* RE: autoconf issues [often when upgrading from 2.13->2.53a]
@ 2002-07-22 17:46 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-22 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

I'm using Win2K.

I'm pretty reluctant to point the finger at 'sed', but unfortunately I
don't have any more clues at this time.  Can you add 'set -xv' to the
generated configure script at the place in the code where 'sed' is
called, and post the result?  That, along with the input stream, could
help to debug that problem.  Also, it would help to know what
configure.in statements are generating the corresponding code in the
generated configure script, if you're able to identify those statements.

As usual, three basics are needed before the problem can be debugged:

  1. The command(s) that are "causing" the problem.
  2. The results you expected.
  3. The results you got.

@ 2002-07-22 23:01 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-22 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mark,

Are you aware of how many instances of sed autoconf runs, let alone
libtool?  I'll post the statement for the original issue this thread
describes, but as for anything else, that will be more difficult.
Unfortunately TeX is very convoluted in it's own way, so trying to
figure out what pdfTeX is doing with sed is like searching for a
needle in the haystack.  I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
Nicholas

@ 2002-07-25 13:56 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-25 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

> > Looking at the log of the configure session that you included, it's
> > apparent that your version of 'expr' is returning the wrong result.
> > Here's the command that the configure script runs:
> >
> > expr xposixmutexes :
> >
> '.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012
> 3456789]'
> > && echo hello
> >
> > (I changed the 'echo' portion for simplicity.)
> >
> > This invocation of 'expr' should return 0 (zero) and the second
> > half of
> > the '&&' expression should not be evaluated, but on your system it
> > is.
>
> Hmm, I see...
>
> > You might try running the first half of the '&&' expression without
> > the
> > second half to see what position in the 'xposixmutexes' string
> > 'expr'
> > thinks it is finding an invalid character.
>
> Curious, this is the result on the Win98SE machine:
> $ expr xposixmutexes :
> '.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012
> 3456789]'
>
> 0
>
> I take it this isn't what should have happened if something was
> wrong?  However, I immediately try the configure script and I get
> that error...

My guess is that when the 'configure' script is running, it is finding
a different version of 'expr'.  Is it possible that you have more than
one version installed on your machine?

At your shell prompt, enter the command:

   $ type expr

Next, edit your 'configure' script and find the section that evaluates
the '--enable' option, i.e.,

  -enable-* | --enable-*)
    ac_feature=`expr "x$ac_option" : 'x-*enable-\([^=]*\)'`
    # Reject names that are not valid shell variable names.
    expr "x$ac_feature" : ".*[^-_$as_cr_alnum]" >/dev/null &&
      { echo "$as_me: error: invalid feature name: $ac_feature" >&2
   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
    ac_feature=`echo $ac_feature | sed 's/-/_/g'`
    case $ac_option in
      *=*) ac_optarg=`echo "$ac_optarg" | sed "s/'/'\\\\\\\\''/g"`;;
      *) ac_optarg=yes ;;
    esac
    eval "enable_$ac_feature='$ac_optarg'" ;;

Insert the line 'type expr' before the line:

>    expr "x$ac_feature" : ".*[^-_$as_cr_alnum]" >/dev/null &&

Save the change and run the 'configure' script again.  It should fail
again, of course, but it should also tell you where it thinks it is
finding the 'expr' program.

By the way, your instructions for generating 'configure' using your
'db-3.1.17-1.sh' script did not mention that you had overridden the
settings of $CC and $CXX to use 'gcc-2' and 'g++-2'.

---

* RE: autoconf issues [often when upgrading from 2.13->2.53a]
@ 2002-07-23 21:15 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-23 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harig, Mark A., cygwin

--- "Harig, Mark A." <maharig@idirect.net> wrote:
> First some facts about what I have:
>
> 1. I have access to Win2K, but not 98/ME/etc.

I'm running both WinME and a Win98SE machines.

> 2. cygwin, version 1.3.12-2

WinME: v1.3.13(CVS)
Win98SE: v1.3.12-2

> 3. $ bash --version
>    GNU bash, version 2.05a.0(3)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>    Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Both are running the latest bash from the mirrors:
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release

> 4. $ expr --version
>    expr (GNU sh-utils) 2.0

Both are running expr (GNU sh-utils) 2.0

> Looking at the log of the configure session that you included, it's
> apparent that your version of 'expr' is returning the wrong result.
> Here's the command that the configure script runs:
>
> expr xposixmutexes :

'.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]'
> && echo hello
>
> (I changed the 'echo' portion for simplicity.)
>
> This invocation of 'expr' should return 0 (zero) and the second
> half of
> the '&&' expression should not be evaluated, but on your system it
> is.

Hmm, I see...

> You might try running the first half of the '&&' expression without
> the
> second half to see what position in the 'xposixmutexes' string
> 'expr'
> thinks it is finding an invalid character.

Curious, this is the result on the Win98SE machine:
$ expr xposixmutexes :
'.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]'

0

I take it this isn't what should have happened if something was
wrong?  However, I immediately try the configure script and I get
that error...

> Are you running the latest stable version of 'expr' that Cygwin has
> available?  It's included in sh-utils 2.0-2, which is in the 'Base'
> category when setup.exe is run.

Yes, I'm always running the latest :-).  As a side note, eventhough
I'm regex-illiterate, I still know what I'm doing for the most part
;-).

Cheers,
Nicholas

* RE: autoconf issues [often when upgrading from 2.13->2.53a]
@ 2002-07-23 21:14 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-23 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

One other thing: You might try using the alternative syntax for the
'expr' command, that is, instead of:

   expr STRING : REGEXP

try

   expr match STRING REGEXP

Specifically,

   $ expr match xposixmutexes
'.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]'

should return 0 (zero).

@ 2002-07-23 19:59 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-23 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

@ 2002-07-23 13:43 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-23 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harig, Mark A., cygwin

--- "Harig, Mark A." <maharig@idirect.net> wrote:
> Yes, autoconf uses sed many, many times.  What is often possible is
> narrow down which one by searching in 'configure' for the text
> message
> that 'configure' generates at the time that the script hangs, e.g.,
> "Checking for GNU c compiler..."  Sometimes you may need to do this
> several times.  The better approach is to have a firm understanding
> of
> the layers of abstraction that autoconf builds on top of m4 and
> automake
> builds on top of autoconf, etc. but we're trying the
> "brute-force-examine-the-assembly-language" approach.  'config.log'
> is
> sometimes helpful in providing clues about what might be causing
> the
> problem.

Mark,

[...]

If you (or anyone else) are interested in seeing what it does on your
system, you can grab the self-contained build system at:

http://today.clemson.edu/temp/db-3.1.17-1-src.tar.bz2

Untar to a temporary dir and run the buildscript like so:
./db-3.1.17-1.sh prep

Then edit the configure script [db-3.1.17/dist/configure] adding your
-xv flags to line 1 and line 155 [exec "$CONFIG_SHELL" "-xv"]:

Then run:
./db-3.1.17-1.sh conf

It should run fine on win2k, but winme/9x it doesn't.  I'm going to
try and examine it some more, but I thought I'd bring you in on it.

Cheers,
Nicholas

http://health.yahoo.com

[-- Attachment #2: configure.log.bz2 --]

* RE: autoconf issues [often when upgrading from 2.13->2.53a]
@ 2002-07-23 11:50 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-23 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

Yes, autoconf uses sed many, many times.  What is often possible is to

@ 2002-07-22 17:00 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-22 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-22 16:41 Harig, Mark A.