* postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-11 10:33 Heitzso
From: Heitzso @ 2002-12-11 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I just updated to current postgresql and got
past the ipc-daemon upgrade problem (yes it's
noted in the README) but then got snagged on
the LC_MESSAGES EN_US setting in postgresql.conf.

Note I did cd into the data directory and I
deleted everything, then rebuilt with initdb,
	cd /cygdrive/d/postgresql/data
	rm -rf *
	initdb -D /cygdrive/d/postgresql/data
then, when running by hand, as in:
	postmaster -D /cygdrive/d/postgresql/data
I get the following error message:
	FATAL: invalid value for option 'LC_MESSAGES': 'EN_US'

I got around this problem (??) by commenting out
the 4 localization lines at the end of postgresql.conf
in the data directory, but would greatly
appreciate any suggestions as to what's south
with my setup that would cause this.  I've scanned the
archives and didn't see anyone else reporting this problem
so I assume it is my configuration.

Note that I'm running in a spec'ed data directory that is
not standard, if that's an issue.

Thanks,
Heitzso

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-12  4:36 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-12  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Heitzso,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:48:20PM -0500, Heitzso wrote:
> I just updated to current postgresql and got past the ipc-daemon
> upgrade problem (yes it's noted in the README) but then got snagged on
> the LC_MESSAGES EN_US setting in postgresql.conf.
>
> [snip]

I would try the pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org list -- you may have better
luck there.

Jason

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-12  5:49 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-12  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Heitzso,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:48:20PM -0500, Heitzso wrote:
> I got around this problem (??) by commenting out the 4 localization
> lines at the end of postgresql.conf in the data directory, but would
> greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what's south with my setup
> that would cause this.

It appears that having LANG=en_us set before you ran initdb caused this
problem.  My recommendation it to either unset LANG or use LANG=C before
you rerun initdb.

IIRC, Cygwin does not fully support locale.

Jason

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-13 13:46   ` Jari Aalto+list.cygwin
From: Jari Aalto+list.cygwin @ 2002-12-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Thu 2002-12-12 Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> list.cygwin
> Heitzso,
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:48:20PM -0500, Heitzso wrote:
>> I got around this problem (??) by commenting out the 4 localization
>> lines at the end of postgresql.conf in the data directory, but would
>> greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what's south with my setup
>> that would cause this.
>
> It appears that having LANG=en_us set before you ran initdb caused this
> problem.  My recommendation it to either unset LANG or use LANG=C before
> you rerun initdb.
>
> IIRC, Cygwin does not fully support locale.

Thank you, May I suggest that the documentation says:

    $ env LC_ALL=C initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

Jari

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-17  5:28     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-17  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jari,

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:44:30PM +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> * Thu 2002-12-12 Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> list.cygwin
> > It appears that having LANG=en_us set before you ran initdb caused
> > this problem.  My recommendation it to either unset LANG or use
> > LANG=C before you rerun initdb.
> >
> May I suggest that the documentation says:
>
>     $ env LC_ALL=C initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

IMO, the above is unnecessary unless the default Cygwin environment sets
any of locale related environment variables to something other that "C".

Jason

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-18 14:44       ` Jari Aalto+list.cygwin
From: Jari Aalto+list.cygwin @ 2002-12-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Tue 2002-12-17 Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> list.cygwin

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:44:30PM +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
>> * Thu 2002-12-12 Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> list.cygwin
>> > It appears that having LANG=en_us set before you ran initdb caused
>> > this problem.  My recommendation it to either unset LANG or use
>> > LANG=C before you rerun initdb.
>> >
>> May I suggest that the documentation says:
>>
>>     $ env LC_ALL=C initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> IMO, the above is unnecessary unless the default Cygwin environment sets
> any of locale related environment variables to something other that "C".

I have set LC_ALL=en_US in my Cygwin setup and it took quite a while
yo giess why did the 7.3 upgrade failed. It gives mysterious error
messages when the initdb was run with that locale in effect.

I still think it would be good idea suggest in Cygwin/postgres
documentaion to say that the loate is crucial when database is created.
Hence he safest way:

     $ env LC_ALL=C initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

I remember that there was something special with locate C?

Jari

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-20 11:40         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-20 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jari,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 12:08:26AM +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> > IMO, the above is unnecessary unless the default Cygwin environment
> > sets any of locale related environment variables to something other
> > that "C".
>
> I have set LC_ALL=en_US in my Cygwin setup and it took quite a while
> yo giess why did the 7.3 upgrade failed. It gives mysterious error
> messages when the initdb was run with that locale in effect.
>
> I still think it would be good idea suggest in Cygwin/postgres
> documentaion to say that the loate is crucial when database is
> created.  Hence he safest way:
>
>      $ env LC_ALL=C initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

OK, you wore me down.  I will add a locale issue to the next iteration
of my README.

Jason

* Re: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-12  8:26 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-12  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Heitzso,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:34:37AM -0500, Heitzso wrote:
> I'm guessing there's another environment variable that initdb may be
> working with?

Grepping initdb yields:

    $ fgrep LANG /usr/bin/initdb
        for var in "PGLC_$arg" PGLOCALE LC_ALL "LC_$arg" LANG; do

Did you set any of the above?

Jason

* RE: postgresql postmaster and LC_MESSAGES EN_US problem
@ 2002-12-12  7:33 Heitzso
From: Heitzso @ 2002-12-12  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Just want to note that my LANG was not set when
I ran initdb which left me with LC_MESSAGES="EN_US".
I tried setting LANG=C in my environment and wiped
my postgres data directory and re initdb'ed and still
ended up with LC_MESSAGES="EN_US".

I'm guessing there's another environment variable that
initdb may be working with?

In any case, just commenting out the last 4 lines
in postgresql.conf seems to take care of the problem
for now.