002-09-15  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Jason,

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Note that apache should *not* be distributed with any rebase since it is
> not an official Cygwin package.

yep, I know. But can you give me an other option how to rebase the
depending DLLs on the installted machine?!

I thought you guys would have packaged rebase already to the core
distro of Cygwin?

Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-15  2:29 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2002-09-15  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Campbell; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

Richard Campbell wrote:

> After downloading the 1.18 prebuilt rebase binary from
> tishler.net, the rebase that modphp4 attempts in its post
> install script works.
>
> So it looks (to me) like modphp4 is just distributed with
> an out of date rebase exe.

yep, that's almost certain from my point of view. I haven't touched
the distros for a long time now.

> broken rebase (distributed with modphp4) - 90624 bytes.
> working rebase (1.18 from tishler.net) - 7168 bytes.
>
> Further comments?

I will check to see if Jasons' new version work for me and include it
to the new php-4.2.3 package.

BTW, is the rebase call now awailable in the cygwin core distro or do
I still have to package it to be able to rebase the depending DLLs at
postinstall time?!

@ 2002-09-15  5:39     ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-09-15  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj, Jason Tishler; +Cc: cygwin

--- Stipe Tolj <tolj@wapme-systems.de> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >
> > Note that apache should *not* be distributed with any rebase
> since it is
> > not an official Cygwin package.
>
> yep, I know. But can you give me an other option how to rebase the
> depending DLLs on the installted machine?!
>
> I thought you guys would have packaged rebase already to the core
> distro of Cygwin?

Actually it is taking a little more time because Ralf was able to
come up with a rebase that was totally cygwin native and didn't use
imagehlp.dll.  The idea, of course, is to have an integrated rebase
that works regardless of platform (hopefully).  Of course, I also
imagine Robert's been as busy as you, so he really hasn't had much
time to devote to fixing up setup to accept this backend.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-09-16 10:47     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-09-16 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Stipe,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 10:54:24AM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > Note that apache should *not* be distributed with any rebase since
> > it is not an official Cygwin package.
>
> yep, I know. But can you give me an other option how to rebase the
> depending DLLs on the installted machine?!

Sorry, no.

> I thought you guys would have packaged rebase already to the core
> distro of Cygwin?

See my next post...

Jason

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-09-16 10:48       ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-09-16 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms; +Cc: Stipe Tolj, cygwin

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 03:52:50AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> --- Stipe Tolj <tolj@wapme-systems.de> wrote:
> > Jason Tishler wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that apache should *not* be distributed with any rebase since
> > > it is not an official Cygwin package.
> >
> > yep, I know. But can you give me an other option how to rebase the
> > depending DLLs on the installted machine?!
> >
> > I thought you guys would have packaged rebase already to the core
> > distro of Cygwin?
>
> Actually it is taking a little more time because Ralf was able to
> come up with a rebase that was totally cygwin native and didn't use
> imagehlp.dll.

Thanks for covering for me Nicholas, but "it is taking a little more
time" because either:

    1. My current constraints do not allow me more time to work on
       integrating rebase into setup.exe.
    2. I am lame.

I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to decide. :,)

> The idea, of course, is to have an integrated rebase
> that works regardless of platform (hopefully).  Of course, I also
> imagine Robert's been as busy as you, so he really hasn't had much
> time to devote to fixing up setup to accept this backend.

See above.  Rob has only been helping me with design issues -- I am the
one "responsible" for adding rebase to setup.exe.  Of course, the
impatient (or patient) are always welcome to help.

Jason

@ 2002-09-16 10:50     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-09-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: Cygwin

Stipe,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 10:55:50AM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> I can't find and recent updates to rebase on www.tishler.net, can you
> advice me where to find it to try it with the new apache and php
> versions?

rebase 1.18 is the most recent version (from me).  You may want to use
Ralf's version instead since it also works under Me:

Jason

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken), apache seg fault, XP, ME, 98
@ 2002-09-17  1:12       ` ...2«...
From: ...2«... @ 2002-09-17  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Cygwin

ive been following this thread for awhile, because i had troubles with
apache/mod_php/cygwin. i got modphp to work (although buggy - try
phpinfo() - and i know this probably isnt cygwin related) using rebase new
and old 1.8 and 1.5 (from memory), the post install scripts for modphp seem
to be fine, but i think it was missing rebase of gdbm.dll in bin(?), as
apache came dist. with gdbm support(?).

<snip from="/etc/postinstall/apache-php.sh.done">
rebase_dlls="${libdir}/${module_dll} ${prefix}/bin/cygbz21.0.dll
${prefix}/bin/cygcrypto.d
ll ${prefix}/bin/cygintl-1.dll ${prefix}/bin/pq.dll
${prefix}/bin/cygxml2-2.dll ${prefix}/
bin/cygz.dll
</snip>

for those who still cant get mod_php to load without seg. faulting, try
adding ${prefix}/bin/cyggdbm.dll

dan

@ 2002-07-16  8:55 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-16  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 09:42:35AM -0400, Richard Campbell wrote:
> >    1. These DLLs are already corrupted (from a previous rebase run).

Note that I meant from an older rebase version that did not guard
against ReBaseImage() corruption.  The current version should not
corrupt DLLs anymore.

> >Can you try to rebase some DLLs after restoring them from their
> >tarballs?
>
> I'll try that tonight.

Thanks.

@ 2002-07-16  8:50     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-16  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nicholas,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 06:44:02AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> --- Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> wrote:
> > > ./rebase1.exe -v -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000
> > > /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll
> > > [snip]
> > > /usr/bin/cygz.dll
> > > c:\usr\lib\apache\libphp4.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
> > > [snip]
> > > c:\usr\bin\cygz.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
>       ^^^^^
> Rebase is doing this to me as well, I think it is having problems with the
> path conversion.  For some reason it is dropping the "cygwin" from the
> path.

Oh, the answer is simple: rebase is a Mingw *not* Cygwin app.

@ 2002-07-16  7:15   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-16  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler, cygwin

--- Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:06:03PM -0400, Richard Campbell wrote:
> > ulmont@monolith /c/cygwindl$
> > ./rebase1.exe -v -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000
> > /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll
> > [snip]
> > /usr/bin/cygz.dll
> > c:\usr\lib\apache\libphp4.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
> > [snip]
> > c:\usr\bin\cygz.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
      ^^^^^

Jason,

Rebase is doing this to me as well, I think it is having problems with the
path conversion.  For some reason it is dropping the "cygwin" from the
path.  It should be C:\cygwin\usr...  not C:\usr\...  Anyhow, this only
occurs when running inside cygwin and you specify the path to the dlls
with a prefixed "/".  As for the stackdumps, the are still happening here.
 As I previously mentioned, I was consdiering CC:'ing Steven M. from
Microsoft to see if he could ask around, because I believe that there has
to be something funny going on with imagehlp.dll on WindowsME.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* RE: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-16  7:11 Richard Campbell
From: Richard Campbell @ 2002-07-16  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>    1. These DLLs are already corrupted (from a previous rebase run).
>    2. My is_rebaseable() has a bug.
>
>Can you try to rebase some DLLs after restoring them from their
>tarballs?

I'll try that tonight.

If the previous rebase run did corrupt them, though, it did it just before
segfaulting...and it would be very odd if it managed to corrupt all of them
in one shot.

-Richard Campbell.

* Re: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-16  7:06 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-16  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:06:03PM -0400, Richard Campbell wrote:
> ulmont@monolith /c/cygwindl$
> ./rebase1.exe -v -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000
> /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll
> [snip]
> /usr/bin/cygz.dll
> c:\usr\lib\apache\libphp4.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
> [snip]
> c:\usr\bin\cygz.dll: skipped because not rebaseable

You shouldn't get the above unless:

    1. These DLLs are already corrupted (from a previous rebase run).
    2. My is_rebaseable() has a bug.

I hope it is 1 and not 2.

@ 2002-07-16  1:24 Richard Campbell
From: Richard Campbell @ 2002-07-16  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

>Can you also hand run it on a few dlls?  Make sure to use the "-v" flag
>for verbosity.

To sum up - still broken.

At this point (the directory line has been cut down, the
file is rebase1.exe because I downloaded it into the same
directory as the apache-provided one, and I separated the
parameters onto multiple lines for clarity):

ulmont@monolith /c/cygwindl$
./rebase1.exe -v -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000
/usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll
/usr/bin/cygbz21.0.dll
/usr/bin/cygcrypto.dll
/usr/bin/cygintl-1.dll
/usr/bin/pq.dll
/usr/bin/cygxml2-2.dll
/usr/bin/cygz.dll
c:\usr\lib\apache\libphp4.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
c:\usr\bin\cygbz21.0.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
c:\usr\bin\cygcrypto.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
c:\usr\bin\cygintl-1.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
c:\usr\bin\pq.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
c:\usr\bin\cygxml2-2.dll: skipped because not rebaseable
c:\usr\bin\cygz.dll: skipped because not rebaseable

ulmont@monolith /c/cygwindl$
./rebase1.exe -v -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000 libphp4.dll

<segfault>

ulmont@monolith /c/cygwindl$
./rebase1.exe -v -d -b 0x68000000 -o 0x10000 /c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/msxml3.dll
c:\c\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msxml3.dll: skipped because not rebaseable

I'm not sure what caused the segfault, as I had run rebase on that
file a number of times earlier and rebase had simply reported
"not rebaseable".  I think I tried running rebase without an offset
on that dll shortly before rebase began segfaulting.

-Richard Campbell.

* RE: rebase under ME (modphp4 broken)
@ 2002-07-15 11:43 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Campbell, cygwin

--- Richard Campbell <richard.campbell@air2web.com> wrote:
> >Did rebase 1.18 really work for you under Me?  Please use something
> like
> >the following to verify:
> >
> >    $ objdump -p foo.dll | fgrep ImageBase
> >
> >Are the apache modules rebased as expected?  Is apache able to fork()
> >without errors?
>
> I'll check.  Honestly, I just noticed that 1.18 didn't segfault and
> the other version did.

Richard,

@ 2002-07-15 11:10 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-15 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:58:27AM -0400, Richard Campbell wrote:
> I'll check.

Thanks.

> Honestly, I just noticed that 1.18 didn't segfault and the other
> version did.

Actually, the lack of a segfault is a step in the right direction.

@ 2002-07-15 10:17 Richard Campbell
From: Richard Campbell @ 2002-07-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin