* Re: telnet - connection refused in windows xp home
@ 2002-12-08  7:27 kumarchi
From: kumarchi @ 2002-12-08  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, elfyn-cygwin

here is what i get (using my administrator 'privilege')
inetd --install-as-service

inetd does not show up in services

when I run

net start inetd

macro$ollar replies

The service is not responding to the control function --(must be some type of
Orwellian monster!)

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186

@ 2002-12-11 19:30 kumarchi
From: kumarchi @ 2002-12-11 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria, cygwin

That did the trick. Now the telnet etc works!

1. I added c:\cygwin\bin to the WINDOWS path

2. I also I modified the cygwin bash shell I prepended /usr/sbin.

thanx

       [not found] <E18LAVz-0005DV-00@quimby.gnus.org>
@ 2002-12-09 22:49 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-12-09 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-12-08 15:10 kumarchi
From: kumarchi @ 2002-12-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-12-08 11:41 kumarchi
From: kumarchi @ 2002-12-08 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did the steps and when I did the netstat after rebooting
I did not see the port 23.
The event log also does not have anything unusual.

Anyway the original problem in firing up inetd as an Administrator which I
understand is not sufficient. I thought the permissions are not sufficient and
you have to somehow look like the SYSTEM itself.

@ 2002-12-08  8:01 elfyn-cygwin

@ 2002-12-08  6:41 elfyn-cygwin

@ 2002-12-08  5:47 kumarchi
From: kumarchi @ 2002-12-08  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I think what you mean is that you do not have the means to set the local or
domain security policy and give the user you want to run inetd as the
*special* permissions required to RunAs service wise. This facility does
not exist in the Home edition of Windows XP, where you can grant security
policy permissions, but as I have heard it does support it in Professional.

As you cant change these permissions you'll just have to use the
LocalSystem (SYSTEM) account to run the inetd service. When using XP Home I
was able to get all of the cygwin daemons I use (ftpd,inetd,sshd) running
as well as they were on their Windows 2000 counterparts. The LocalSystem
account is the default user to run a service as on Windows NT4/5 and XP.

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk

You are right. However I am unable to figure out how to login as LocalSystem
(SYSTEM in /etc/passwd?).

@ 2002-12-07 22:55 elfyn-cygwin

       [not found] <E18Kmi3-0005JJ-00@virtual.mrf.mail.rcn.net>
@ 2002-12-07 22:10 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-12-07 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kumarchi, cygwin

@ 2002-12-07 14:07 kumarchi
From: kumarchi @ 2002-12-07 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am unable to use remote connection to my pc(s) running windows xp home.
After going through the inetutils documentation, and looking  at the services
under windows xp, I can see that inetd is not running. I am also unable to
start the inetd. According to the documentation it must be because some
special permissions I need but which I cannot set in xp home.

Is there any work around?