* Packaging software built with Cygwin
@ 2003-02-04 22:34 Jay Maynard
From: Jay Maynard @ 2003-02-04 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is probably an FAQ, but I haven't been able to find any answers on the
FAQ page at cygwin.com.

I'm the maintainer of Hercules, an emulator for IBM mainframe systems that
runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and other Unix-style OSes, and Windows via Cygwin.
It's distributed under an OSD-compliant license (the QPL).

Currently, we distribute the package without any Cygwin DLLs. Many of our
users would like to install Hercules and the necessary DLLs without having
to install of Cygwin, or any more than they have to; they're not interested
in the Cygwin environment more than is required to run Hercules. Further,
since Cygwin is such a moving target, I'd like to be able to give the users
an easy way to install the version of the DLLs that corresponds to the
version of Cygwin which I used to build the package.

Under what terms can I distribute the DLLs? Can I just build up a .zip file
with the required files and a copy of the GPL, or will I have to maintain
multiple versions of the source code for download as well? (If the latter,
I'll probably blow it off entirely; I don't have that kind of disk space.)
If I can't distribute the files themselves, is there a simple way to
distribute a file that can be fed to setup.exe that will result in only the
needed files being downloaded?

* Re: Packaging software built with cygwin
@ 2003-02-05 20:44 Franz Wolfhagen
From: Franz Wolfhagen @ 2003-02-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

One of the things that your users have been bitten of with the newer
cygwin1.dll is that they impose a stronger authentication mechanism (ntsec
is on per default). This is often brought up here by users that are have
upgraded their version.

Please (re)consider supporting a cygwin package via the cygwin setup - I
can assure you that your application will be much more visible if you are
able to do that (or have somebody to support you doing that) - I  would
love to have a maintained hercules environment on my machine allthough the
license problems for Z/OS in my environment would make me violate the Z/OS
license (now compare that to the GBL ;-)....

If I find the time I will try to install Hercules on my Cygwin environment
which is allways kept on the (b)leeding edge...- - please do not leave us
too soon....

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Franz Wolfhagen

* Re: Packaging software built with cygwin
@ 2003-02-06 13:24 Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2003-02-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmaynard, cygwin

> > The source tarball for cygwin is 4.6M.  I don't understand why this
> > is a huge hardship but, frankly, I don't really care.

> 4.6 MB times how many versions will I need to keep around? Before I removed
> them from the Hercules site, I had four sets of the Cygwin DLLs,
> corresponding to four versions of Hercules they were needed for. Every time
> I release a new version of Hercules, that's another source tarball I'd need.

I realize this is pretty late in the discussion, but I have a suggestion that
might work. Online, you could distribute only the latest, known-working version
of Hercules with cygwin1.dll and the source to that version of cygwin1.dll--no,

you don't need the source to gcc (that's used to build it) nor the source to
TeX (that's used for the documentation) nor the source to Linux (that's also
GPL'd), why would you?

For older versions, you could put a note stating that due to online space
requirements older cygwin versions are not available online. If you don't have
offline space issues, you could keep an archive around on your personal machine
(or on CD or tape or punch-card or wherever) for emergencies.
Hopefully in the future some good bug reports can be used to track down
whatever is causing the backward-compaitibility to break, so this would no
longer be necessary.

Hope this helps and have a nice day.