* Re: LFTP: cygwin and setupterm
@ 2002-12-16 23:54 elfyn-cygwin
From: elfyn-cygwin @ 2002-12-16 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just checked on both of my servers, they symlink /usr/include/term.h with
ncurses/term.h, running RedHat 6.1 and 8.0. Should cygwin/ncurses do the
same?

  The QNX proprietary term_* functions have been deprecated in favor of
  ncurses. ncurses is a set of terminal-independent routines for painting
  screens and handling input events......

  .....The file /usr/include/term.h is now an ncurses header file; you'll
  find the old <term.h> in /usr/include/sys/term.h. An error message is
  displayed if you combine the old term_* and ncurses header files.

Btw, I put the below __CYGWIN__ mention in because it still complained even
when when it was passed the sufficient defines in CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
before running configure.

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-17  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:37:45AM -0500, elfyn-cygwin@mail.exposure.org.uk wrote:
>Just checked on both of my servers, they symlink /usr/include/term.h with
>ncurses/term.h, running RedHat 6.1 and 8.0. Should cygwin/ncurses do the
>same?
>
>  The QNX proprietary term_* functions have been deprecated in favor of
>  ncurses. ncurses is a set of terminal-independent routines for painting
>  screens and handling input events......
>
>  .....The file /usr/include/term.h is now an ncurses header file; you'll
>  find the old <term.h> in /usr/include/sys/term.h. An error message is
>  displayed if you combine the old term_* and ncurses header files.

Since the code clearly checks for the situation of finding the needed headers
in /usr/include/ncurses, I don't see any reason why this package should be
used as a justification for adding a symlink.

>Btw, I put the below __CYGWIN__ mention in because it still complained even
>when when it was passed the sufficient defines in CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
>before running configure.

Usually when I see things like HAVE_NCURSES_CURSES_H, it suggests to me
that the author of the source code is correctly attempting to set things
up in a general, non-system-specific way and is testing for various
capabilities and oddities of the operating environment.  System-specific
checks like "#ifdef ultrix" in source quickly become unmanageable.
That's why HAVE_NCURSES_CURSES_H is nice.

There's no reason why it couldn't work in this scenario.  Of course, if it
"complained" maybe all you need to do is rebuke it sternly.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: gcc-mingw-20020817-3
@ 2002-12-17  7:17   ` Jim
From: Jim @ 2002-12-17  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: gcc-mingw-20020817-3
@ 2002-12-17 10:28     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-17 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 06:47:20AM -0800, Jim wrote:
>Thank you.

For what?  I'm still mystified as to why you didn't download
this package to begin with or at least reinstall it as suggested.

cgf

* Re: LFTP: Cygwin and setupterm
@ 2002-12-17  5:07   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-12-17  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Frédéric L. W. Meunier", cygwin

This thread has a lot of misinformation and just plain confusion.

For starters, term.h != termcap.h.  Some messages in this thread talk
about term.h, others about termcap.h -- and seem to mean one when
they're talking about the other.  Sigh.

Also, /usr/include/termcap.h is NOT the ncurses version (on a stock
cygwin system).  The ncurses termcap compatibility header file is
/usr/include/ncurses/termcapn.h (note the extra 'n')

No, the standard ncurses package doesn't put a term.h -> ncurses/term.h
symlink.  It probably should; my linux box includes these symlinks that
the ncurses cygwin package doesn't:
   /usr/include/term.h -> ncurses/term.h
   /usr/include/eti.h  -> ncurses/eti.h
For now, do it yourself.  I've added this change to my ncurses TODO
list, so the next ncurses release will do this for you.

As far as Frederic's problem goes, I'd create the new symlinks, and
re-run configure (after deleting config.cache).  Hopefully that will
make the changes to lftp_tinfo.cc unnecessary.

[[ ONLY for the brave; NO FURTHER support for this variant will be
forthcoming ]]
If you want to use ncurses as a complete replacement for libtermcap
(when compiling; this procedure will NOT change the runtime behavior of
already-compiled programs), then you need to:
   rename
     /usr/include/ncurses/termcapn.h to
     /usr/include/ncurses/termcap.h
Do NOT copy it into /usr/include -- the "real" termcap.h should live
there.  [DON'T DO THIS: You'd want to uninstall the termcap package BUT
YOU CAN'T].  The problem is, the termcap package includes the header and
library *as well as* /etc/termcap.   You want to keep /etc/termcap; so
you must manually delete /usr/include/termcap.h, /usr/lib/libtermcap.a,
and /usr/man/man3/termcap.3.   And they'll reappear the next time you
update the termcap package.

Once you've done all this, if the package you are compiling is set up
properly, it will see termcap.h in /usr/include/ncurses, and use it (and
will automatically link using -lcurses or -lncurses instead of
-ltermcap.  But only if your autoconfigury stuff is handled properly.
If it is not, then it's a bug in the package you're trying to compile --
go talk to them about it.

--Chuck

@ 2002-12-16 21:30   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-16 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-12-16 21:08 ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2002-12-16 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, elfyn-cygwin@mail.exposure.org.uk wrote:

> May not have been the right thing to do but got past that
> problem.

Actually I think you and Larry are right. What would happen if
I had /usr/include/termcap.h from libtermcap and not ncurses ?
I don't think LFTP or anything should mix headers.

I have the same setup on Linux. No libtermcap (it's a symlink
to libncurses), though I made the /usr/include/termcap.h
symlink. It's probably right to have the symlink if libtermcap
isn't installed.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org}

* RE: LFTP: Cygwin and setupterm
@ 2002-12-16 20:51 ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2002-12-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-12-16 20:46     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-12-16 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric L. W. Meunier; +Cc: cygwin, lftp-devel

At 11:46 PM 12/16/2002, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
> > At 11:03 PM 12/16/2002, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > >Anybody know what's wrong ? I tried to compile LFTP 2.6.3 with
> > >ncurses 5.2-8 and got the following:
> > >
> > >/cygdrive/g/Linux/lftp/src/lftp_tinfo.cc: In function `void init_terminfo()':
> > >/cygdrive/g/Linux/lftp/src/lftp_tinfo.cc:50: implicit declaration of function `int setupterm(...)'
> > >
> > >There's the following in lftp_tinfo.cc:
> > >
> > >#if defined(HAVE_TIGETSTR)
> > >static bool terminfo_ok = true;
> > >static void init_terminfo()
> > >{
> > >    static bool initted = false;
> > >    if(initted) return;
> > >    initted = true;
> > >
> > >    int errret=0;
> > >    if(setupterm(NULL, 1, &errret) == ERR)
> > >       terminfo_ok = false;
> > >}
> > >#endif
> > >
> > >The same error someone reported some time ago with 2.6.2:
> > >
> > >http://www.mail-archive.com/lftp@uniyar.ac.ru/msg00888.html
> > >
> > >I also e-mailed the lftp-devel mailing-list.
> >

> > This is a trick question, right?  I mean, you know how to
> > search for a prototype in the system include directories
> > don't you?  I'm assuming that you have a real question here
> > but I can't figure out what it is. Can you enlighten us/me?
>
>Sorry, I just found
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg00122.html
>
>I had to make the symlink (I thought it'd be in ncurses) and
>run configure again, since just typing make isn't enough.

Actually sounds to me like this a configuration issue for LFTP.
I don't think a change to ncurses should be necessary to make
LFTP build.  It seems to me that this would be a problem on
other platforms using ncurses as well if that were the case.

>I can't reproduce the other problem reported by George Lefter.

Good! :-)

* RE: LFTP: Cygwin and setupterm
@ 2002-12-16 20:30 elfyn-cygwin

@ 2002-12-16 20:13   ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2002-12-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin, lftp-devel

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 11:03 PM 12/16/2002, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> >Anybody know what's wrong ? I tried to compile LFTP 2.6.3 with
> >ncurses 5.2-8 and got the following:
> >
> >/cygdrive/g/Linux/lftp/src/lftp_tinfo.cc: In function `void init_terminfo()':
> >/cygdrive/g/Linux/lftp/src/lftp_tinfo.cc:50: implicit declaration of function `int setupterm(...)'
> >
> >There's the following in lftp_tinfo.cc:
> >
> >#if defined(HAVE_TIGETSTR)
> >static bool terminfo_ok = true;
> >static void init_terminfo()
> >{
> >    static bool initted = false;
> >    if(initted) return;
> >    initted = true;
> >
> >    int errret=0;
> >    if(setupterm(NULL, 1, &errret) == ERR)
> >       terminfo_ok = false;
> >}
> >#endif
> >
> >The same error someone reported some time ago with 2.6.2:
> >
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/lftp@uniyar.ac.ru/msg00888.html
> >
> >I also e-mailed the lftp-devel mailing-list.
>

> This is a trick question, right?  I mean, you know how to
> search for a prototype in the system include directories
> don't you?  I'm assuming that you have a real question here
> but I can't figure out what it is. Can you enlighten us/me?

Sorry, I just found

I had to make the symlink (I thought it'd be in ncurses) and
run configure again, since just typing make isn't enough.

I can't reproduce the other problem reported by George Lefter.

I configured with --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-nls
--disable-static

I'm C'cing lftp-devel so that others know the answer in case
they have the same problem.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org}

* Re: LFTP: Cygwin and setupterm
@ 2002-12-16 20:13 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-12-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric L. W. Meunier, cygwin

At 11:03 PM 12/16/2002, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>Anybody know what's wrong ? I tried to compile LFTP 2.6.3 with
>ncurses 5.2-8 and got the following:
>
>/cygdrive/g/Linux/lftp/src/lftp_tinfo.cc: In function `void init_terminfo()':
>/cygdrive/g/Linux/lftp/src/lftp_tinfo.cc:50: implicit declaration of function `int setupterm(...)'
>
>There's the following in lftp_tinfo.cc:
>
>#if defined(HAVE_TIGETSTR)
>static bool terminfo_ok = true;
>static void init_terminfo()
>{
>    static bool initted = false;
>    if(initted) return;
>    initted = true;
>
>    int errret=0;
>    if(setupterm(NULL, 1, &errret) == ERR)
>       terminfo_ok = false;
>}
>#endif
>
>The same error someone reported some time ago with 2.6.2:
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/lftp@uniyar.ac.ru/msg00888.html
>
>I also e-mailed the lftp-devel mailing-list.

This is a trick question, right?  I mean, you know how to search for a
prototype in the system include directories don't you?  I'm assuming
that you have a real question here but I can't figure out what it is.
Can you enlighten us/me?

BTW, the answer to Joe's question that you reference above is "No,
setupterm() is not supposed to be part of libc (libcygwin.a).

* LFTP: Cygwin and setupterm
@ 2002-12-16 19:57 Frédéric L. W. Meunier