* NTVDM error
@ 2002-09-04 13:59 Andreas Hadler
From: Andreas Hadler @ 2002-09-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I've seen the problem of NTVDM-error messages on W2k, generated while
e.g. building cross-compilers (powerpc-eabi in my case), sometimes asked
and answered in the archives, but I've never seen any confirmation, that
e.g. replacing symlinks with direct copies is the ultimate remedy.

Can anyone, who was concerned by this problem, comment on the remedies?

I'd love to see another way than replacing the about 2500 symlinks of my
cygwin installation with the real files - not because of the work, which
is scriptable, more worried about the disk space, but mostly because I
can not judge, what will break on updates or system changes.

Kind regards
   Andreas Hadler

--
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
Pablo Picasso

* Re: NTVDM error
@ 2002-09-04 14:19 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-04 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:58:57PM +0200, Andreas Hadler wrote:
>I've seen the problem of NTVDM-error messages on W2k, generated while
>e.g. building cross-compilers (powerpc-eabi in my case), sometimes asked
>and answered in the archives, but I've never seen any confirmation, that
>e.g. replacing symlinks with direct copies is the ultimate remedy.

"the problem of NTVDM-error messages"?

You're working under an apparent misapprehension that there is a known
problem with symlinks and cygwin.  That is not the case.

More details will be required.

cgf

* Re: NTVDM error
@ 2002-09-04 15:23   ` Andreas Hadler
From: Andreas Hadler @ 2002-09-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:58:57PM +0200, Andreas Hadler wrote:
> >I've seen the problem of NTVDM-error messages on W2k, generated while
> >e.g. building cross-compilers (powerpc-eabi in my case), sometimes asked
> >and answered in the archives, but I've never seen any confirmation, that
> >e.g. replacing symlinks with direct copies is the ultimate remedy.
>
> "the problem of NTVDM-error messages"?
>
> You're working under an apparent misapprehension that there is a known
> problem with symlinks and cygwin.  That is not the case.

There was no offense intended.

I get two (exactly) NTVDM illegal instruction boxes when building an
powerpc-eabi crosscompiler, hosted on cygwin, using a (slightly
modified) script from Bill Gatliff
(http://crossgcc.billgatliff.com/build-crossgcc.sh).

The first one occurs when "checking for ANSI C header files..." during
"Configuring in powerpc-eabi/libiberty" for the full blown gcc. It seems
to be independent of the source version and independent of my installed
compiler version (if the build process comes as far).

I've seen the problem of NTVDM errors reported more than one time in
this list. The most reasonable explanation seems to be the (undesired)
execution of some non-executable code, like as trying to execute
symlinks, as some posters suggested. So before digging deeper, my
intention was to get result reports, e.g. from previos OPs.

I am in no way under the apprehension that this is a (well) known
problem, neither with symlinks, nor with cygwin - au contraire, it seems
to happen in just some not well analysed cases (mostly because of the
OPs not reporting). If I'm able to help with my observation I'm glad to
do so. But please bear with me - concerning cygwin, i'm just a dumb
user, loving to have the unix tools handy on my windoze box.

Kind regards
   Andreas Hadler

until you hear them speak

* Re: NTVDM error
@ 2002-09-04 20:21     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-04 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 12:23:25AM +0200, Andreas Hadler wrote:
>There was no offense intended.

I was not offended.  I am habitually exasperated by people who offer bug
reports with no details but with wild theories about the causes of their
problems gleaned from misreading of email archives.

>The first one occurs when "checking for ANSI C header files..." during
>"Configuring in powerpc-eabi/libiberty" for the full blown gcc. It seems
>to be independent of the source version and independent of my installed
>compiler version (if the build process comes as far).

Checking for ANSI C header files does not scream out "Symlink problem!"
to me.

>I've seen the problem of NTVDM errors reported more than one time in
>this list. The most reasonable explanation seems to be the (undesired)
>execution of some non-executable code, like as trying to execute
>symlinks, as some posters suggested.

But, if you think about it, if Cygwin was actually trying to execute a
symlink directly rather than the program it referred to then it would be
broken.

If you are referring to trying to run a symlink from, say, the command
line, or the Start->run menu then, that could be a problem.  Symlinks
are a cygwin construction and Windows doesn't know anything about them.

When you are running a configure script you are in a cygwin environmennt.
Cygwin would be a very poor UNIX emulation environment if you were unable
to run a symlink linked to a program.

>I am in no way under the apprehension that this is a (well) known
>problem, neither with symlinks, nor with cygwin - au contraire, it seems
>to happen in just some not well analysed cases (mostly because of the
>OPs not reporting). If I'm able to help with my observation I'm glad to
>do so. But please bear with me - concerning cygwin, i'm just a dumb
>user, loving to have the unix tools handy on my windoze box.

I think someone else hit the nail on the head.  The cross configure
script may be building non-Windows applications and trying to run them.
On UNIX that would cause a nice clean failure.  On Windows, it will
cause other strange and random results.

cgf

* Re: NTVDM error
       [not found] <3D848382FB72E249812901444C6BDB1D69BB9B@exchange.timesys.com>
@ 2002-09-04 14:22 ` Andreas Hadler
From: Andreas Hadler @ 2002-09-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robb, Sam; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Sam,

thats a good one I've not seen yet. I had consulted the crossgcc faqs of
Bill Gatliff and Scott Howard, but did not find this problem mentioned.

Is a crossgcc mailing list still alive (besides of the target specific
ones)?

Kind regards
   Andreas Hadler

--
REAL PROGRAMMERS DONT COPY
But software engineers reuse.

"Robb, Sam" wrote:

> Andreas,
>
>   When do you see these errors?  If it's occuring as
> part of the cross-compiler build process, you might be
> seeing configure trying to build & execute powerpc-eabi
> code on your NT machine:
>
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2002-01/msg00067.html
>
> -Samrobb

* RE: NTVDM error