* Re: Installation Problem???
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.33.0207211845500.6307-100000@alex.idk-enterpris es.com>
@ 2002-07-21 22:18 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-21 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Balcom, cygwin

Jim,

At 15:51 2002-07-21, Jim Balcom wrote:
>On a Windows 95 machine - quite standard, I installed Cygwin from the
>internet.
>It didn't seem to be complete, so the next morning I did another install
>from another mirror.
>
>In both cases, for example, I am told that Midnight Commander is included
>in the initial installation. It did not seem to install in either
>installation. Nor, using MC for windows, can I find it on the hard drive.
>
>I went back to download and install Joe. I downloaded it, but Cygwin can't
>find anyway to unzip it (bzip).

The command for unzipping and zipping BZip2 archives is "bunzip2" and
"bzip2" (resp.).

I install (and update) everything from the Cygwin net release, and Midnight
Commander is present in /bin (a.k.a. /usr/bin) with the name "mc." It's a
little too "old school" for my taste, but hey, de gustibus...

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

* Re: Installation Problem???
@ 2002-07-22  2:30   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-22  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, Jim Balcom, cygwin

--- Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> At 15:51 2002-07-21, Jim Balcom wrote:
> >On a Windows 95 machine - quite standard, I installed Cygwin from the
> >internet.
> >It didn't seem to be complete, so the next morning I did another
> install
> >from another mirror.
> >
> >In both cases, for example, I am told that Midnight Commander is
> included
> >in the initial installation. It did not seem to install in either
> >installation. Nor, using MC for windows, can I find it on the hard
> drive.
> >
> >I went back to download and install Joe. I downloaded it, but Cygwin
> can't
> >find anyway to unzip it (bzip).

> The command for unzipping and zipping BZip2 archives is "bunzip2" and
> "bzip2" (resp.).

Sigh, even I make this mistake now and then.  I've symlinked bzip2->bzip
and bunzip2->bunzip on my machine.  Perhaps this symlink should exist in
the packaged bzip2?  I mean it isn't like anyone is going to have the
original bzip installed at this point...

> I install (and update) everything from the Cygwin net release, and
> Midnight
> Commander is present in /bin (a.k.a. /usr/bin) with the name "mc." It's
> little too "old school" for my taste, but hey, de gustibus...

non disputantum est...

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: Installation problem:
@ 2003-11-13 17:47 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-11-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aimmethod; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, aimmethod wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I do not have a mouse attached to my computer.
>
> After entering installation setup, I cannot choose
> components to be installed ie. I can toggle between
> the options on top and bottom of the window, but not
> into the items list. How do I select items for
> installation using keyboard?
>
> Thx in advance.

You don't, sorry.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.

Alternatively, you can download everything you need to another computer
(one with a mouse), edit setup.ini to move all the packages to the Base
category, and do a local install from a shared directory (or a CD, search
the archives for caveats) by simply accepting the default selections on
your machine.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Installation Problem???
@ 2002-07-21 21:33 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 06:51:22PM -0400, Jim Balcom wrote:
>On a Windows 95 machine - quite standard, I installed Cygwin from the
>internet.
>It didn't seem to be complete, so the next morning I did another install
>from another mirror.
>
>In both cases, for example, I am told that Midnight Commander is included in
>the initial installation.

You were told wrong.

>It did not seem to install in either installation.  Nor, using MC for
>windows, can I find it on the hard drive.

"Note also that, by default, setup.exe *does not install everything*.
Only the base cygwin distribution is installed by default.  When running
setup.exe, clicking on categories and packages in the package
installation screen will provide you with the ability to control what is
installed or updated.  For instance, clicking on the "Default" field
next to the "All" category will provide you with the opportunity to
install every Cygwin package.  Be advised that this will download and
install hundreds of megabytes to your computer.  The best plan is
probably to click on individual categories and install either entire
categories or packages from the categories themselves."

In this case, Midnight Commander is available in the "Shells" category.

>I went back to download and install Joe. I downloaded it, but Cygwin can't
>find anyway to unzip it (bzip).

Since "joe" is not a standard cygwin package, you really can't install
it with cygwin setup any more than you could install Microsoft Word with
cygwin setup.

>Is there something missing, or do I need to go somewhere to download a whole
>bunch of other stuff?

You can't install joe, but you can install much more stuff than just the
standard cygwin base installation.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .

* Installation Problem???
@ 2002-07-21 19:06 Jim Balcom
From: Jim Balcom @ 2002-07-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On a Windows 95 machine - quite standard, I installed Cygwin from the
internet.
It didn't seem to be complete, so the next morning I did another install
from another mirror.

In both cases, for example, I am told that Midnight Commander is included in
the initial installation. It did not seem to install in either installation.
Nor, using MC for windows, can I find it on the hard drive.

I went back to download and install Joe. I downloaded it, but Cygwin can't
find anyway to unzip it (bzip).

Is there something missing, or do I need to go somewhere to download a whole
bunch of other stuff?

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Sunday, July 21, 2002 at 18:45 PM:
Don't just stand there...KNEEL!!

* installation problem?
@ 1997-08-02  4:41 HgKim
From: HgKim @ 1997-08-02  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

When compiling, following message out.
"GCC.EXE: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory"

How can I do fix this problem?

-